Status
Not open for further replies.

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
privatebydesign said:
So, window light, studio light, off camera Speedlite or on camera Speedlite?

Having an incline for PBD's techniques I say it's a single on camera speedlite, but angled to the left and back to bounce from a lasolite or something similar. In fact you can see the reflector in the model's eyes. Gives a very soft 'window' light but without the low EV issues.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Thanks to the people who made a guess at my challenge.

Obviously I posted in a slightly confrontational way directed at jebrady03 because of the silly claim (since clarified)

"but, I've been told repeatedly that when someone KNOWS what they're doing with flash, you can't really tell they used it. I've yet to see an example of that myself, but I've had my eyes open for it."

Not least because of the inability to prove it to yourself. If you can't tell they used it, well, then you can't tell! You might have viewed thousands of images that have it, so it was really a challenge to your deconstruction skills. By your answer, jebrady03, I would take longer honing those than making blanket statements ;)

It was shot with one on camera flash bounced off the wall to picture left, camera in M mode, flash in ETTL (far and away the best camera/flash starting point and setup), no FEC and zero ambient (because of the green fluorescent bulbs). The wall it was bounced off was a tool hanging wall lined with brown pegboard. I used a small piece of black foam paper and rubber band to make a scrim to stop any light going directly onto the subject (which I learnt from here).

All in it is very interesting to see the variety of answers and several of them could have been right, and some were. It just goes to show unless you are very experienced and you have confidence that not too much post process disguising, layering, or adjusting has gone on it can be incredibly difficult to identify even simple lighting setups, and I am not placing myself on a higher pedestal here. Were I asked the same question the extraneous shadow dcm pointed out would have thrown me, there shouldn't be a hard shadow there, it must have gotten a spurious bounce from a closer object.

Now I will have to find a daylight/flash combo to test jebrady and anybody else up for a challenge. :)

Upvote 0
May 31, 2011
ajfotofilmagem said:
Menace said:
70-200 f2.8 IS II
Beautiful model, but the lighting does not allow to see details of the face. There seems to be off-camera flash but the reflection of the sun on the water is so strong that it is difficult to tame. :( Maybe a CPL filter help?
Face? Oh.. I didn't realize she had a face. :p

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2012
Canada
jdramirez said:
ajfotofilmagem said:
Menace said:
70-200 f2.8 IS II
Beautiful model, but the lighting does not allow to see details of the face. There seems to be off-camera flash but the reflection of the sun on the water is so strong that it is difficult to tame. :( Maybe a CPL filter help?
Face? Oh.. I didn't realize she had a face. :p

;D ;D ;D

Upvote 0
ajfotofilmagem said:
Menace said:
70-200 f2.8 IS II

So? Not every picture has to follow the mold of "rules".

I think this picture is perfect the way it is. Yes, the face is a little dark, so what? Not every shot HAS to look like it was shot in a studio. I think the slight silhouette treatment works VERY well, it gives a sort of mysterious look to the photo.

This is photography. There is an art element to it. Not everything photo should be "perfectly" lit IMHO. The B&W treatment also adds alot. Bonus points to the photographer in my book.

TTYL

Upvote 0
jdramirez said:
For me... her legs are what catch my eye which leads upwards to her torso/chest... then finally her face. For me... since her face isn't the main subject, I don't think the current way it is lit/developed/exposed is a problem.
I understand that some photos have a magnetism that directs our eyes to a certain body part. ::) But after carefully observe the image for a long time, I would like to see the face of the owner of that body. ;) Sorry to get away from the topic bikini, but we try to look at the face of Brazilian singer Anitta. :p
large.jpg

Upvote 0
ajfotofilmagem said:
I understand that some photos have a magnetism that directs our eyes to a certain body part. ::) But after carefully observe the image for a long time, I would like to see the face of the owner of that body. ;) Sorry to get away from the topic bikini, but we try to look at the face of Brazilian singer Anitta. :p

I'm wondering if perhaps your screen is a little off?

I'm looking at the picture with my calibrated screen (what I do all my editing on), and while the face is a little on the dimmer side, it's still clearly visible. I don't understand why you'd say "I would like to see the face of the owner of that body", her face is clearly visible on my screen?

Might want to check the gamma setting on your system? Or even better get it calibrated?

Thanks, TTYL

Upvote 0
hgraf said:
ajfotofilmagem said:

I'm wondering if perhaps your screen is a little off?
I'm looking at the picture with my calibrated screen (what I do all my editing on), and while the face is a little on the dimmer side, it's still clearly visible. I don't understand why you'd say "I would like to see the face of the owner of that body", her face is clearly visible on my screen?
Might want to check the gamma setting on your system? Or even better get it calibrated?
Thanks, TTYL
Actually, right now I have the lamp of room is off, and see more details of the face. But this is not the lighting in the room that I use when I do image processing. I calibrated my monitor to match the final paper that will print photo lab.

Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
TLau74 said:
Here are some of my candid shots while vacationing in Thailand over the Christmas holidays. Shot in Koh Larn island with Canon 6D, 24~105mm F4 IS. My favorite is the last one IMG_191-2.

You've found the strengths of the 24-105. With these types of shot it really works well, from good centre sharpness to a pleasant bokeh.

Think the first one is hilarious. Not to self: if my daughters go up to the bar in a bikini like that make sure they put high heels on first. ;D

Upvote 0
Sporgon said:
TLau74 said:
Here are some of my candid shots while vacationing in Thailand over the Christmas holidays. Shot in Koh Larn island with Canon 6D, 24~105mm F4 IS. My favorite is the last one IMG_191-2.

You've found the strengths of the 24-105. With these types of shot it really works well, from good centre sharpness to a pleasant bokeh.

Think the first one is hilarious. Not to self: if my daughters go up to the bar in a bikini like that make sure they put high heels on first. ;D

The 24~105mm is the only 'walk around' lens I have and it does quite well for it's purpose! All of these shots were heavily cropped to remove garbage, lawn chairs, people's head etc. I was quite pleased with the results.

I don't have a daughter, I have a 9 yr-old son, but I am surprised if any father would let their daughters walk around in a bikini like that ;D.

Upvote 0
TLau74 said:
Indeed, it seems that the woman is using bikini she stole her daughter 10 years old. :p Or maybe your daughter 5 years old. :eek: Or maybe she did not looked in the mirror before going to the beach. 8)
index.php

Upvote 0
jdramirez said:
Taemobig said:
My attempt at being artsy ???

Spectacular... and the photo is pretty good too. I like the first... did you sepia the top right and then allow the water to be blue? I like the effect... and the composition... nice job.

Thanks! I made 2 color gradients in Lightroom, opposite of each other. Blue/aqua for the water and orange for the other side.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.