BIRD IN FLIGHT ONLY -- share your BIF photos here

Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Alan.
I’m pleased to hear that, what would a photography holiday be without camera gear! ;) Clothes meh!
Have fun, be safe, have fun and I look forwards to your return so I can experience Tanzania vicariously through your images! :oops::)

Cheers, Graham.

Jack Douglas

https://yourshot.nationalgeographic.com/profile/64
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Alan, don't just post photos; add observations on all aspects of this venture, particularly relative to how you deal with the gear both on and off planes. If you don't mind.:)

I'll soon be having to make similar decisions relative to visiting England and probably then Europe. Also, possibly central and S America and I kind of fear having expensive gear in my possession. ;) My previous travels have typically been North America with truck or motorhome, which is quite different.

Jack

AlanF

EOS 5DS R
Aug 16, 2012
Alan, don't just post photos; add observations on all aspects of this venture, particularly relative to how you deal with the gear both on and off planes. If you don't mind.:)

I'll soon be having to make similar decisions relative to visiting England and probably then Europe. Also, possibly central and S America and I kind of fear having expensive gear in my possession. ;) My previous travels have typically been North America with truck or motorhome, which is quite different.

Jack
Only occasional internet access over very slow and intermittent lines. Will report back in 2 weeks. Incredible shots so far from 12h a day birding.

Nat_WA

Thinking of a new line... Ow, that hurts
Aug 15, 2017
Netherlands
The short eared Owls are back for the winter at my local patch, and I put together this sequence shot of one hunting. The owl is not visible in the grass in the fifth shot in the series (5DIV + EF600F4MII + 1.4x)
@BobG - Excellent sequence / series! From the second position (from the right) onward you can really see how the owl is focused on a fixed spot on the ground... Did you have the camera 'fixed' on a tripod, or were you moving / panning with it? (Background appears as one - so you can't have moved / shaken a lot between shots :unsure: - that or your PP-skills are way better than mine ;))
Wiebe.

Click

Spends too much time on this forum
Jul 29, 2012
Canada
The short eared Owls are back for the winter at my local patch, and I put together this sequence shot of one hunting. The owl is not visible in the grass in the fifth shot in the series (5DIV + EF600F4MII + 1.4x)
Well done, Bob.

Mar 7, 2018
India
Very beautiful. Amazing. You have a great perfection in your shot. Keep it up.

Jul 2, 2014
@BobG - Excellent sequence / series! From the second position (from the right) onward you can really see how the owl is focused on a fixed spot on the ground... Did you have the camera 'fixed' on a tripod, or were you moving / panning with it? (Background appears as one - so you can't have moved / shaken a lot between shots :unsure: - that or your PP-skills are way better than mine ;))
Wiebe.
Wimberley gimbal head on fixed tripod. I was panning between shots keeping the owl as centred as possible

AlanF

EOS 5DS R
Aug 16, 2012
Hi Alan.
I’m pleased to hear that, what would a photography holiday be without camera gear! ;) Clothes meh!
Have fun, be safe, have fun and I look forwards to your return so I can experience Tanzania vicariously through your images! :oops::)

Cheers, Graham.
Had an incredible guide who took us from dawn to dusk for 14 consecutive days and had three very experienced US birders as company who were far more experienced than me on birds but I was more experienced with the photography. Here are a couple of shots of pied kingfishers in flight. The first is with the 5DSR + 100-400mm II early in the morning and the second in the afternoon with the 1.4xTC attached. There have been some great shots in the thread while I have been away.

3Q7A1419-DxO_pied_kingfisher_inflight_ACR.jpg
3Q7A1586-DxO_piedkingfishers_displaying-CR.jpg