Best lens for photographing paintings

pwp

Oct 25, 2010
I have a couple of clients I shoot paintings for, and this area looks like it's going to expand via positive referrals.

Up until now I have shot art with tethered 5D4, 70-200 f/2.8isII at around f/8 with polarizer and also polarized lighting. For larger works the 24-70 f/2.8II gets the job.

A bit of reading on the subject suggests I should be using flat field glass for better results, regardless of the lens corrections that Lr can automatically apply. I have a L 100mm f/2.8is macro which I imagine is flat field, but 100mm is frequently too long for most paintings I've been shooting.

Any suggestions on an appropriate lens? I see Canon has an ancient design 50 f/3.5 macro and a 60mm macro with useful tripod collar for quick rotation. There is also a pre-owned, superseded 45mm TS-E to consider.

-pw

Jun 12, 2015
Macro lenses generally have low distortion, which I suppose is important for photographing art.. With regards to flat field of focus, my impression is that such problems mostly disappear when stopping down, so it might not be that big of a problem? I would consider the Zeiss 50mm macro planar f2, or the newer milvus version, although those might be to contrasty for your use.

Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2012
I regularly copy artwork and have used a variety of lenses on my 5DsR.

I use a 100 macro and a Sigma 50 f1.4 (NOT Art) and get superb results.

I would note that the 50 macro is no slouch despite its age as the formula of sharp contrasty macro lenses were solved a long time ago. I would go for that lens.

All the noise about absolute sharpness, contrast and IQ is just silly. Macro lenses from almost anyone will outperform the resolution of any sensor you will find to put behind it.

Upvote 0