Big Announcements Coming Next Week [CR3]

neuroanatomist said:
Dylan777 said:
EF-M lenses were designed to mount to EOS-M directly, no adaptor needed.

For Canon shooters, standard EF and L lenses are as good as gold. These lenses can still be used with EOS-M system with an adaptor, however, AF speed becomes slower.

The EOS M doesn't have a dedicated PDAF sensor, and it doesn't focus as fast as a dSLR. Compare AF speed with live view vs. PDAF on your dSLR (using Live AF, not Quick AF which uses the PDAF sensor...and note that it's even called Quick AF to differentiate it!) - that's why the M is slower. Even the 70D with on-CMOS DPAF focuses faster using the dedicated PDAF sensor.

AFAIK, the adapter has nothing to do with it. The native M lenses are also all STM, which is slower than USM. When I mount a fast-focusing L-series lens with ring USM (24-70 II, 70-200 II) on the EOS M via the Canon adapter, it focuses faster than my M22/2 or M18-55...have you had a different experience?
I don't have the adapter, but I know that Sony's adapter which costs a lot more, has PDAF built into it, which is pretty cool. I think I read some review that says it works quite well, though not as fast as a dedicated DSLR.

Upvote 0

Bob Howland

CR Pro
Mar 25, 2012
Luds34 said:
I like the idea of a compact mirrorless system for all the other times I'm doing something non photography dedicated, but want to be able to capture shots, moments, experiences as they present themselves.

+1. After buying my 5D3, my G10 no longer is good enough for that purpose, especially above ISO400. I've taken to using my 5D3 with the battery pack removed (Try that with a 1Dx.), latest model 28-300 Tamron zoom and 270EX, but that's still too heavy.

Upvote 0
jeffa4444 said:
Seeing as were speculating and given both the 5dMKIII and 6d were launched in the same year six months apart could well be their replacements that are coming.
Aside from high MP, wider DR and more detailed colorimagery would be a boon. One aimed at Sports / Wildlife / Fashion the other aimed at Travel / Landscape, both rugged & weather sealed.

61 point or more AF for the Sports / Wildlife / Fashion all cross type, 35 or more for Travel / Landscape again all cross-type. The travel camera would be smaller & lighter but like the Sport camera have two card slots and they would both use the same batteries. For the first time Canon should offer tiltable screens at least (similar to Olympus OM-D E-M5), both should have wi-fi and the travel camera GPS.

Prescient. I hope.

Upvote 0
Nov 17, 2011
neuroanatomist said:
Dylan777 said:

For Canon shooters, standard EF and L lenses are as good as gold. These lenses can still be used with EOS-M system with an adaptor, however, AF speed becomes slower.

The EOS M doesn't have a dedicated PDAF sensor, and it doesn't focus as fast as a dSLR. Compare AF speed with live view vs. PDAF on your dSLR (using Live AF, not Quick AF which uses the PDAF sensor...and note that it's even called Quick AF to differentiate it!) - that's why the M is slower. Even the 70D with on-CMOS DPAF focuses faster using the dedicated PDAF sensor.

AFAIK, the adapter has nothing to do with it. The native M lenses are also all STM, which is slower than USM. When I mount a fast-focusing L-series lens with ring USM (24-70 II, 70-200 II) on the EOS M via the Canon adapter, it focuses faster than my M22/2 or M18-55...have you had a different experience?

Yes, with 70-200 f2.8 IS II without going from 70 to 200. Bare m22 on seems to be much quicker.

Upvote 0

dcm

Enjoy the gear you have!
CR Pro
Apr 18, 2013
Colorado, USA
lw said:
Dylan777 said:
The MOST important factor for Canon to gain ground in mirrorless world is EF adapter to mirrorless. If they can come up with adapter with decent AF speed, better than current ones on the market, I think that will give Sony, Fuji etc... good run.

Enlighten me on why they need an (EF adaptor to mirrorless) "adaptor to mirrorless with decent AF speed"?

In what way does the current EF-EOS M Mount Adaptor affect "AF speed"? And how would you improve it?

Or are you talking about some other adaptor?

I think it's more about the M than the adapter.

Seem to remember previous discussions on AF speed point to a few contributing factors: sensor, algorithm and the battery voltage. Higher battery voltage increases AF motor speeds so even with the same focus algorithm and sensor, the 1DX will always focus significantly faster than the others while the 5D/6D might focus slightly faster than the Rebels or M.

1DX - lp-e4n 11.1v 2450mAH
5D/6D/... - lp-e6 7.4v 1800mAH
Rebel - lp-e8 7.2v 1120mAH
M/SL1 - lp-e12 7.2v 875mAH

In my experience the M Live View focusing is faster than Live View on my other bodies (6D/550D), but that may not hold for the newest bodies with DPAF. Live View/contrast detect may still be no match for phase detect, but on an M that's all you have. Still, it would be nice to have a faster AF on the M in genral.

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
dcm said:
lw said:
Dylan777 said:
The MOST important factor for Canon to gain ground in mirrorless world is EF adapter to mirrorless. If they can come up with adapter with decent AF speed, better than current ones on the market, I think that will give Sony, Fuji etc... good run.

Enlighten me on why they need an (EF adaptor to mirrorless) "adaptor to mirrorless with decent AF speed"?

In what way does the current EF-EOS M Mount Adaptor affect "AF speed"? And how would you improve it?

I think it's more about the M than the adapter.

Seem to remember previous discussions on AF speed point to a few contributing factors: sensor, algorithm and the battery voltage. Higher battery voltage increases AF motor speeds so even with the same focus alforithm and sensor, the 1DX will always focus significantly faster than the others while the 5D/6D might focus slightly faster than the Rebels or M.

1DX - lp-e4n 11.1v 2450mAH
5D/6D/... - lp-e6 7.4v 1800mAH
Rebel - lp-e8 7.2v 1120mAH
M/SL1 - lp-e12 7.2v 875mAH

In my experience the M Live View focusing is faster than Live View on my other bodies (6D/550D), but that may not hold for the newest bodies with DPAF. Live View/contrast detect may still be no match for phase detect, but on an M that's all you have. Still, it would be nice to have a faster AF on the M in genral.

someone in the ML land commented that the M has a higher LV framerate than other canon DLSR's - suggesting that may be the reason it's increased in speed.

I find the M on single point, one shot AF to be perfectly fine. AI servo is horrid and it's pretty painful with the 22mm EF-M

11-22mm is pretty much instantaneous though.

Upvote 0

lw

Oct 9, 2013
Dylan777 said:
lw said:
Dylan777 said:

The adaptor doesn't make AF slower though does it?
It is the EOS M body that has slower AF. All the adaptor does is pass through the signals, doesn't it? It is just electrical contacts.
I can already put my EF and EF-S lenses on my EOS M. I don't need a new adaptor for that.
What I need is a new EOS M AF system that focuses them quicker.

I will repeat, in what way does the current EF-EOS M Mount Adaptor affect "AF speed"? (I am actually interested to know, as I am not aware of it. Not keen on having to buy another adaptor as well as a new M!)

Attachments

• 70D-0770.jpg
    70D-0770.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 176
Upvote 0
IgotGASbadDude said:
Bob Howland said:
+1. I've taken to using my 5D3 with the battery pack removed (Try that with a 1Dx.)

This is exactly why I have acquired both 8) It was either that, or take a hacksaw to the 1dx ::)
+1 and why I sold my battery grip when I bought the 1D X. No regrets.

Upvote 0
Feb 28, 2013
If we see a 50+ MP sensor in a Canon professional camera it will be interesting to see how older lenses still in manufacture hold-up. Higher resolution lenses properly corrected for chromatic abberations & color fringing will be expensive to make, so expensive that for many they will not be affordable its not just the glass but the mechanical tolerance to make that glass work optimally all the time.

Upvote 0
May 15, 2014
neuroanatomist said:
Dylan777 said:

This has been my experience with the M as well. I don't feel the adapter makes anything slower. It's all canon hardware, electronics, should be virtually the same experience.

I've mounted The EF-S 60mm the most, but have used EF 28mm f/1.8, 85 f/1.8, and a handful others on rare occasion. The lens USM focus system responds/moves just as fast as mounted to my DSLRs. However, locking focus is not always achieved as quickly, but that is attributed to the "T4i Live View" sensor and not to the lens/adapter, etc.

In short, the lenses respond just as quickly, the M is just slower to lock focus camera vs the dedicated PD systems in the DSLR.

Side note agreement, the STM in the 22mm pancake is slow. Even the EF-M 18-55 is noticeably faster.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
IgotGASbadDude said:
Bob Howland said:
+1. I've taken to using my 5D3 with the battery pack removed (Try that with a 1Dx.)

This is exactly why I have acquired both 8) It was either that, or take a hacksaw to the 1dx ::)

For me, if the 1D X is too big, so is a non-gripped body. That's where the EOS M comes in, it has a great sensor size to camera size ratio, and it serves as a backup camera for travel.

Upvote 0
Nov 17, 2011
lw said:
Dylan777 said:
lw said:
Dylan777 said:

It is the EOS M body that has slower AF. All the adaptor does is pass through the signals, doesn't it? It is just electrical contacts.
I can already put my EF and EF-S lenses on my EOS M. I don't need a new adaptor for that.

I will repeat, in what way does the current EF-EOS M Mount Adaptor affect "AF speed"? (I am actually interested to know, as I am not aware of it. Not keen on having to buy another adaptor as well as a new M!)

We all know current EOS-M AF speed is not the best in mirrorless world, so, let's skip that for moment.

The EF-M lens adapter kit not only provides electrical contact, it also provide proper fitting between the EF and EF-S lenses to the eos-m.

I've tried 70-200 f2.8 IS II + adapter on eos-m Vs native 22mm. AF speed is not the same. Why? I can't tell you.

Neuro confirmed his adapter + L lenses is faster then native 22mm. Maybe, other members can give their feedbacks.

Upvote 0
May 15, 2014
neuroanatomist said:
Dylan777 said:
Yes, with 70-200 f2.8 IS II without going from 70 to 200. Bare m22 on seems to be much quicker.

Interesting. The M22/2 is rather slow; for me the M18-55 is faster, the adapted 24-70/2.8 II is faster still.

Following up to my earlier comment... now that it is mentioned, I seem to recall mounting a 70-200 f/4 to the M and it performed deliberately slow. The USM ran at like quarter speed or something. I panicked at first thinking something was wrong with the lens. I may try this again tonight.

Upvote 0

lw

Oct 9, 2013
Dylan777 said:
I've tried 70-200 f2.8 IS II + adapter on eos-m Vs native 22mm. AF speed is not the same. Why? I can't tell you.

Neuro confirmed his adapter + L lenses is faster then native 22mm. Maybe, other members can give their feedbacks.

Hardly a valid comparison though as it is two different lenses. It doesn't demonstrate that the adaptor makes a difference....

The fastest focusing lens I have used by far on my M is the EF-S 55-250mm IS STM - via the adaptor - it is faster focusing than any native EF-M lens hence demonstrating the adaptor has no impact I can see. My belief is because it is able to house a bigger STM motor than the EF-M lenses, and the M is optimised for STM lenses. It is faster than my EF 70-200 f2.8 IS II. Nothing to do with the adaptor AFAICS.

So, I can't see any reason that a new adaptor is needed for the M

Upvote 0
Less than NO interest in High Megapixel or Full Frame cameras. Same goes for Zoomz!

But I would be buy a less "Hello-Kitty" more Prosumer EOS M3 :) A 70D style flippy screen would be nice, but not necessary.

I'm converting my NEX 5n into a sorta view camera using a Tilt & Shift adapter and a Flip-up Screen Shade. I'll use a 60mm f/2.8 Micro Nikkor (= 90mm FF). If the M3 turns out to be a real camera, there are T&S adapters for M-mount and Flip-up Screen Shades already available. BTW that Nikon 60mm becomes 96mm(FF) with a Canon 1.6 crop. If the M3 is an Asia only Kitty-Kamera, then I'll take a look at the upcoming Sony a7000. BTW2 All New Sony pro/prosumer cameras now tether to Capture One :)

Upvote 0

Lee Jay

EOS 7D Mark II
Sep 22, 2011
jeffa4444 said:
If we see a 50+ MP sensor in a Canon professional camera it will be interesting to see how older lenses still in manufacture hold-up. Higher resolution lenses properly corrected for chromatic abberations & color fringing will be expensive to make, so expensive that for many they will not be affordable its not just the glass but the mechanical tolerance to make that glass work optimally all the time.

This is no more pixel density than the 70D, and even an 18-135STM holds up quite well on that camera. So, any lens with quality equal to or better than a relatively cheap but decent consumer hyperzoom will hold up just fine. Now, the 18-135 is an EF-s so that makes it easier to design and cheaper, but the same thing should hold for lenses like the 24-105STM. Lenses like the 16-35IS, 24-70II, 70-200II, 100-400II and basically all the L-primes and decent consumer primes (24/28/35/85/100) will be just great.

Upvote 0

surapon

80% BY HEART, 15% BY LENSES AND ONLY 5% BY CAMERA
Aug 2, 2013
APEX, NORTH CAROLINA, USA.
lw said:
Dylan777 said:
lw said:
Dylan777 said:

Dear Friend Mr. lw.
My EF-EOS M Lens adaptor By Canon never slow AF speed for all of my 19 Canon EF- Lenses, and Tamron + Sigma Lenses----Electrical connection are super fast, not matter 2 inches distant or 10 feet distant. Yes, That are my Observation since I have EOS-M more than 1.5 years ago.
Yes, I will buy EOS-M III, And EOS 50+ MP. when they on the Market.
Have a great work Week.
Surapon

Attachments

• T-1.jpg
    T-1.jpg
    797.3 KB · Views: 197
  • T-12.jpg
    T-12.jpg
    792.1 KB · Views: 204
  • T-4.jpg
    T-4.jpg
    858.6 KB · Views: 187