BIRD IN FLIGHT ONLY -- share your BIF photos here

ERHP

EOS RP
May 9, 2013
San Diego
erhp.smugmug.com
I'm not the biggest fan of clipping wings but the shots of the female Osprey bringing fresh nesting material back with both wings fully in the frame just seemed 'small'. Since I had kept shooting her as she passed by, I decided to use this one to emphasis just how wide the wingspan is while also keeping the nesting material relevant.

1 DX MK II : 600 f/4 II w/ 1.4X III 1/3200 : f/7.1 : ISO 1000

Mikehit

EOS 5D MK IV
Jul 28, 2015
I'm not the biggest fan of clipping wings but the shots of the female Osprey bringing fresh nesting material back with both wings fully in the frame just seemed 'small'. Since I had kept shooting her as she passed by, I decided to use this one to emphasis just how wide the wingspan is while also keeping the nesting material relevant.

I really like the framing. Its different and also balanced in the frame - the eye being on a third helps it.

Reactions: ERHP

SteveC

M6 mk II
Sep 3, 2019

Like all artistic rules, it can sometimes be broken to great effect, but is best broken by someone who understands the reason for the rule. It calls attention to the left wing (on our right) and does indeed emphasize the wingspan.

Reactions: ERHP

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
Apr 30, 2017
I got this in the last weekend. Low quality shots. There were two Cattle Egrets flying from right to left no more than 15-20 meters in front of me. One of them looking strange (new species for the science;)). I missed that moment - to busy staring at the unusual bird... Fortunately they made broad turn and come left to right but at ~40m away.
I think some kids have to much free time in this Corona period... Don't believe it was made by adults or without the presence of competent girl in the group:)!
Sorry for the snap shots but I missed the opportunity to get better.

DSC_9695_DxO_DxO.jpg

DSC_9711_DxO_DxO.jpg
DSC_9712_DxO_DxO.jpg

AlanF

Stay alert, control the camera, save photos
Aug 16, 2012
As I wrote in the Portraits thread, we took the 5DIV and 5DSR +100-400mm IIs with us to the Galapagos. I find the 5DSR + 100-400mm II to be pretty good for BIF as they look on fast and the FF and high resolution allow for easier panning, despite the low fps. Here for amusement are successive shots made into a gif of a Blue-footed Booby diving for fish. I caught him as he turned and his final Hockneyesque "Bigger Splash".

Diving_Blue_footed_Booby.gif

HenryL

5D Mk IV
Apr 1, 2020
Very nice! Were you able to track and did you get many keepers?
Thanks! TBH, the percentage was low, but for now I'll take the blame because it handles soooo much differently than the DSLR's I've been using for almost two decades. I really didn't know what I was doing with it. Still, more options for tracking would be appreciated. Oh...and a bigger buffer.

Wanted something small as a 2nd (3rd?) body, and with the 22mm hanging off it this thing is positively tiny. It's a nice camera, and in it's category I can forgive some lack of robustness as BIF is certainly not it's intended purpose. Still, it's a want and not a need so I may end up returning it and waiting for the recently rumored higher end M-series I saw earlier today.

Reactions: Jack Douglas

AlanF

Stay alert, control the camera, save photos
Aug 16, 2012
Thanks! TBH, the percentage was low, but for now I'll take the blame because it handles soooo much differently than the DSLR's I've been using for almost two decades. I really didn't know what I was doing with it. Still, more options for tracking would be appreciated. Oh...and a bigger buffer.

Wanted something small as a 2nd (3rd?) body, and with the 22mm hanging off it this thing is positively tiny. It's a nice camera, and in it's category I can forgive some lack of robustness as BIF is certainly not it's intended purpose. Still, it's a want and not a need so I may end up returning it and waiting for the recently rumored higher end M-series I saw earlier today.
I have an M5 and lots of kit to go with it, and I passed on the M6 II for the 90D. So, I am curious about what I missed.