BIRD IN FLIGHT ONLY -- share your BIF photos here

Nov 17, 2011
Shot with Sony RX10 IV, wide open, 155mm on 1" sensor = about 420mm on FF.

It's so nice to have a zoom(24-600mm optical) camera that could track BIF. Great lens from Zeiss, sharp wide open. What I enjoy most is the weight , 2.41lbs. No tripod, no gimbal head, just 1-2 extra batteries you will be good with few thousand photos.

_DSC0134 by Dylan Nguyen, on Flickr

Upvote 0
Nov 17, 2011
@ Jack and Click -- as I'm getting older each days my back and bank are appreciated this little RX10 IV ;D

After 2k shots BIF and kids running around, I'm confident to leave my 2470 & 70200 GM home for up coming ski and snow playing trip with the kids :)

Shot with Sony RX10 IV, wide open, 220mm on 1" sensor = about 600mm on FF.
_DSC0720 by Dylan Nguyen, on Flickr

Upvote 0
Dec 17, 2013
The other thing that could be useful about the 1" superzoom camera is that it is less conspicuous and more controllable than a conventional interchangeable camera/lens combo for combination tourism and birding in less-developed countries, where a Canon Rebel and Tamron 150-600 might be the equivalent of a year's earnings for some of the citizens. I knew of a mission doctor who went birding in his spare time, used a 1" superzoom, good results (for small images - which is what he wanted - slide show).

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
NancyP said:
The other thing that could be useful about the 1" superzoom camera is that it is less conspicuous and more controllable than a conventional interchangeable camera/lens combo for combination tourism and birding in less-developed countries, where a Canon Rebel and Tamron 150-600 might be the equivalent of a year's earnings for some of the citizens. I knew of a mission doctor who went birding in his spare time, used a 1" superzoom, good results (for small images - which is what he wanted - slide show).

I think it's absolutely wonderful that the choices exist giving even those with modest incomes the opportunity to shoot quality photos. As in most things in life there is poor - don't buy, good - does the job well, and better/best - does the job somewhat better than good for a lot more money but often not really worth the bucks unless they are easy to come by.

I have slight regrets about my progression but overall I'm thrilled with my switch to Canon and especially the 400 DO II but it is heavy and it meant I would forgo having half the wardrobe that others have, no fancy cars, etc., etc. My biggest gain has been better IQ in high ISO shots.

There are good causes to support, which I do, and all that but this is the one perk I'm giving myself when time still allows. It doesn't phase me when young to middle aged folk bemoan the costs of gear cause I've been through all that all my life, skimping to get by.

The best thing is freedom to buy and enjoy what suits you best! Times are changing and smaller is getting better. So, I'm happy for you Dylan but this is a Canon forum presumably showcasing Canon gear so I'm not sure what you hope to hear. ;) :)

Jack

Upvote 0
Nov 17, 2011
Jack Douglas said:
NancyP said:

I think it's absolutely wonderful that the choices exist giving even those with modest incomes the opportunity to shoot quality photos. As in most things in life there is poor - don't buy, good - does the job well, and better/best - does the job somewhat better than good for a lot more money but often not really worth the bucks unless they are easy to come by.

I have slight regrets about my progression but overall I'm thrilled with my switch to Canon and especially the 400 DO II but it is heavy and it meant I would forgo having half the wardrobe that others have, no fancy cars, etc., etc. My biggest gain has been better IQ in high ISO shots.

There are good causes to support, which I do, and all that but this is the one perk I'm giving myself when time still allows. It doesn't phase me when young to middle aged folk bemoan the costs of gear cause I've been through all that all my life, skimping to get by.

The best thing is freedom to buy and enjoy what suits you best! Times are changing and smaller is getting better. So, I'm happy for you Dylan but this is a Canon forum presumably showcasing Canon gear so I'm not sure what you hope to hear. ;) :)

Jack

Jack, keep in mind I was shooting Canon shooter for good 8-10yrs ;)

I simply want to share my hand-on experience with this RX10. By no means, saying Sony/Nikon/Canon better. Just wanted to share with those want to shoot wildlife & BIF in good light that there is "budget friendly" option available.

As I recalled, my primary for BIF combo was 1dx + 400f2.8 IS II + 1.4x III. Shooting at ISO3200 is an easy walk in the park.
_X7U2220 by Dylan Nguyen, on Flickr

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Dylan, no problem; and if Canon users choose to switch it's not an issue with me.

However, it makes me think of a very popular bird photographer who, as he ages, comes up with advice and wisdom that is not so much wisdom but a sign of his aging and different preferences due to limitations. Of course it's not uncommon for aging folk to camouflage the sad reality with hints that they are just "wiser" now. Of course some wisdom comes with age but there is also a degree of "laziness" to. I should know! ;) I'm happier with folk like AlanF who simply say they can't or don't want to deal with the bulk/weight.

I'm not suggesting you are in this category only passing my thoughts. Glad to hear you're enjoying your gear.

Jack

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Jack
I went on a hike today with my 5DIV + 400mm DO II + 1.4xTC slung over both shoulders with my $10 Chinese knockoff of a Blackrapid double strap. Despite my being an overweight, unfit 74-year old I had no trouble walking and shooting hand held, and I am going to take it for birding in Tenerife next week. But, I am currently weighing up (no pun intended) light gear for a bird safari in Tanzania next November where it might not be possible to take my Canon gear because of weight limitations in small planes. A key facet of these trips is dawn and dusk photography where an f/4 1" sensor just won't cut it, unfortunately, as the Sony does look excellent for decent light photography. My wife will take the M5 + Tamron 100-400mm which is light combo and will be fine for static shots. For BIF I am toying with either an Olympus OM-D EM-1 II +300/4 or the new Panasonic DC-G9 with the new 200/2.8, but they are very expensive. And I worry about the future of MFT as the bodies of these pro models are close to APS-C in size. If only Canon would up with a very high resolution APS-C and light shorter primes.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
AlanF said:
Jack
I went on a hike today with my 5DIV + 400mm DO II + 1.4xTC slung over both shoulders with my $10 Chinese knockoff of a Blackrapid double strap. Despite my being an overweight, unfit 74-year old I had no trouble walking and shooting hand held, and I am going to take it for birding in Tenerife next week. But, I am currently weighing up (no pun intended) light gear for a bird safari in Tanzania next November where it might not be possible to take my Canon gear because of weight limitations in small planes. A key facet of these trips is dawn and dusk photography where an f/4 1" sensor just won't cut it, unfortunately, as the Sony does look excellent for decent light photography. My wife will take the M5 + Tamron 100-400mm which is light combo and will be fine for static shots. For BIF I am toying with either an Olympus OM-D EM-1 II +300/4 or the new Panasonic DC-G9 with the new 200/2.8, but they are very expensive. And I worry about the future of MFT as the bodies of these pro models are close to APS-C in size. If only Canon would up with a very high resolution APS-C and light shorter primes.

Alan, I was alluding to someone much more famous than you. ;) I know exactly where you are coming from and share your ambitions to some extent. Rather than being over weight I'm more like the 110 pound weakling.

Travel is a concern in various ways - weight restrictions, theft is common in some areas, etc and to boot a holiday is not just for the photographer fanatic alone (usually). We both have good/tolerant wives but there is a limit. ;) Unless, of course, yours is a true photography fanatic - mine is more of a nature lover.

For motorhome excursions in western Canada I'm very happy with my bulky gear ... for now that is ... and who knows how many more years. The bug in my bonnet, a little less for now, has always been needing higher ISO performance. That's why I've always laughed at all the "best dynamic range" nonsense. I think I shot at ISO 100 once - just joking.

Jack

Upvote 0
I have been extremely lucky this year to have found 7 different snowy owls all within 40 min of my house .
they have been very co-operative as models and the light has been fantastic on the last few outings.
all shot with a1D markIV and 400 f5.6L
_DIV01211 by Stuart Edwards, on Flickr
_DSC1245 by Stuart Edwards, on Flickr

Upvote 0