BIRD IN FLIGHT ONLY -- share your BIF photos here

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I think most bird photographers get their highs from shooting. Personally, I think it will only lead to more costs to society and more deaths on the highways, which is already very tragic. Perhaps we should send our impaired drivers to Saudi Arabia.;)
Is it a coincidence that Canadians are disproportionately represented on CR?

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Thanks Click. Nice shots but not great. I think I prefer the second one....

It depends what you are trying to convey. I think the first is technically a better shot. The second needs better wing position/angle etc., say if you had 60 frames/sec., you'd find some were better but we don't have that luxury. On the other hand the first is more commonly obtained I think?? Or not??:confused:

Jack

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Bundu.
Both are excellent shots in my opinion and I would be over the moon to have caught either, to have both, wow!
I actually prefer the second shot, the water spray conveys the force of the impact and the ferocity of the attack.
Could it be better, possibly yes but probably not, I suspect that is a learned position for the wings during the attack so as to minimise risk to the birds wings and feathers, and by the time the wings clear the view of the body the water spray might be substantially reduced?

Cheers, Graham.

Upvote 0
Thank you guys for your kind replies. I have tried every day morning and afternoon to catch African Skimmers feeding but no luck. Out of focus or too late or whatever. The "fish" is actually a fish carcass tossed overboard after fillets were cut out by fisherman for bait. We ourselves were busy Tigerfishing! The eagle coming down to catch it was very unexpected so I just grabbed the camera and fired away. And for some reason, unplanned as it were, all the shots were in focus! Yes, 60fps would have been nice, but 10fps did the job. I agree the first shot technically better but the second more dramatic.
Potluck at its best!

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Alan, don't just post photos; add observations on all aspects of this venture, particularly relative to how you deal with the gear both on and off planes. If you don't mind.:)

I'll soon be having to make similar decisions relative to visiting England and probably then Europe. Also, possibly central and S America and I kind of fear having expensive gear in my possession. ;) My previous travels have typically been North America with truck or motorhome, which is quite different.

Jack

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Alan, don't just post photos; add observations on all aspects of this venture, particularly relative to how you deal with the gear both on and off planes. If you don't mind.:)

I'll soon be having to make similar decisions relative to visiting England and probably then Europe. Also, possibly central and S America and I kind of fear having expensive gear in my possession. ;) My previous travels have typically been North America with truck or motorhome, which is quite different.

Jack
Only occasional internet access over very slow and intermittent lines. Will report back in 2 weeks. Incredible shots so far from 12h a day birding.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0