Beautiful sunsets

T

tvde

A white balance experiment

sunset.jpg

Upvote 0
Feb 26, 2012
AB
Single shot HDR from Nikon D800 taken at Lesser Slave Lake, Alberta, Canada. Summer 2012.
Original jpg from camera is below.

A few more as well from awesome post-storm sunset.

Attachments

• DSC_0486.jpg
    DSC_0486.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 2,877
  • DSC_0485.jpg
    DSC_0485.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 2,856
  • dsc_0438_900x600.jpg
    dsc_0438_900x600.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 2,934
  • DSC_0438.jpg
    DSC_0438.jpg
    159.2 KB · Views: 4,443
Upvote 0
Feb 26, 2012
AB
marekjoz said:
@Aglet - from what? ;D I mean the first "from"

Haha! ;D
That's the beauty of using a system with super low noise; take one shot exposed to not clip the highlight areas and bring the rest back in post for an HDR effect without having to try bracket a physically changing scene.

I can't do this kind of shot with my Canon gear without running into serious noise problems in the darker areas. My 7D and 5D2 are terrible at this kind of work. 5D3 isn't much better than 5D2 from my limited testing. Hopefully a few FF body from Canon with improve this.

In fact, I can continue to push the exposure curve in that first shot to the point that the beach in the lower right corner is up to midtones will full detail and only a bit of chroma noise than can be processed out. An impressive imaging machine, that's why I bought one and that's whey my Canon gear gets used less.

Upvote 0
Aglet said:
marekjoz said:

Haha! ;D
That's the beauty of using a system with super low noise; take one shot exposed to not clip the highlight areas and bring the rest back in post for an HDR effect without having to try bracket a physically changing scene.

I can't do this kind of shot with my Canon gear without running into serious noise problems in the darker areas. My 7D and 5D2 are terrible at this kind of work. 5D3 isn't much better than 5D2 from my limited testing. Hopefully a few FF body from Canon with improve this.

In fact, I can continue to push the exposure curve in that first shot to the point that the beach in the lower right corner is up to midtones will full detail and only a bit of chroma noise than can be processed out. An impressive imaging machine, that's why I bought one and that's whey my Canon gear gets used less.
You'd be surprised to hear that others see a lot of room in workflow with current gear. Don't let your tools limit yourself :)

2jjmqMEYbGI.jpg

10hLDwpPpFQ.jpg

Upvote 0
Aglet said:
marekjoz said:

Haha! ;D

I didn't have problems with noise in my shots, they were with a 5D MkIII, no problems with a MkII either. That's what grad filters are for.

Upvote 0
Feb 26, 2012
AB
Kernuak said:
I didn't have problems with noise in my shots, they were with a 5D MkIII, no problems with a MkII either. That's what grad filters are for.

I like the shots you posted, which look like NDgrad at capture?..

When possible I'd rather apply ND grad in post. The first sunset shot I posted used 2 mild ones applied in LR3 + fill light and +EV.

The other 2 shots have NO filters, capture or post, just color and contrast. I was shooting fast, got about a dozen wicked images in about 2 minutes, various orientations, while also hand-holding my 60D which I used for about 50 shots over a longer period. I can't wing an ND grad that fast if I wanted to. The 60D's shots all look great too, no need to push any shadows all the time.

That first shot tho - I know no way in hades my 5D2 could do that. It's too noisy. Push 2 EV with it and it's already showing plaid shadows.

Upvote 0