BIRD IN FLIGHT ONLY -- share your BIF photos here

Thank you very much, AlanF! Great shot.
Hope you enjoy the North Island.
I OD-ed on flat white and their pastries. Got to go for those may be 3 times a day. These coffee/pastry houses are all over the place, each enticing you with their offerings. Just love it!
Even small villages have huge espresso machines, incredible. Though, in Oz, that's not quite true :mad:.
-r

AlanF said:
lion rock said:
Hope your visit was an excellent one.
Visiting there was a great deal already. To get some wonderful shots there was the cream of the trip!
-r

AlanF said:
We are now in New Zealand. This afternoon my wife and I took shots of a Gannet almost simultaneously. Her shot using the 100-400mm II on the 5DSR (top) is sharper than mine using the 400mm DO II on the 5DIV, which is expected from the better resolution I find on charts. I seem to have picked up a blue patch in the sky.

I took this one just for you: Lion Rock, Piha Beach, Waitakere.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
lion rock said:
Thank you very much, AlanF! Great shot.
Hope you enjoy the North Island.
I OD-ed on flat white and their pastries. Got to go for those may be 3 times a day. These coffee/pastry houses are all over the place, each enticing you with their offerings. Just love it!
Even small villages have huge espresso machines, incredible. Though, in Oz, that's not quite true :mad:.
-r

AlanF said:
lion rock said:
Hope your visit was an excellent one.
Visiting there was a great deal already. To get some wonderful shots there was the cream of the trip!
-r

AlanF said:
We are now in New Zealand. This afternoon my wife and I took shots of a Gannet almost simultaneously. Her shot using the 100-400mm II on the 5DSR (top) is sharper than mine using the 400mm DO II on the 5DIV, which is expected from the better resolution I find on charts. I seem to have picked up a blue patch in the sky.

I took this one just for you: Lion Rock, Piha Beach, Waitakere.

This grey duck is in flight from me: he stole that biscuit out of my hand when I wasn't watching, just after I took the Lion Rock photo. Being mugged by an NZ duck is no joke when you lose a delicious home made biscuit.

Attachments

• greyduck_Biscuit_3Q7A8292_DxO_mugging.jpg
    greyduck_Biscuit_3Q7A8292_DxO_mugging.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 94
Upvote 0

tarntyke

Triumph of enthusiasm over ability
Apr 15, 2015
United Kingdom
AlanF said:
This grey duck is in flight from me: he stole that biscuit out of my hand when I wasn't watching, just after I took the Lion Rock photo. Being mugged by an NZ duck is no joke when you lose a delicious home made biscuit.
This looks like a female mallard to me. Grey ducks have green wing flash and white stripes above and below the eyes. I am based in U.K. so have not seen a grey duck (the term is used for 3 different species), so I could easily be wrong. Having looked into this some more hybrids of grey duck and mallards are common in NZ, so much that pure grey ducks are in danger of extinction.

Upvote 0
Still a nice trade for a comical photo with a biscuit.
I'd take the trade any day ;D 8).
-r

AlanF said:

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
tarntyke said:
AlanF said:
This looks like a female mallard to me. Grey ducks have green wing flash and white stripes above and below the eyes. I am based in U.K. so have not seen a grey duck (the term is used for 3 different species), so I could easily be wrong. Having looked into this some more hybrids of grey duck and mallards are common in NZ, so much that pure grey ducks are in danger of extinction.

They are indeed all hybrids. This biscuit lover has the leaden grey beak of the grey duck, but the blue speculum and orange legs of a mallard. Here is another in the flock that has more grey features, including sharper eye lines and khaki legs, but the blue speculum.

Attachments

• Greyduck_3Q7A8232_DxO_small.jpg
    Greyduck_3Q7A8232_DxO_small.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 83
Upvote 0
LOL Jack.

From the estuary on the San Diego River, the terns are back for another fish catching season. Here's a Forster's Tern showing off one of the morning's catches.

SDR5208-X2.jpg

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
ERHP, nice low angle, lovely. I did have a first on Friday but no capture - A Bald eagle flew over my house briefly. I know a few hang around the general area but never had a fly over so that was very special. Their numbers obviously are growing but I have no idea what they'd find to eat here.

Jack

Upvote 0
Mikehit said:
Albatross - Kaikoura, NZ.

The sea was much rougher than it looks here, but managed to get one skimming the waves.

Nice shot, Mikehit - you can see the sea must be quite rough; the right wing (tip) is hidden behind the crest of a wave (which by itself is hardly noticeable in the image...) so these waves must be higher than it appears!

Wiebe.

Upvote 0