BIRD IN FLIGHT ONLY -- share your BIF photos here

ISO64

CR Pro
Jul 2, 2015
Keith_Reeder said:
hbr said:
Wow! Beautiful shots Keith. I'm impressed.

Thanks, guys - I'm not an habitual BIF shooter, but I always try to catch something happening (rather than the bird just flying by), in the hope of making the image stand out a little.

Keith,

That's one to look in awe!

Regards,
ISO64

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Someone posted in one of the threads recently that they couldn't get their 5DSR/100-400mm II to focus rapidly enough to capture swallows in flight. By coincidence, I got just 1 shot in of a barnswallow sweeping in front of me at high velocity 15m away yesterday near Stockholm where I am visiting with my 5DSR and 100-400mm II. The shot isn't perfect as the speed was only 1/2000s at f5.6 and iso 640, but the focus was nailed. The angle is quite nice and it will look OK printed small.

Attachments

• barnswallowflying_3Q7A1220-DxO.jpg
    barnswallowflying_3Q7A1220-DxO.jpg
    784.6 KB · Views: 143
Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Alan.
Nice shot, congrats on even getting it in the frame, the fact that you have focus on it is a bonus.

Cheers, Graham.

AlanF said:
Someone posted in one of the threads recently that they couldn't get their 5DSR/100-400mm II to focus rapidly enough to capture swallows in flight. By coincidence, I got just 1 shot in of a barnswallow sweeping in front of me at high velocity 15m away yesterday near Stockholm where I am visiting with my 5DSR and 100-400mm II. The shot isn't perfect as the speed was only 1/2000s at f5.6 and iso 640, but the focus was nailed. The angle is quite nice and it will look OK printed small.

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi LonelyBoy.
Very nice shot, I wish it was shot with my camera, but hey that didn't happen either! ;D
What bird is it please, not one I recognise, but then I can't recognise many so not saying much.

Cheers, Graham.

LonelyBoy said:
Shot this guy while my wife was finishing a bike ride. Wished this one was against blue sky instead of blah clouds.

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Riley.
Very nice shots, why is it the birds never cooperate completely by flying where there is a nice clean background?

Cheers, Graham.

lion rock said:
Our hummy visitors came about 6 weeks late. Normally the boys don't come, but I have one visiting.
Shot with 7DII and 100-400II at 400mm, wide open, ISO 3200, about 12 feet away.
-r

Upvote 0
Thanks Jack.
I don't know where they go or what they eat. For several years, the boys return earlier than the girls by a few days. Then, when the females arrive, the boys sort of got rare. Even if they stay, the girls would chase them away at the feeders. A boy's life.
It's rare to be able to shoot the boys, they flit around quite fast. I was lucky last night.
-r

Jack Douglas said:
Riley, very nice! Any idea what the boys are up to? I've taken hundreds of shots of Ruby throats by the slew and never one male! :(

Jack

Upvote 0
Time well spent, in a way.
Great shot of a VERY difficult situation. Congrats.
-r

Mikehit said:
I spent a happy (if frustrating!) hour or so trying to capture swallows in flight. Out of the several hundred, barely half a dozen were close enough and sharp enough to warrant showing to anyone else
1DEx2 with 400DOii and 2x tc Mkiii
1/4000, f8, ISO 6400

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Mike.
Very nice shot, a small reward for your effort and patience, as anyone who has tried to photograph Swallows will know, it ain't easy.

Cheers, Graham.

Mikehit said:
I spent a happy (if frustrating!) hour or so trying to capture swallows in flight. Out of the several hundred, barely half a dozen were close enough and sharp enough to warrant showing to anyone else
1DEx2 with 400DOii and 2x tc Mkiii
1/4000, f8, ISO 6400

Upvote 0