BIRD IN FLIGHT ONLY -- share your BIF photos here

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Mike.
Thank you, as you can probably guess, these are the shareable shots (from a series of bursts at 10fps).
Yes it was a paid for experience with South Coast Falconry, they operate out of a local visitor attraction called Robin Hill on the Isle of Wight.
I would love to have connections in the falconry world but alas too many other hobbies and commitments, classic cars will keep you busy but at least some of the car shows are at fairs where there is falconry (but several dozens of people also trying to watch them).

Cheers, Graham.

Mikehit said:
An impressive series, Graham especially keeping a peregrine in focus.

Was this an organised paid-for experience (if so, would you mind letting me know who it was) or do you have connections in the falconry world?

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Jack.
Thank you.
Yes one could hang around there with a telephoto lens, but for the welfare of the birds they are only flown 2 or 3 times a day for park visitors, I don't know how many falconry experiences they do in a day we were on one which was after park closing, hence the changing light, some shaded areas, some bright sun transitioning in to golden hour.
The park is quite expensive to visit! There are 3 or 4 places on the Isle of Wight that do falconry so plenty of choice within a 12 mile radius.

Cheers, Graham.

Jack Douglas said:
Very nice Graham. It would be great if a person could just hang around there shooting with a telephoto for practice! ;)

Jack

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
Valvebounce said:
Hi Mike.
Thank you, as you can probably guess, these are the shareable shots (from a series of bursts at 10fps).
Yes it was a paid for experience with South Coast Falconry, they operate out of a local visitor attraction called Robin Hill on the Isle of Wight.
I would love to have connections in the falconry world but alas too many other hobbies and commitments, classic cars will keep you busy but at least some of the car shows are at fairs where there is falconry (but several dozens of people also trying to watch them).

Cheers, Graham.

Thanks Graham.
South Coast is a bit far from Manchester, but her are some up here.

Upvote 0

mnclayshooter

I love shooting - clay pigeons and photos!
Oct 28, 2013
Minnesota, USA
hbr said:
I checked a lot of your photos on Flickr, Helmut, and I must say, you have a lot of lovely photos there.

Brian

I'm in complete agreement - nice work!

The wood duck in the above series is about as perfect as it gets. Sharp, colorful, and framed well for "movement".

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Helmut.
Thank you.
A very nice series of shots from you too, particularly the way you caught the iridescent colours on the duck and pigeon.

Cheers, Graham.

Helmi2010 said:
Valvebounce said:
Hi Folks.
A few flight pictures from the falconry experience we went on.

Cheers, Graham.

Great shots!

Best regards

Helmut

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
IslanderMV said:
Black-Necked Stilt. Very rare here. Last one seen 34 years ago.

Photo taken in small pond on a horse farm. It is a minor miracle I got any clear shots as the horses were following me around nuzzling me for pats.

Sounds like a very special day/experience. Very nice.

Jack

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
As I have just posted in Bird Portraits, I love bee eaters but have only seen them twice before. This month, in Portugal, we were around just as they arrived on immigration. There was a whole flock of them in what we called bee eater alley.

Attachments

• beeeatersflying_2B4A2253-DxO_vg.jpg
    beeeatersflying_2B4A2253-DxO_vg.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 133
  • beeeatersflying_2B4A2273-DxO_vg.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 115
Upvote 0