BIRD IN FLIGHT ONLY -- share your BIF photos here

I spent the afternoon getting shots of turkey vultures on top of a small local mountain. There are always at least 40 of them soaring around on sunny days and the often come quite close. I was having a good day untill a bald eagle showed up and the vultures scattered. Of course the eagle was to far for pictures :mad:
1ds mrkIII
400 f5.6
1/1250
iso 800
1DS30187 by Stuart Edwards, on Flickr

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Stuart.
Very nice shot, near me it tends to be buzzards circling too far away and when you get to where they were they are somewhere else and don't seem to come back, or if they do the crows come and chase them off.

Cheers, Graham.
Edit to remove duplicate of the photo.

sedwards said:
I spent the afternoon getting shots of turkey vultures on top of a small local mountain. There are always at least 40 of them soaring around on sunny days and the often come quite close. I was having a good day untill a bald eagle showed up and the vultures scattered. Of course the eagle was to far for pictures :mad:
1ds mrkIII
400 f5.6
1/1250
iso 800

Upvote 0

tarntyke

Triumph of enthusiasm over ability
Apr 15, 2015
United Kingdom
Valvebounce said:
Hi clbayley.
Nice shot of a common subject.

Cheers, Graham.
+1 nice shot, but common subject? Bill is more hooked than black-headed gull. Head is more black than chocolate brown. For location (California ?) Laughing gull or Franklin's gull more likely. Either species would get my birder friends twitching here in U.K.

Upvote 0
Nat_WA said:
Very special effect clbayley! Is the reflection in the water just below? Post processed to hide the water itself?
The reflection does put the gull in context! Well done!

Wiebe

Thanks! I was in a canoe in the middle of a lake and these Franklin's Gulls were circling around me plucking bugs off the water. Most of the time they had a dark background (like this one). This one flew into the light so the water is completely blown out. I do admit photoshopping a few remnant reflections catching wave tips, but the white was out of the camera.

Attachments

• IMG_4762-1.jpg
    IMG_4762-1.jpg
    651 KB · Views: 122
Upvote 0
clbayley said:
Nat_WA said:
Very special effect clbayley! Is the reflection in the water just below? Post processed to hide the water itself?
The reflection does put the gull in context! Well done!

Wiebe

Thanks! I was in a canoe in the middle of a lake and these Franklin's Gulls were circling around me plucking bugs off the water. Most of the time they had a dark background (like this one). This one flew into the light so the water is completely blown out. I do admit photoshopping a few remnant reflections catching wave tips, but the white was out of the camera.

Thanks for the explanation!
You're brave - taking camera in a canoe on a lake; swinging it around to capture these gulls... :eek:
Second picture is nice too - with the water droplets capturing the light!

Wiebe

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I am resurfacing after processing a 1000s of photos from our holiday in Sabah, the Malaysian part of Borneo. Here is the photo on the first morning that made the trip for me: a crested serpent eagle flying with a serpent in its talons! 5DIV + 400mm DO II at f/4. The combo focusses so quickly for BIF.

Attachments

• crestedserpenteagle+serpent_2B4A6435_DxO_New.jpg
    crestedserpenteagle+serpent_2B4A6435_DxO_New.jpg
    993.8 KB · Views: 132
Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Alan.
Great shot, very cool to see him living up to his name (unless you are a snake!).

Cheers, Graham.

AlanF said:
I am resurfacing after processing a 1000s of photos from our holiday in Sabah, the Malaysian part of Borneo. Here is the photo on the first morning that made the trip for me: a crested serpent eagle flying with a serpent in its talons! 5DIV + 400mm DO II at f/4. The combo focusses so quickly for BIF.

Upvote 0