BIRD IN FLIGHT ONLY -- share your BIF photos here

Jack Douglas

https://yourshot.nationalgeographic.com/profile/64
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
You haven't become befuddled by the latest Canadian legalization? At least the birds are in focus if you are not.
I think most bird photographers get their highs from shooting. Personally, I think it will only lead to more costs to society and more deaths on the highways, which is already very tragic. Perhaps we should send our impaired drivers to Saudi Arabia.;)

AlanF

EOS 5DS R
Aug 16, 2012
I think most bird photographers get their highs from shooting. Personally, I think it will only lead to more costs to society and more deaths on the highways, which is already very tragic. Perhaps we should send our impaired drivers to Saudi Arabia.;)
Is it a coincidence that Canadians are disproportionately represented on CR?

Jack Douglas

https://yourshot.nationalgeographic.com/profile/64
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Thanks Click. Nice shots but not great. I think I prefer the second one....
It depends what you are trying to convey. I think the first is technically a better shot. The second needs better wing position/angle etc., say if you had 60 frames/sec., you'd find some were better but we don't have that luxury. On the other hand the first is more commonly obtained I think?? Or not??:confused:

Jack

lion rock

EOS 7D Mark II
Jan 1, 2013
Bundu,
Wildlife shots are often potluck. You can practice, plan, wait, locate and hope for the PERFECT shot. But, in the end, it is "luck" for lack of a better description. If there are more opportunities to shoot again, yes,you may get better shot. Most of the time, that's not an option.
Both shots are great.
-r

Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Bundu.
Both are excellent shots in my opinion and I would be over the moon to have caught either, to have both, wow!
I actually prefer the second shot, the water spray conveys the force of the impact and the ferocity of the attack.
Could it be better, possibly yes but probably not, I suspect that is a learned position for the wings during the attack so as to minimise risk to the birds wings and feathers, and by the time the wings clear the view of the body the water spray might be substantially reduced?

Cheers, Graham.

AlanF

EOS 5DS R
Aug 16, 2012
What was actually caught? The prey in the second shot is not very clear, but appears bent at an odd angle for a fish. In the first shot it is not well resolved on the surface.

Nov 24, 2014
South Africa
Thank you guys for your kind replies. I have tried every day morning and afternoon to catch African Skimmers feeding but no luck. Out of focus or too late or whatever. The "fish" is actually a fish carcass tossed overboard after fillets were cut out by fisherman for bait. We ourselves were busy Tigerfishing! The eagle coming down to catch it was very unexpected so I just grabbed the camera and fired away. And for some reason, unplanned as it were, all the shots were in focus! Yes, 60fps would have been nice, but 10fps did the job. I agree the first shot technically better but the second more dramatic.
Potluck at its best!

AlanF

EOS 5DS R
Aug 16, 2012
Just getting ready to board the plane for Tanzania! We have the 5DIV, 5DSR, 100-400mm II, 400mm DO II, 3 TCs, RX10IV, TG5 and a 50/1.8 and a few items of clothes and can just about make the weight limit.