Big Announcements Coming Next Week [CR3]

Perio

EOS RP
Nov 12, 2013
281
2
I'm sure whatever Canon releases will be of a great quality, and specs will at least match best offerings from Nikon and Sony. I just hope that Canon makes the price more comparable to that of Nikon and Sony offerings. Otherwise, unfortunately I won't be able to pay premium for a new Canon body :( Please please Canon, don't announce a $3500-4000 high-MP camera.
 

wsmith96

Advancing Amateur
Aug 17, 2012
923
17
Texas
Do any of you think that there is a change of a 6D style camera with the 70D focus system and maybe an articulated screen this year?
 

jeffa4444

EOS 6D MK II
Feb 28, 2013
1,457
108
66
Seeing as were speculating and given both the 5dMKIII and 6d were launched in the same year six months apart could well be their replacements that are coming.
Aside from high MP, wider DR and more detailed colorimagery would be a boon. One aimed at Sports / Wildlife / Fashion the other aimed at Travel / Landscape, both rugged & weather sealed.

61 point or more AF for the Sports / Wildlife / Fashion all cross type, 35 or more for Travel / Landscape again all cross-type. The travel camera would be smaller & lighter but like the Sport camera have two card slots and they would both use the same batteries. For the first time Canon should offer tiltable screens at least (similar to Olympus OM-D E-M5), both should have wi-fi and the travel camera GPS.
 

gsealy

EOS RP
Jan 3, 2014
345
14
Perio said:
I'm sure whatever Canon releases will be of a great quality, and specs will at least match best offerings from Nikon and Sony. I just hope that Canon makes the price more comparable to that of Nikon and Sony offerings. Otherwise, unfortunately I won't be able to pay premium for a new Canon body :( Please please Canon, don't announce a $3500-4000 high-MP camera.
My guess is that is exactly what we are going to get, somewhere around $4K.
 

Dylan777

EOS 1D MK II
Nov 17, 2011
5,515
6
lw said:
Dylan777 said:
The MOST important factor for Canon to gain ground in mirrorless world is EF adapter to mirrorless. If they can come up with adapter with decent AF speed, better than current ones on the market, I think that will give Sony, Fuji etc... good run.
Enlighten me on why they need an (EF adaptor to mirrorless) "adaptor to mirrorless with decent AF speed"?

In what way does the current EF-EOS M Mount Adaptor affect "AF speed"? And how would you improve it?

Or are you talking about some other adaptor?
EF-M lenses were designed to mount to EOS-M directly, no adaptor needed.

For Canon shooters, standard EF and L lenses are as good as gold. These lenses can still be used with EOS-M system with an adaptor, however, AF speed becomes slower.

“how would you improve it?” - I leave that to Canon.
 

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
Aug 15, 2014
1,914
523
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
neuroanatomist said:
domg13 said:
What ever happened to the rumor of new high-resolution lenses to go along with the new high-MP cameras? Are these not expected to also be announced next week?
Perhaps you missed the 70-200 II, 24-70 II, etc.?

Lens resolution isn't going to be a limiting factor in most cases. Technique will be limiting for some, until they realize it takes some changes to maximize the output from a higher MP sensor.
Don't forget the 16-35 f4 and though not quite as superb, the new 100-400 is no slouch. Don't they all have "8k Digital Ready" on the side to designate their internal 50MP glass which bypass the camera's sensor altogether anyway? :eek: Can we put this "There's no glass" issue to bed already? Show me the Nikon made glass that fully resolves 36MP on a D810.
 
Jan 27, 2015
2
0
neuroanatomist said:
domg13 said:
What ever happened to the rumor of new high-resolution lenses to go along with the new high-MP cameras? Are these not expected to also be announced next week?
Perhaps you missed the 70-200 II, 24-70 II, etc.?

Lens resolution isn't going to be a limiting factor in most cases. Technique will be limiting for some, until they realize it takes some changes to maximize the output from a higher MP sensor.
I agree lens resolution isn't going to be a limiting factor. I'm just wondering about this quote and if there will be any mention of it next week:

"We are extending interchangeable lens groups. We want to add one line to our EF lenses…I can’t say any more than this."
 

Luds34

EOS 6D MK II
May 15, 2014
919
0
Dylan777 said:
Bob Howland said:
Dylan777 said:
neuroanatomist said:
The M3 could be interesting for me, depends on the specs. Possibly the 11-24/4 at some point, too.
To me, M3 needs decent AF speed, EVF and of course few more native small primes.

The MOST important factor for Canon to gain ground in mirrorless world is EF adapter to mirrorless. If they can come up with adapter with decent AF speed, better than current ones on the market, I think that will give Sony, Fuji etc... good run.
You want primes, the next poster wants an 18-200, presumably native, and I'd like a tiny native 15-85. Which do you think is going to come first? I'm not sure but my guess is the primes come last. In the age of extremely high quality zooms, prime lenses are so esoteric that they are positively elitist.

I agree that an EF-to-M adaptor plus a speed booster are essential. Otherwise, Canon can't leverage their large lens lineups and, if MILCs replace DSLRs in the next 5 years or so, Canon will find themselves years behind Sony, Fuji, Panasonic, Olympus and Samsung. Canon can't afford to take that risk.
I agree with you about today zoom lenses.

However, fast(f2ish) and compact primes are always welcome for those low light shots. Not only that, it keeps the mirrorless system as compact as possible.
Agree. IF one of the advantages to mirrorless is size, good primes (including a few key pancakes are key). Take a look at an of the FF Sony's. Once you pop on a good size zoom the size advantage over a DSLR has been negated.

I like the idea of a big camera, DSLR ergonomics for the days/time I want to be a photographer. I like the idea of a compact mirrorless system for all the other times I'm doing something non photography dedicated, but want to be able to capture shots, moments, experiences as they present themselves.
 

Luds34

EOS 6D MK II
May 15, 2014
919
0
wsmith96 said:
Do any of you think that there is a change of a 6D style camera with the 70D focus system and maybe an articulated screen this year?
I don't know if there is... but put me in the camp that is hoping for one. :)
 

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
Aug 15, 2014
1,914
523
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
jeffa4444 said:
Seeing as were speculating and given both the 5dMKIII and 6d were launched in the same year six months apart could well be their replacements that are coming.
Aside from high MP, wider DR and more detailed colorimagery would be a boon. One aimed at Sports / Wildlife / Fashion the other aimed at Travel / Landscape, both rugged & weather sealed.

61 point or more AF for the Sports / Wildlife / Fashion all cross type, 35 or more for Travel / Landscape again all cross-type. The travel camera would be smaller & lighter but like the Sport camera have two card slots and they would both use the same batteries. For the first time Canon should offer tiltable screens at least (similar to Olympus OM-D E-M5), both should have wi-fi and the travel camera GPS.
5 series will be your pixel monster for portraiture and landscapes etc... They aren't going to also make it make into a 1 series for speed. There will be a new 1 series for that this year I'm betting. That's the oldest of the 3 FF bodies. The 6D being the youngest I would assume will get a modest step in MP if any, but more importantly add more and better AF (maybe 20 something cross and a few dual cross) and perhaps an extra FPS. Not sure they put DPAF in it. I'm thinking the new 6D becomes (more or less) the feature set of the current 5D3 because not everyone wants 50MP. I'd be just fine if they left the sensor alone and improved a few other issues.
 

unfocused

EOS 1D MK II
Jul 20, 2010
5,256
1,873
66
Springfield, IL
www.mgordoncommunications.com
dilbert said:
People are going to argue black and blue that I'm wrong for doing this, but I'm not going to buy a new DSLR from Canon (or Sony!) - regardless of how good the sample images are - until it's been tested and evaluated by DxO.

Why?

Because scores aside, their methodology is fixed and the same for every model.

Thus I can look at their sensor measurements for noise and DR and get an independent view on where Canon are at with their new cameras relative to other cameras.

And to not put a finer point on it, I don't trust Canon to deliver significant IQ improvement just because it is a new FF sensor on a new camera.
This makes perfect sense if the criteria you seek in a camera is exactly the criteria DxO measures and you assign exactly the same relative weight to that criteria that DxO does.

This is true with any test. Tests can objectively measure specific criteria, but the determination of which criteria to measure and how to assign meaning to that measure varies wildly, always requires subjective judgement and does not necessarily reflect an individual's needs.

That you have found a testing lab that measures exactly what you consider to be the most important factors is great for you. Many others don't feel that way. Rather, many feel that the criteria DxO uses to select what measurements it takes do not reflect their needs, desires or even experience.
 

NYCPHOTO

EOS M50
Oct 5, 2012
39
0
www.arnoldadler.com
I just got a reconditioned 16-35 f4 thru canon and sent it back....wanting to compare and contrast the quality of the 11-24 and tamron 15-30 before committing to any of them.

BTW - I have a older canon 17-35 f2.8 and while the 16-35 was definitely sharper...I was more wowed by the IS of the 16-35...had me shooting sharp at 1/5 sec handheld.
 

rrcphoto

EOS 5D MK IV
Jun 20, 2013
2,505
147
Perio said:
I'm sure whatever Canon releases will be of a great quality, and specs will at least match best offerings from Nikon and Sony. I just hope that Canon makes the price more comparable to that of Nikon and Sony offerings. Otherwise, unfortunately I won't be able to pay premium for a new Canon body :( Please please Canon, don't announce a $3500-4000 high-MP camera.
D810 is 3300 USD - i doubt it will come any cheaper than that. the good news with the declining Yen, canon has more flexibility (I hope).
 

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
Aug 15, 2014
1,914
523
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
NYCPHOTO said:
I just got a reconditioned 16-35 f4 thru canon and sent it back....wanting to compare and contrast the quality of the 11-24 and tamron 15-30 before committing to any of them.

BTW - I have a older canon 17-35 f2.8 and while the 16-35 was definitely sharper...I was more wowed by the IS of the 16-35...had me shooting sharp at 1/5 sec handheld.
I took several night shots in Disney a few months ago with the 16-35 and swore even with IS tehre was no freakin way I got it clean.... I was stunned when I got them into lightroom. Amazing piece of glass that one is.. Too bad it won't resolve on a 50MP sensor ::) (pure sarcasm)
 

rrcphoto

EOS 5D MK IV
Jun 20, 2013
2,505
147
domg13 said:
neuroanatomist said:
domg13 said:
What ever happened to the rumor of new high-resolution lenses to go along with the new high-MP cameras? Are these not expected to also be announced next week?
Perhaps you missed the 70-200 II, 24-70 II, etc.?

Lens resolution isn't going to be a limiting factor in most cases. Technique will be limiting for some, until they realize it takes some changes to maximize the output from a higher MP sensor.
I agree lens resolution isn't going to be a limiting factor. I'm just wondering about this quote and if there will be any mention of it next week:

"We are extending interchangeable lens groups. We want to add one line to our EF lenses…I can’t say any more than this."
could be one of the following though;

- APO full frame primes (20,24, 28,35,50,85,100)
- EF-S "L" grade worthy lens lineup (for the 7DII and high end APS-C bodies)
- EF STM consumer grade full frame lineup

I'm leaning to the cheaper EF STM lineup personally.
 

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
8,252
1,878
Canada
Dylan777 said:
lw said:
Dylan777 said:
The MOST important factor for Canon to gain ground in mirrorless world is EF adapter to mirrorless. If they can come up with adapter with decent AF speed, better than current ones on the market, I think that will give Sony, Fuji etc... good run.
Enlighten me on why they need an (EF adaptor to mirrorless) "adaptor to mirrorless with decent AF speed"?

In what way does the current EF-EOS M Mount Adaptor affect "AF speed"? And how would you improve it?

Or are you talking about some other adaptor?
EF-M lenses were designed to mount to EOS-M directly, no adaptor needed.

For Canon shooters, standard EF and L lenses are as good as gold. These lenses can still be used with EOS-M system with an adaptor, however, AF speed becomes slower.

“how would you improve it?” - I leave that to Canon.
I think DPAF would allow significant improvements in speed... Of course, the 1 series cameras have a higher battery voltage and as long as the EOS-M sticks to 7.2V, even with the best of AF systems on an EOS-M, the 1 Series at 11.1 volts allows 2.4 times the power to the AF motors (some lenses) and that gives much quicker movement of the elements.
 

nostrovia

EOS M50
May 6, 2014
33
15
wsmith96 said:
Do any of you think that there is a change of a 6D style camera with the 70D focus system and maybe an articulated screen this year?
That is what I am holding out hope for! I really like my 70D, but would love a FF companion.
 

npherno

I'm New Here
Feb 15, 2011
24
0
Perio said:
I'm sure whatever Canon releases will be of a great quality, and specs will at least match best offerings from Nikon and Sony. I just hope that Canon makes the price more comparable to that of Nikon and Sony offerings. Otherwise, unfortunately I won't be able to pay premium for a new Canon body :( Please please Canon, don't announce a $3500-4000 high-MP camera.
I'm also quite sure we wont be getting a bargain like they pulled off with the 7dII. At $4000, at this point in time, I expect to be wowed. Anything less I don't think will silence the Canon critics.

I also think that despite native Sony lens prices, the relatively inexpensive A7/A7II series delivers serious bang for the buck, IMO. This new camera from Canon will be telling to many people.
 

neuroanatomist

I post too Much on Here!!
Jul 21, 2010
24,635
2,142
Dylan777 said:
EF-M lenses were designed to mount to EOS-M directly, no adaptor needed.

For Canon shooters, standard EF and L lenses are as good as gold. These lenses can still be used with EOS-M system with an adaptor, however, AF speed becomes slower.
The EOS M doesn't have a dedicated PDAF sensor, and it doesn't focus as fast as a dSLR. Compare AF speed with live view vs. PDAF on your dSLR (using Live AF, not Quick AF which uses the PDAF sensor...and note that it's even called Quick AF to differentiate it!) - that's why the M is slower. Even the 70D with on-CMOS DPAF focuses faster using the dedicated PDAF sensor.

AFAIK, the adapter has nothing to do with it. The native M lenses are also all STM, which is slower than USM. When I mount a fast-focusing L-series lens with ring USM (24-70 II, 70-200 II) on the EOS M via the Canon adapter, it focuses faster than my M22/2 or M18-55...have you had a different experience?
 

Famateur

EOS 7D MK II
Oct 9, 2012
798
120
wsmith96 said:
Do any of you think that there is a change of a 6D style camera with the 70D focus system and maybe an articulated screen this year?
I hope! If Canon released a full frame version of the 70D as the 6DII, I'd be doing the happy dance... :p