BIRD IN FLIGHT ONLY -- share your BIF photos here

Fab, it is!
-r

rpt said:
Eldar said:
I seldom have luck with the great spotted woodpecker. They are fast as hell and their nests are usually hidden behind thick leaves. However, this time I found an opening. I had to build a platform of gravel and wood, to get high enough, but it gave me free sight to the nest opening. Next challenge was to catch one of them in flight. They deliberately (I am quite sure!) flew the other way and when they came my way, it was difficult to set focus correctly. But I got a few.

This one has just finished house cleaning :)

1DX-II, 600 f4L IS II
1/4000s, f/8.0, ISO4000

Wow! Fabulous shot!

Upvote 0
Thanks guys.

I made another attempt today. The problem is that the only way I can photograph it is when it is flying straight at me and they are extremely fast. Autofocus is useless, so I had to set focus at a certain distance and hope it would be in the frame when it passed that point. However, I had to change all the time, because of all the leaves, the sun was only coming through in a small area. Shooting it in the shadow, with the required shutter speed and acceptable ISO was not an option.

Here is one from today.

Attachments

• _V4I2252.jpg
    _V4I2252.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 136
Upvote 0
I like the wing position on that shot.

Eldar said:
Thanks guys.

I made another attempt today. The problem is that the only way I can photograph it is when it is flying straight at me and they are extremely fast. Autofocus is useless, so I had to set focus at a certain distance and hope it would be in the frame when it passed that point. However, I had to change all the time, because of all the leaves, the sun was only coming through in a small area. Shooting it in the shadow, with the required shutter speed and acceptable ISO was not an option.

Here is one from today.

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
I spent a weekend in NE England photographing seabirds at Bempton Cliffs. The weather was too good (how often do you hear that complaint in England) for photography with clear skies and strong sun but it enabled good shutter speed.

Gannets soon became easy meat so I targeted the gui9llemots, razorbills and puffins - critters that are only about 20cm (8 inches) tall and fly like bullets.

1Dx2, 400DOii plus 1.4x

Attachments

• AE919877 - guillemot with fish-101.JPG
    AE919877 - guillemot with fish-101.JPG
    309.6 KB · Views: 118
Upvote 0
Black Kite with the new Sigma 500 F4 OS and Canon 7D mark II:
PW6A0405_l.jpg

Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
digigal said:
Here's my contribution: White tail Eagle vs Greater Black back Gull (Norway)

Catherine
digigal said:
Oh, and I might as well throw in another one too--an Arctic tern twists in mid air to shake off water after a bath. Iceland.
Catherine
Hi Catherine!

Two really great pics. Both, capture of the moment as well as technique are really fantastic.
Makes me jealous somehow ;)

Upvote 0
Too true!
Superb photos!
Well done.
-r

Maximilian said:
digigal said:
Here's my contribution: White tail Eagle vs Greater Black back Gull (Norway)

Catherine
digigal said:
Oh, and I might as well throw in another one too--an Arctic tern twists in mid air to shake off water after a bath. Iceland.
Catherine
Hi Catherine!

Two really great pics. Both, capture of the moment as well as technique are really fantastic.
Makes me jealous somehow ;)

Upvote 0