Big Announcements Coming Next Week [CR3]

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
Bghead8che said:
Is the new "50 MP" camera going to be in the price range of the D810 and 5D3 ($3-4K) or more in the $6K plus range?

-Brian

Find out next Friday, but my money is on $3999.95. The 5D3 has been getting some relatively sharp drops lately.

Upvote 0

RGF

How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
Jul 13, 2012
jeffa4444 said:
If we see a 50+ MP sensor in a Canon professional camera it will be interesting to see how older lenses still in manufacture hold-up. Higher resolution lenses properly corrected for chromatic abberations & color fringing will be expensive to make, so expensive that for many they will not be affordable its not just the glass but the mechanical tolerance to make that glass work optimally all the time.

Canon will need to improve their lens. Some are there or nearly there though I suspect that a 50 MP sensor will show the weakness in many of their lenses, even the newer better quality lenses.

Canon, IMO, will continue to make their own lenses rather than work with a company like Zeiss. Canon suffers from NIH (Not Invented Here) syndrome - in part good so they can differentiate themselves but also at times to their customers disadvantage.

Upvote 0

nvsravank

CR Pro
Feb 2, 2012
PureClassA said:
Jiminy F'ng Crickets, there's a lot of bitching and moaning on here about cameras and lenses that aren't even out yet. Ok, sheesh!! Everyone who shoots landscapes can go to the Sony side of the room!! Wonderful Cameras for DR and resolve. Everyone else go to the Canon side of the room if you prefer vastly superior speed and AF performance for indoor and outdoor sports and wildlife, and a more accurate color palette for portraiture right off the sensor.

Ok done!

Honestly I'd be interested in BOTH a new high res 5 body AND a new 1 series if the 1 series jumps significantly enough over the current model for my needs. I'll wait to see if I even need to cry in my beer AFTER they get announced and reviewed if I don't just preorder them both immediately.

I like Sony. I like Nikon. I'm not going to be a jackass Canon fanboy and crap on the competition.

Ok you know that you are on the site called canonRUMORS right? :)

What fun is it if we dont bitch and moan about canon not doing what we want them to do.

How can we spend those countless hours between photos shoots when all we can think of is how the equipment is the reason for the failure of that one photo from the last shot that could have been better if only we had that particular feature in our camera / lens?

What fun is it if we cannot complain about every feature that Sony / Nikon has that canon does not and then complain about it? Come on we are so invested in lens that we cant switch!!!

Upvote 0
We also need this place to dream up insanely unrealistic specs and then be disappointed by them when the new model(s) don't have them. The 5DIII was the biggest piece of crap when it first came out because it didn't have 40+ MP and 20 stops of DR, etc. . The new models will also suck. Well until we actually start using them.

It's all good fun, of course!

Upvote 0

PureClassA

CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
mackguyver said:
We also need this place to dream up insanely unrealistic specs and then be disappointed by them when the new model(s) don't have them. The 5DIII was the biggest piece of crap when it first came out because it didn't have 40+ MP and 20 stops of DR, etc. . The new models will also suck. Well until we actually start using them.

It's all good fun, of course!

Oh I laugh at the bitching and moaning. It has some terrific late night entertainment value. And yes it CAN be valuable if done constructively...

Upvote 0
chrisnosleep said:
Is there some reason that this new high MP camera couldn't be the next of the 1D's? Or is there some details I'm not aware of?
It could be a direct replacement for the Canon 1DS Mark iii, but not a substitute 1DX. In this case there would be a new 1DX (Mark ii?), With up to 20 megapixel and 14 frames per second in addition to the 50 megapixel model with a maximum of 6 shots per second.

Upvote 0

dcm

Enjoy the gear you have!
CR Pro
Apr 18, 2013
Colorado, USA
Looking forward to these announcements and subsequent reviews.

• M3 is a given unless they really botch it. That's ahead of my normal 3 year cycle on bodies and computers, but expected given it was new technology. I'm getting by fine with the current M so I could wait another year if there is no major improvement. Wonder if any new lenses will accompany it.
  • The 11-24 looks like a nice bookend to the new 100-400 in a similar price range ($2K+). I just might pull the trigger if its performance is anything like the new 100-400.
  • Next FF body upgrade was planned for the end of 2015. Was originally thinking a 1DX, but the new high megapixel bodies might be an interesting alternative. My daughter will be happy to keep the loan/hand me down 6D.
  • Rebels and Powershots are no longer of interest. My wife seems to use her iPhone much more than her Powershot these days and won't touch a DSLR.

Upvote 0
Dec 17, 2013
At the rate I get around to upgrading my operating system, upgrading Lightroom (to LR5), it may well be early March by the time I get around to buying a camera. Or not. I am anxious to use the 7D2 AF system - honestly I have no idea what a sophisticated AF system can do, having used only the 60D and 6D (and 6D is used largely with manual focus, anyway). A high-MP full frame camera would have to have more dynamic range to be really worthwhile to me. I am finding that the 20 MP of the 6D is pretty reasonable for my needs, I just would like "better" pixels. My cameras are better than I am, anyway. My most needed and important upgrade is my brain. Current purchases are flash triggers, lighting modifiers, stands, books, software, courses.

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
jebrady03 said:
I'm still proceeding under the assumption that the "big megapixel" camera is actually a DPAF sensor where the megapixel count of images will be half that of the number of photosites. So, I'm expecting a 26-ish mp camera. Which would be fine with me, I don't need and truthfully can't handle (processing) over 50 megapixels.

Is the 70D specified as a 40 MP camera?

Like Foveon - 51mp - three layers 17mp each...

Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012
fxk said:
neuroanatomist said:
jebrady03 said:
I'm still proceeding under the assumption that the "big megapixel" camera is actually a DPAF sensor where the megapixel count of images will be half that of the number of photosites. So, I'm expecting a 26-ish mp camera. Which would be fine with me, I don't need and truthfully can't handle (processing) over 50 megapixels.

Is the 70D specified as a 40 MP camera?

Like Foveon - 51mp - three layers 17mp each...

Hardly relevant to how Canon specifies cameras with multiple diodes per pixel location.

Upvote 0
unfocused said:
This makes perfect sense if the criteria you seek in a camera is exactly the criteria DxO measures and you assign exactly the same relative weight to that criteria that DxO does.

???
Or simply just look at the various data points you care about, take various things into consideration and take from it what you need.

That you have found a testing lab that measures exactly what you consider to be the most important factors is great for you. Many others don't feel that way. Rather, many feel that the criteria DxO uses to select what measurements it takes do not reflect their needs, desires or even experience.

all he said is that he wanted to use their scores to compare a few sensor metrics

Upvote 0
It will be interesting to see what Canon does with video on this camera. If this is a 5DIII replacement then it could likely be priced around $4K. BUT will it shoot 4K video? I am thinking it will not because then it would undercut the planned C300 release that has 4K and priced much higher. We know already that the C100, which is priced around $5K doesn' t have it. However, if this more like a new 1D camera and priced around $10K then we could see 4K video as a feature. Didn't Canon just reduce the 1DC price? So maybe this is what it will be -- a new 1D something camera.

Upvote 0

PureClassA

CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
gsealy said:
It will be interesting to see what Canon does with video on this camera. If this is a 5DIII replacement then it could likely be priced around $4K. BUT will it shoot 4K video? I am thinking it will not because then it would undercut the planned C300 release that has 4K and priced much higher. We know already that the C100, which is priced around $5K doesn' t have it. However, if this more like a new 1D camera and priced around $10K then we could see 4K video as a feature. Didn't Canon just reduce the 1DC price? So maybe this is what it will be -- a new 1D something camera.

The Sony FS7 is $8000 and is not being undercut by the $2500 Sony A7s. However, for some reason I DO sometimes think Canon is under such silly impressions. If the new 5 body does NOT have internal 4k capability of any sort, it's going to be perceived as a big fail, and I frankly couldn't blame reviewers for seeing it as such given everyone else going that direction or ALREADY there.

Upvote 0