BIRD IN FLIGHT ONLY -- share your BIF photos here

Nov 12, 2014
Dear forum members,
This week I finally found a good location and time for practicing my new EOS 5D IV and 70-200 F/2.8 (+2x extender Mark III) with BIF. Location was in the Swiss Alps and there were many swallows in the air. These were not the easiest birds for practicing, but I was able to make a couple of good shots. I am seeking however some advise from the experts among you forum members. I was only able to make good shots while focusing on the top branch of a tree, where I had seen the swallows flying around. The shot shows focus on the branch, but not on the swallow. But since the distance was the same, the swallow was sharp. This way I was able to make decent pictures. I was not able to follow any birds while flying around and catch them sharply. I used AI Servo case #2. Either they were too fast for me to follow with the camera. Or the camera was not quick enough to focus on the bird. Or do I have too high expectations of the camera/lens for these type of birds that are too small and flying in erratic patterns?

EOS5D4_01463.jpg

Reactions: tron

AlanF

5DSR
Aug 16, 2012
Dear forum members,
This week I finally found a good location and time for practicing my new EOS 5D IV and 70-200 F/2.8 (+2x extender Mark III) with BIF. Location was in the Swiss Alps and there were many swallows in the air. These were not the easiest birds for practicing, but I was able to make a couple of good shots. I am seeking however some advise from the experts among you forum members. I was only able to make good shots while focusing on the top branch of a tree, where I had seen the swallows flying around. The shot shows focus on the branch, but not on the swallow. But since the distance was the same, the swallow was sharp. This way I was able to make decent pictures. I was not able to follow any birds while flying around and catch them sharply. I used AI Servo case #2. Either they were too fast for me to follow with the camera. Or the camera was not quick enough to focus on the bird. Or do I have too high expectations of the camera/lens for these type of birds that are too small and flying in erratic patterns?
Very unlikely you will be able to AF fast enough with a 2xTC. A native 100-400mm II or the old 400mm f/5.6 will give you a much better chance.

Nat_WA

EOS 7D mk.II
Aug 15, 2017
Netherlands
:) Thanks Click, Mikehit, Talys!
With some more time to post-process, I'll post some more but these stood out being different from the more 'static' BiF shots. Unfortunately many of the more interesting birds kept their distance so I could not get nice close-ups :(. Anyhow, a nice day on the water, with only a small drop of rain and quite a few sunny moments :)
Another swan while taking off:
Biesbosch20180908-2505.jpg

... they take their time running on the water to assist at take off ;)
Wiebe.

Click

I post too Much on Here!!
Jul 29, 2012
Canada
The panned, slower shutter speed take-offs give a more dynamic feeling than this one with fast shutter...
Let me know your thoughts!
View attachment 180362
Wiebe.

I prefer this one. The picture is more dynamic indeed.

And for the Osprey, you didn't have nice lighting condition. It's very difficult to get a nice picture in that kind of lighting.

Last edited:

Nat_WA

EOS 7D mk.II
Aug 15, 2017
Netherlands
I recently had the opportunity to try out my BIF skills at a falconry.
Some of my tries in BIF of a Red Kite (Milvus milvus).
Very nice shots Maximilian, I especially like the last of this (first) set - bird is detailed very well while the blue 'ribbons' on his talons are masked a bit
Wiebe.

Nat_WA

EOS 7D mk.II
Aug 15, 2017
Netherlands
I prefer this one. The picture is more dynamic indeed.

And for the Osprey, you didn't have nice lighting condition. It's very difficult to get a nice picture in that kind of lighting.
Thanks Click, you're too kind ;). Sky was overcast but not too badly, but there is indeed a lot of contrast between bird and background - sky.
Another one under comparable circumstances; White-tailed Eagle:
Biesbosch20180908-2278.jpg

Wiebe.