BIRD IN FLIGHT ONLY -- share your BIF photos here

Female Belted Kingfisher with an evening snack.
FS5001-X3.jpg

Upvote 0
Thanks Click and rpt! She usually flies the opposite direction of where I'm standing but for once I was directly in line.

Sunday night I had barely got the tripod down on the dirt before the juvenile Yellow Crowned Night Heron caught a crab and the adult swooped over to try to take it away. The juvie was having none of this and provided me a couple of closeup shots, crab in bill. Of course it flew into the shadows for part of the sequence, as can be seen in the LR comparison. 5028 and 5029, shown, were part of the same 12fps burst.
TRVFS1102-X3.jpg

Attachments

• 12th.jpg
    12th.jpg
    784.8 KB · Views: 186
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
ERHP said:
Thanks Click and rpt! She usually flies the opposite direction of where I'm standing but for once I was directly in line.

Sunday night I had barely got the tripod down on the dirt before the juvenile Yellow Crowned Night Heron caught a crab and the adult swooped over to try to take it away. The juvie was having none of this and provided me a couple of closeup shots, crab in bill. Of course it flew into the shadows for part of the sequence, as can be seen in the LR comparison. 5028 and 5029, shown, were part of the same 12fps burst.
TRVFS1102-X3.jpg

And another beautiful shot!

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I have uploaded these to show how useful the Powershot 3G X is. The negative reviews about how it lacks an EVF and the aperture gets smaller at 600mm are simply crass. What this camera provides is a superbly crafted piece of kit with a first rate lens that gives an effective reach of a 600mm lens on FF or ~400mm on crop, which you can carry around with you.

This morning I just took mine with me to cycle with into the lab, and when I was there and looked out of the window I saw a dog fight between a marsh harrier and magpies. I rushed out, cranked the exposure up by 1 ev and got a series of well-focussed shots of the birds, which were far away. For that distance, the results are quite acceptable. The lower one with two magpies had +3 for shadows (processed from RAW using Canon DPP 4.3). The other is RAW out of camera with no post-processing other than smart sharpen 0.3/100 in PS after DPP conversion to jpeg.

You can take this great little camera with you to so many places.

Attachments

• Marsh_Harrier+Magpie_IMG_0568_CR.jpg
    Marsh_Harrier+Magpie_IMG_0568_CR.jpg
    295.4 KB · Views: 153
  • MarshHarriervsMagpies_0578_CR_.jpg
    MarshHarriervsMagpies_0578_CR_.jpg
    747.5 KB · Views: 153
Upvote 0