BIRD IN FLIGHT ONLY -- share your BIF photos here

Jack Douglas said:
KeithBreazeal said:
Man, there are so many awesome captures on this thread!
I wish I lived closer to opportunities to shoot- and something more that 300mm.

You do have the 2X extender for your 300??

Jack

I have a 1.4X
All my lenses are version I - they are old, I am old. The 2X is up to version III if I remember correctly.
I have been considering going to a 2X lately. Don't know which version 2X would be the best match for the old VI 300L 2.8.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
KeithBreazeal said:
Jack Douglas said:
KeithBreazeal said:
Man, there are so many awesome captures on this thread!
I wish I lived closer to opportunities to shoot- and something more that 300mm.

You do have the 2X extender for your 300??

Jack

I have a 1.4X
All my lenses are version I - they are old, I am old. The 2X is up to version III if I remember correctly.
I have been considering going to a 2X lately. Don't know which version 2X would be the best match for the old VI 300L 2.8.

Keith, I'm getting up there too but old is relative, right? Almost all my previous 3 years bird/wildlife photos were 6D with 300 2.8 II X2 III and I've been very happy with that 600. I only moved to the 400 X2 because I perceived I was on the edge with many photos, where 600 -> 800 would make a pretty big difference relative to cropping and scaring birds.

In case you're interested in checking that 300 X2 combo out here is where I post some of my shots.

http://yourshot.nationalgeographic.com/profile/647784/

If you look, be sure to do slide show for higher resolution. Camera/lens data is there.

BTW I tried 300 X1.4 a few times and was always quite disappointed, in particular the distance made spot AF too broad and cropping did not come close to 600.

Jack

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I really love the last shot. You have captured a great moment - he looks so menacing, the head is at a great angle as are the wings. I liked it so much that I downloaded it to play with it a bit. I increased the exposure in Photoshop by 1.5 ev. Does this distort the colours? Have I made it unreal? I am not familiar with the blue of the Florida sky but am used to the watery blue English sky, which I have tweaked it to.

Anyway, congratulations.

Attachments

• Brown_Pelican-2+1.5ev.jpg
    Brown_Pelican-2+1.5ev.jpg
    992.4 KB · Views: 114
Upvote 0
AlanF said:
I really love the last shot. You have captured a great moment - he looks so menacing, the head is at a great angle as are the wings. I liked it so much that I downloaded it to play with it a bit. I increased the exposure in Photoshop by 1.5 ev. Does this distort the colours? Have I made it unreal? I am not familiar with the blue of the Florida sky but am used to the watery blue English sky, which I have tweaked it to.

Anyway, congratulations.
Thanks. The colors remain true in the bird when lightened.

It was very early morning so the sky was a darker blue when I shot it.

Upvote 0
AlanF said:
I am beginning to favour the 5DS R + 400mm DO II + 1.6xTC over the 5DIV + 2400mm DO II + 2xTC. I got some good shots of a male kestrel an hour or two ago with the 5DS R at 560mm. Overexposed by 1.33 stops, 1/1600s. f/5.6, iso 500

Terrific shots Alan! I plan to rent a 400 DOII soon to kick the tires, you have posted some excellent work with that lens. I'm leaning toward a 500 f/4 II at this point, but may be convinced to get at DO II instead.

Upvote 0

Krob78

When in Doubt, Press the Shutter...
Aug 8, 2012
The Florida Peninsula
AlanF said:
I am beginning to favour the 5DS R + 400mm DO II + 1.6xTC over the 5DIV + 2400mm DO II + 2xTC. I got some good shots of a male kestrel an hour or two ago with the 5DS R at 560mm. Overexposed by 1.33 stops, 1/1600s. f/5.6, iso 500. The difficulty with the shots of kestrels is to have the face without shadow, which is tricky. In good light, they always face away from the sun, and the body and wings shade the face. With these, I didn't have to play with any lifting of shadows. The processing was just 100% 0.9px USM for a tweak of sharpening.
Fantastic Allen! To me, the Kestrel is one of the most difficult birds to catch in flight! The 400 DO II and your 5D4 are doing an excellent job as well. Bravo! Very nice images and I agree, the do like to fly more away from the sun, as opposed to in to the sun! Again, really nice!

Cheers! :)

Upvote 0