BIRD IN FLIGHT ONLY -- share your BIF photos here

snappy604

CR Pro
Jan 25, 2017
Talys said:
Wow, Snappy, the last one is very cool. Nice series!

Is the second one a harrier?

While I love taking pictures of wildlife, I'm not a true birder, so not sure. Originally thought it was a redtail hawk, looks like it possibly is? I think this one shows the bird clearer, but the background was a bit less interesting :)

Attachments

• _MG_3946.jpg
    _MG_3946.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 121
Upvote 0

tarntyke

Triumph of enthusiasm over ability
Apr 15, 2015
United Kingdom
@ snappy
[/quote]
While I love taking pictures of wildlife, I'm not a true birder, so not sure. Originally thought it was a redtail hawk, looks like it possibly is? I think this one shows the bird clearer, but the background was a bit less interesting :)
[/quote]
Could it be a female Northern Harrier?

Upvote 0

ethanz

1DX II
CR Pro
Apr 12, 2016
ethanzentz.com
tarntyke said:
snappy604 said:
Talys said:

Snappy, I too am not much of a birder, only a photographer. My friend is big into birds though and he also said it was a northern harrier. "You can tell by the white stripe at the base of the tail"

Upvote 0

snappy604

CR Pro
Jan 25, 2017
ethanz said:
tarntyke said:
snappy604 said:
Talys said:

Snappy, I too am not much of a birder, only a photographer. My friend is big into birds though and he also said it was a northern harrier. "You can tell by the white stripe at the base of the tail"

sorry "looks like it possibly is" was meant as an agreement on the Northern Harrier. A quick google shows a lot of pics that look almost identical.

Upvote 0
snappy604 said:
ethanz said:
tarntyke said:
snappy604 said:
Talys said:

sorry "looks like it possibly is" was meant as an agreement on the Northern Harrier. A quick google shows a lot of pics that look almost identical.

This is a female Northern Harrier. Very nice shot! I find them to be very elusive. May be that I am not patient enough. The males are quite stunning.

Upvote 0
This is from last spring. Looking forward to the swans returning in the next couple of weeks. Still working out the kinks on different AF option on my 5D mk iv for BIF.

Attachments

• swansflight.jpg
    swansflight.jpg
    603.9 KB · Views: 104
Upvote 0
Click said:
AuroraChaserDoug said:
This is from last spring. Looking forward to the swans returning in the next couple of weeks. Still working out the kinks on different AF option on my 5D mk iv for BIF.

Nice picture.

Thanks. I thought about cleaning the "rust" from their feathers but these are wild animals and not Central Park residents ;)

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Down under using the 5DSR and 100-400mm II. I find the combo very good for BIF, despite the 5DSR having the reputation of some shutter lag. It tracks very well indeed and the AF is very fast and accurate, and I get a very high proportion of keepers. Every one in a series of a Little Black Cormorant taking off, a Sulphurcrested Cockatoo flying past and a gull zooming past were sharp.

Attachments

• littleblackcormoranttakingoff_3Q7A7255_DxO.jpg
    littleblackcormoranttakingoff_3Q7A7255_DxO.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 96
  • sulphurcrestedcockatooflying_3Q7A7317_DxO.jpg
    sulphurcrestedcockatooflying_3Q7A7317_DxO.jpg
    320.4 KB · Views: 79
  • flyinggull_3Q7A7092_DxO.jpg
    flyinggull_3Q7A7092_DxO.jpg
    182.1 KB · Views: 91
Upvote 0
AlanF,
Great shots! For sure.
Cockatoos are numerous there, and they are roaming freely, so nice.
I saw a lot of ibis, and they're quite easy to shoot, both on ground or in flight.
Good ones.
-r

AlanF said:
Down under using the 5DSR and 100-400mm II. I find the combo very good for BIF, despite the 5DSR having the reputation of some shutter lag. It tracks very well indeed and the AF is very fast and accurate, and I get a very high proportion of keepers. Every one in a series of a Little Black Cormorant taking off, a Sulphurcrested Cockatoo flying past and a gull zooming past were sharp.

Upvote 0

snappy604

CR Pro
Jan 25, 2017
lion rock said:
Shot this near Ladner, BC.
Not as good as shots by a lot you the contributors here.
-r

Lot of my shots looked like that and it's tempting to still do that.. however birding (wildlife, planes, etc) is about scouting locations and patience.. and long lenses (and panning).

Ladner is ok for Eagles, but there is a heavy concentration at Boundary Bay (Tsawwassen) and in Delta (more than the Reifle Bird Sanc) at park 40 North (near the dump). The last one is a recent location for me (thanks to another member) Also Dec-Feb seems to be best time as eagles move here for food, but seem to spread out more during summer/fall. At the two locations there are dozens in the trees, so wait for them to fly... and at times I've been able to walk to within about 10-15ft of some eagles. It's pretty cool to watch them that close, but not interesting enough to post pictures of it.

Upvote 0
True, it is ONLY more than 2700 miles (4300 km) to Vancouver for me. Nothing to write home about 8).
Another factor was that it was not a pleasure trip for me this time, much of which was with family members who congregated together for a somber service.
Did hear of other locations that have more concentration of eagles, particularly near the dump and harbour, I didn't want to drag the rest of the group to those places (as much as I want to.)
Near the James River, Virginia, early February is best for eagles, though cold. By March, they have gone into nesting and less visible.
-r

Jack Douglas said:
Ah, but Riley has to travel quite a distance to get there, I think. ;)

Jack

Upvote 0

snappy604

CR Pro
Jan 25, 2017
lion rock said:
True, it is ONLY more than 2700 miles (4300 km) to Vancouver for me. Nothing to write home about 8).
Another factor was that it was not a pleasure trip for me this time, much of which was with family members who congregated together for a somber service.
Did hear of other locations that have more concentration of eagles, particularly near the dump and harbour, I didn't want to drag the rest of the group to those places (as much as I want to.)
Near the James River, Virginia, early February is best for eagles, though cold. By March, they have gone into nesting and less visible.
-r

Jack Douglas said:
Ah, but Riley has to travel quite a distance to get there, I think. ;)

Jack

sorry thought you were local with mentioning Ladner and your user id could be the famous rock peaks near us 'the lions'..

Upvote 0