BIRD IN FLIGHT ONLY -- share your BIF photos here

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
+1! @AlanF - with your bridge camera you may not have been able to create the subject isolation by nicely blurred backgrounds, but very nice series nonetheless (y)
W.
Wiebe, the bridge camera's great depth of field is very useful for close ups of dragonflies etc and getting the whole bird in flight in focus!
It's amusing that the photos in Kuwait were taken against a grey sky, mainly pollution, whereas Germany in mid-October had beautiful blue skies.
Alan

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Now I'm reluctant to post my mediocre offerings. Just home base birds in less than ideal lighting but since some folk have noticed my absence it gives me the courage to post.;) The White-crowned sparrow is a transient and a first for me.

Just now checking the full image option it seems the first pic is duplicated ... but how to get rid of it?? Right click doesn't give me "delete" and it doesn't appear duplicated in the list.

JackBend and stretch_37058.JPGChickadee_37137.JPGSweet_37060.JPGWhite-crowned sparrow_37078.JPGI'd like to teach the world to sing_37063.JPG

Attachments

• White-crowned sparrow_37078.JPG
    White-crowned sparrow_37078.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 96
Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2012
Canada
Just now checking the full image option it seems the first pic is duplicated ... but how to get rid of it?? Right click doesn't give me "delete" and it doesn't appear duplicated in the list.

Just click on the picture and use the backspace, it will delete the picture.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jun 11, 2013
+1 (y) - @Vern excellent sharpness and exposure - quite a challenge to get them in frame and in focus with 840mm o_O
W.
Well, you didn't see the 95% that were OOF. Pays to be where you can take lots of pics. The 5DMKIV seems to have a lower keeper rate for me than the 1Dx I, but there are a lot more pixels on the subject when it is in focus.

Upvote 0
Jack,
Good shots! Post anyways.
-r

Now I'm reluctant to post my mediocre offerings. Just home base birds in less than ideal lighting but since some folk have noticed my absence it gives me the courage to post.;) The White-crowned sparrow is a transient and a first for me.

Jack

Upvote 0
Jun 11, 2013
Kingfishers were flying this morning. Didn't get great shots as far as perfect focus goes - b/t me and the 5DMKIV and the erratic flights, only got a few worth working up. 5DMKIV + 600 II +1.4X III, ISO 1250, f 7.1, ~1/2000. I'm never sure whether the image stabilization (mode 3) helps or hurts sharpness at these shutter speeds, turned it off part way through._I4A3191_lores.JPG_I4A3209_lores.JPG_I4A3276_lores.JPG_I4A3258_lores.JPG

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Jun 11, 2013
@Vern - with the speed of those kingfishers it is an achievement by itself to capture them in frame!
The redtail may be easier to track but then they are very nice, well exposed pictures (y)
W.
Thanks Nat_WA - would have been so happy to have the second in that series in focus on the birds instead of the splash from their wings in the water! Try, try again.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
You haven't become befuddled by the latest Canadian legalization? At least the birds are in focus if you are not.

I think most bird photographers get their highs from shooting. Personally, I think it will only lead to more costs to society and more deaths on the highways, which is already very tragic. Perhaps we should send our impaired drivers to Saudi Arabia.;)

Upvote 0