BIRD IN FLIGHT ONLY -- share your BIF photos here

Jul 29, 2012
Canada
Very nice shot, Joseph.
0057.gif

Upvote 0
Nice shots @Mikehit and Joseph (@beforeEos Camaras)
Lighting conditions when barn owls usually fly are - let's say - challenging. Especially the last one succeeded quite well nonetheless! I like it :)
I had to look twice at the gulls trying to work out which parts belonged to which bird ;)... Luckily I could see it enlarged on the flickr page (y)
Wiebe.

Upvote 0
Cool catching the barnie with prey!

I had a bit of luck yesterday morning with one of our local Belted Kingfisher's. This was fish number two for the morning.
[...]
1DX MK II 600 f/4L IS II w/1.4 III 1/2500 : f/7.1 : ISO 1000

Excellent shot Ed; catching a kingfisher 'in flight' counts (in my opinion) as a top achievement... (y)
And catching it with all that detail in the bird - and great exposure - and a beautiful soft and nicely layered background --- ehhhm that must be "over the top" :p
W.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Cool catching the barnie with prey!

I had a bit of luck yesterday morning with one of our local Belted Kingfisher's. This was fish number two for the morning.

SDR57012_sRGB-X2.jpg

1DX MK II 600 f/4L IS II w/1.4 III 1/2500 : f/7.1 : ISO 1000
Absolutely first class! Was it in mid flight or had it just taken off from a perch?

Upvote 0
Thanks Click, MikeHit, Nat_WA, JimR and AlanF! Just getting to watch the uninterrupted runs on the fish that close was pretty cool.

Absolutely first class! Was it in mid flight or had it just taken off from a perch?

Alan, she had just caught the fish and was heading back to a perch.

Upvote 0
Alan, so the spot she perched was maybe 20' from the edge of the pool she dove in to catch this fish. Unfortunately there are a few small clumps of vegetation that kept me from focusing on her impact spot but I was able to pick up most of her flights just after leaving the water. This was her about 1/3 of the way back to area she usually perches with fish #2 for the morning. Using single point focus so for me sitting in the mud it comes down to how well I can track her flight upwards/downwards.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
No new BIF for 2 weeks, so here are some to keep things moving. Unfortunately, I haven't been travelling with my favourite Canon gear and having being making to do with the bridge camera. I took these on Tuesday in Kuwait: a spotted eagle flying with a bird wing in its beak; a marsh harrier; a curlew; some redshanks; and some flamingos. It was a fun morning.DSC04666-DxO_spottedeagle+preyCR_.jpgDSC04650-DxO_juvenileharrier_flyingCR.jpgDSC04927-DxO_curlewflying_CR.jpgDSC04798-DxO_redshanksflying_CR.jpgDSC04845-DxO_flamingos_takingoffCR.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0