best camera for a toddler

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
Hi All,
Master 2 is about to turn 3; he currently walks around everywhere with a 'camera' he made out of cardboard, so I think it's time for a real one. Any recommendations?
Thanks!
Yup, here:

https://petapixel.com/2018/12/19/leica-is-selling-m-camera-lego-sets/

TBPhotography-5586_dbff4715-21d4-4b0a-bcf9-7381abc1aa18.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

dcm

Enjoy the gear you have!
CR Pro
Apr 18, 2013
Colorado, USA
Here's one for starters, if you don't have an old PowerShot point and shoot that you don't mind giving up for the cause. My granddaughter started with my daughter's SD300. An old Olympus tough would also be a good choice. Key factors are small, simple, tough, etc. Here's my thoughts in another thread.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Hi All,
Master 2 is about to turn 3; he currently walks around everywhere with a 'camera' he made out of cardboard, so I think it's time for a real one. Any recommendations?
Thanks!
I have a three year old grandson who likes to follow around "papa" and do everything I do. I've set him up with an old film camera and lens he loves to carry around and pretend to take photos with. He operates the film advance and knows to press the shutter button. I think, in a year or two, I'll get him an old DSLR and lens. All his toys are fair game for throwing or hammering with something, but he is always gentle with his little camera and copies me... cleaning the lens, putting it back in the case, etc. I love being a grandfather. My wife and I are raising him 5 days a week as my daughter works long hours and does a lot of traveling for Microsoft. I'm very happy to step in for him vs daycare. Our current projects include building simple circuits (battery, switch, light, buzzer, etc.) and disassembling/reassembling old items. He's got his own tool box and tools... including a multi-meter. The photo was taken with an old Auto Mamiya/Sekor 55mm f/1.4 adapted to my R.
Auto Mamiya Sekor 55mm 1 web.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I have a three year old grandson who likes to follow around "papa" and do everything I do. I've set him up with an old film camera and lens he loves to carry around and pretend to take photos with. He operates the film advance and knows to press the shutter button. I think, in a year or two, I'll get him an old DSLR and lens. All his toys are fair game for throwing or hammering with something, but he is always gentle with his little camera and copies me... cleaning the lens, putting it back in the case, etc. I love being a grandfather. My wife and I are raising him 5 days a week as my daughter works long hours and does a lot of traveling for Microsoft. I'm very happy to step in for him vs daycare. Our current projects include building simple circuits (battery, switch, light, buzzer, etc.) and disassembling/reassembling old items. He's got his own tool box and tools... including a multi-meter. The photo was taken with an old Auto Mamiya/Sekor 55mm f/1.4 adapted to my R.
View attachment 190709
You are doing a great job!

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I offer the following experience with grandkids and similar cameras: 1) Understand how many images they can hold before someone needs to download or erase or they automatically overwrite. Toddlers tend to 'machine gun' shoot random stuff. 2) Understand the image quality they will get -- most are marginal and digital zooms can be really poor. Toddlers get disappointed when images on mom's cell phone look great and theirs are blurry blobs. I like the old cell phone approach except most cell phones won't take the constant dropping, throwing and running over that seems part of the game.

On the other hand, by age 8 or 9 our grandson was carefully using my son's old 20D and EM10 and shooting video on his mom's old cell phone! Nothing Pulitzer worthy yet, but the interest is clearly there. It's great to see you encouraging the same!

Upvote 0
View attachment 190709
That's wonderful!

Upvote 0
Not exactly a toddler, but my grandson with a little liking for art, inherited my last body camera from when I worked. Twas a pounded, but working S90. This year, he is getting a gently used M6, as I upgraded to an M6 MkII to participate in the mirrorless revolution(Act II). The S90 will be going to a wild man 3rd grader, so we will have to see if it survives long enough to get to his sister who is going into 1st grade. Time will tell, eh?

Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
When I was 4 or 5 I got a Kodak Brownie (long, long time ago...........)
I don't know my age, but I did use Brownie cameras very early. Later my uncle got me into doing contact prints off of the 616-size negatives. The paper made prints more gorgeous than what you could get from enlarging paper, though, of course, small. When I was 21, I bought an enlarger, and did darkroom work, both color and black-and-white, until I started shooting digitally.

Upvote 0