BIRD IN FLIGHT ONLY -- share your BIF photos here

becceric

Making clumsy photographic mistakes since 1980
CR Pro
Oct 30, 2016
I like these and should pursue it myself for the pleasure and artistic value it has. Maybe you have some advice to offer? I can see that it doesn't always work perfectly and that it takes quite a bit of effort to do it justice and I guess that's where practice makes perfect.

I did video of a Quetzal flying to a nest that was 4K 60 and looking at each frame in super slow motion is very similar. Unfortunately at 60 FPS the shutter speed and ISO requirements, especially in rain forest, make it very challenging to get the sharpest, most well defined images, not to mention they are only 8M JPEGS.

I guess that's where a sequence of shots taken on different occasions shines (sharper and better resolution) but then you need to have the same angle of approach, the same lighting, etc. to really make it work well. Are you tripod mounted, when trying to do this?

Jack
I like these and should pursue it myself for the pleasure and artistic value it has. Maybe you have some advice to offer? I can see that it doesn't always work perfectly and that it takes quite a bit of effort to do it justice and I guess that's where practice makes perfect.

I did video of a Quetzal flying to a nest that was 4K 60 and looking at each frame in super slow motion is very similar. Unfortunately at 60 FPS the shutter speed and ISO requirements, especially in rain forest, make it very challenging to get the sharpest, most well defined images, not to mention they are only 8M JPEGS.

I guess that's where a sequence of shots taken on different occasions shines (sharper and better resolution) but then you need to have the same angle of approach, the same lighting, etc. to really make it work well. Are you tripod mounted, when trying to do this?

Jack
I was definitely tripod mounted. With the 5D Mark III, I would end up with about eight shots from a landing sequence. It took a bit of experimenting to select eagle images that did not overlap excessively, once layered on the main image.

Upvote 0

ken

Engineer, snapper of photos, player of banjos
CR Pro
Aug 8, 2016
Huntsville, AL
A lot of inspiring photos from jmeyer and others! I'm really stoked about the upcoming R5. It is going to be my next camera by the end of the year!

Here are some shots with my 6D and Canon 100-400 ii, natural light. Just some backyard stuff from a year or so ago. And yes, I purposely shoot at a shutter speed that allows some wing blur. Personal opinion is that it looks more "alive" with hummers.

IMG_5691.jpg

IMG_6887.jpg

IMG_6905.jpg

IMG_5924.jpg

• Love
Reactions: 13 users
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011

Jack
Jack it's really not that difficult now software has become so good, and I don't use a tripod to do similar images. Just select the still images you want to use in LR, 'Open as Layers in Photoshop' then in PS go 'Edit > Auto-Align Layers' then apply a mask to each layer above the base, then just brush in with white the subject in each image above.

I have loads of examples but none of birds so didn't think it appropriate to post here.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Jack it's really not that difficult now software has become so good, and I don't use a tripod to do similar images. Just select the still images you want to use in LR, 'Open as Layers in Photoshop' then in PS go 'Edit > Auto-Align Layers' then apply a mask to each layer above the base, then just brush in with white the subject in each image above.

I have loads of examples but none of birds so didn't think it appropriate to post here.
Thanks! Trouble is, I'm tied in to ON1 but the big problem is I'm just out of another surgery and have a lot of trouble keeping my focus enough to get started. Once I begin to catch on, I'm OK, it's just that first effort that I can't seem to put forth. If you don't mind PM an example of two and maybe you are aware of similar in ON1??

Jack

Upvote 0

Bert63

What’s in da box?
CR Pro
Dec 3, 2017
A lot of inspiring photos from jmeyer and others! I'm really stoked about the upcoming R5. It is going to be my next camera by the end of the year!

Here are some shots with my 6D and Canon 100-400 ii, natural light. Just some backyard stuff from a year or so ago. And yes, I purposely shoot at a shutter speed that allows some wing blur. Personal opinion is that it looks more "alive" with hummers.

View attachment 189052

View attachment 189054

View attachment 189055

View attachment 189056

These are great and I completely agree with your opinion on wing blur.

I also believe that the only way to shoot a hummer is either in full flight or feeding on a natural source - no bird feeders.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
These are great and I completely agree with your opinion on wing blur.

I also believe that the only way to shoot a hummer is either in full flight or feeding on a natural source - no bird feeders.
Well, not trying to be contrary here since I fully agree that natural is always the ideal, but just putting in my 2 cents that sometimes feeders are what we are stuck with and I'd rather see a bird at a feeder than no bird at all. I suspect that was the intent of the comment anyway so it's probably a non-issue. ;)

Here is another 6D 2013 of mine with Touch Me Not or Jewel Weed as is the more common name - they explode when ripe!:) Kids and seniors love them.:giggle:

Wish I could be out this minute shooting these guys ... but spring is coming soon!

Jack
Ruby-throated Hummingbird_s_8223.JPGRuby-throated Hummingbird_s_8139.JPG

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

Bert63

What’s in da box?
CR Pro
Dec 3, 2017
Well, not trying to be contrary here since I fully agree that natural is always the ideal, but just putting in my 2 cents that sometimes feeders are what we are stuck with and I'd rather see a bird at a feeder than no bird at all. I suspect that was the intent of the comment anyway so it's probably a non-issue. ;)

Here is another 6D 2013 of mine with Touch Me Not or Jewel Weed as is the more common name - they explode when ripe!:) Kids and seniors love them.:giggle:

Wish I could be out this minute shooting these guys ... but spring is coming soon!

Jack
View attachment 189070View attachment 189071

Everyone can do whatever they like, I'm not a gatekeeper, but I don't do feeders for Hummingbirds (or any birds for that matter). Lots of reasons why, but the main one for hummers is that if you're not cleaning them at least twice a week there's a good chance that the bacteria in your feeder is hurting/killing the birds and potentially their babies as well.

Not to mention that the jury is still out on whether or not the dye in the commercial feed is bad for the birds as well. There aren't many people who take the time to learn the proper way to use a feeder and then take the time to do it the 'right' way.

I've planted the types of plants in the yard that attract Hummers and the results are as good or better than if I chose to use a feeder.

If it's a choice of me potentially hurting an animal just so I can see it or not seeing it, then I won't get to see it. Birds perched on a feeder, to me, aren't interesting at all.

Just me and my opinion. YMMV.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Birds perched on a feeder, to me, aren't interesting at all.
Agree!
On other hand yours "(or any birds for that matter) " is somewhat exaggerated: in the winter time (real winter I mean, Hummers are not present there) you can safe a life with the feeders! For the Hummers (because of the nature of the food in the feeders) you are pretty much right and the danger is not only bacteria... Fungi could be much more dangerous!

Upvote 0

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Great, great shots from several guys! Hard to separate and give an upper hand to someone particularly (and it's not necessary, also I'm little bit jealous:oops:!) but I'm really impressed by the shots of davidgator (hmm, it seems I contradict myself but it's rather thin difference and... well, I just love that photos :))! A lot of great things from Alan and Jeremy (for the last one I have no choice but to repeat what jprusa already posted: "Can't wait to see your Warbler pictures." - I always have a great time watching them!

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
... Birds perched on a feeder, to me, aren't interesting at all.

Just me and my opinion. YMMV.
This thread is largely an opinion-free area. Be careful with stating opinions - there may be others who don't like Photoshopped birds, for example, but keep their opinions to themselves.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0