BIRD IN FLIGHT ONLY -- share your BIF photos here

Jul 28, 2015
That bird was probably about 30 feet away and the image is cropped about 30% along the edge
1/2500 sec, f8 and ISO 2500.
It was nicely cloudy sometimes but changeable which made it tricky to maintain the whites. IN retrospect i could have underexposed about 0.5-1 stop and been able to recover in post processing to keep the whites in range.

It was actually on a golf course at a resort hotel (I was away on business) and in between two holes was a ridge - the hotel was about 50metres across one hole, trees about 80metres across the other across the other side so when the birds flew they often obligingly did circuits which gave me time to compose and get multiple passes.

The 2x tc does make it tricky. I am just about getting the habit of putting the camera to my eye and having the bird in the centre third to minimise focus time but still learning to control the momentum of a rig that is significantly heavier than I am used to.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Mikehit said:
That bird was probably about 30 feet away and the image is cropped about 30% along the edge
It was nicely cloudy sometimes but changeable which made it tricky to maintain the whites. IN retrospect i could have underexposed about 0.5-1 stop and been able to recover in post processing to keep the whites in range.

It was actually on a golf course at a resort hotel (I was away on business) and in between two holes was a ridge - the hotel was about 50metres across one hole, trees about 80metres across the other across the other side so when the birds flew they often obligingly did circuits which gave me time to compose and get multiple passes.

The 2x tc does make it tricky. I am just about getting the habit of putting the camera to my eye and having the bird in the centre third to minimise focus time but still learning to control the momentum of a rig that is significantly heavier than I am used to.

Thanks for that thorough explanation! Now have you any preference on the 1DX2 AF parameters?

Jack

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
Jack Douglas said:
Mikehit said:

Thanks for that thorough explanation! Now have you any preference on the 1DX2 AF parameters?

Jack

I've only had it 2 weeks and I'm still learning it to be honest. Coming from the 7D2 I like the selectable AF at f8 and even though framing is pretty much identical to the 7D2 with the 400+1.4x, the image quality in lower light is definitely better which is why I got it in the first place.

That shot of the oyster catcher was part of a 2-hour session taken in manual mode - with the short grass I was able to take a shot of the grass every 10 minutes or so and check the histogram was near central. But for now I am using Case 2 with centre point and 4 or 8 expanded points.

I still wonder if I would have been better off with the 5D4 and 1Dx but I have used the off-centre points at f8 a lot and the 6 fps of the 5DIV just seems so slow.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Mikehit said:
Jack Douglas said:
Mikehit said:

Jack

I've only had it 2 weeks and I'm still learning it to be honest. Coming from the 7D2 I like the selectable AF at f8 and even though framing is pretty much identical to the 7D2 with the 400+1.4x, the image quality in lower light is definitely better which is why I got it in the first place.

That shot of the oyster catcher was part of a 2-hour session taken in manual mode - with the short grass I was able to take a shot of the grass every 10 minutes or so and check the histogram was near central. But for now I am using Case 2 with centre point and 4 or 8 expanded points.

I still wonder if I would have been better off with the 5D4 and 1Dx but I have used the off-centre points at f8 a lot and the 6 fps of the 5DIV just seems so slow.

Thanks again. I'm contemplating the 6D2 upgrade if ... Now that I have about 15K on the 1DX2, I would be very hard pressed to give up the illuminated AF points, metering linked to AF points and especially 14 fps. I see many shots with nice variations in some aspect due to the speed, but more MP would have been nice too. Spring yard-work is cramping my shooting time, not to mention all the other undone jobs.

Jack

Upvote 0