BIRD IN FLIGHT ONLY -- share your BIF photos here

bluediablo

EOS T7i
Oct 23, 2017
california
Between the rain storms and marathons/bike races/etc, the local island near me that is usually good for some raptors hasn't been as accessible this month, at least not during most of the mornings. Still, the sun is still low enough in the southern sky not to be excessively harsh and enabling me to get some flight shots(primarily takeoff/landing) of the American Kestrels that seem to call it home. Here is one that I misjudged the takeoff direction and ended up loping off a wing, but I really like the straight on, in your face approach so I cropped accordingly.

1DX MK II 600 f/4L II w/ 1.4X 1/2500 : f/7.1 : ISO 1000
Gorgeous shot!

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
Apr 30, 2017
I am trying to track chickadees in flight. They move so fast that I am not having much luck, this shot went spectacularly wrong.....View attachment 183134
:D:D! C'mon Don - it's just hiding from you? I think that buddy knows what it's doing (well, may be not...). Any way: do I want to get similar picture? - Yes, especially if the focus is on the wings! It may not be my favorite photo but it will remind me that there is a fun behind most of the pics I use to take...

ISv

Apr 30, 2017
Between the rain storms and marathons/bike races/etc, the local island near me that is usually good for some raptors hasn't been as accessible this month, at least not during most of the mornings. Still, the sun is still low enough in the southern sky not to be excessively harsh and enabling me to get some flight shots(primarily takeoff/landing) of the American Kestrels that seem to call it home. Here is one that I misjudged the takeoff direction and ended up loping off a wing, but I really like the straight on, in your face approach so I cropped accordingly.

1DX MK II 600 f/4L II w/ 1.4X 1/2500 : f/7.1 : ISO 1000
Impressive! And I just like Falcons!

Reactions: Lalumière and ERHP

ISv

Apr 30, 2017
Few from the last weekend. Still not confident to post on this treat but let's try:unsure:!
First two - red-tailed Tropicbird. The rest is the Red-billed Tropicbird. I'm going to repeat this exercise until I get a really good photo of the Red-billed (there is no waranty it will come again next year...).
DSC_5961_DxO.jpg
DSC_5962_DxO.jpg
DSC_5939_DxO.jpg
DSC_5948_DxO.jpg

AlanF

5DSR
Aug 16, 2012
Sorry, it never turned face to me (I mean the Red-tail)... With the Red-bill it's even more complicated: for ~2h it came once around and you catch what you can...
That's the name of the game! But, it was a great shot of the red tail.

Reactions: tron and ISv