BIRD IN FLIGHT ONLY -- share your BIF photos here

The short eared Owls are back for the winter at my local patch, and I put together this sequence shot of one hunting. The owl is not visible in the grass in the fifth shot in the series (5DIV + EF600F4MII + 1.4x)

@BobG - Excellent sequence / series! From the second position (from the right) onward you can really see how the owl is focused on a fixed spot on the ground... Did you have the camera 'fixed' on a tripod, or were you moving / panning with it? (Background appears as one - so you can't have moved / shaken a lot between shots :unsure: - that or your PP-skills are way better than mine ;))
Wiebe.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2012
Canada
The short eared Owls are back for the winter at my local patch, and I put together this sequence shot of one hunting. The owl is not visible in the grass in the fifth shot in the series (5DIV + EF600F4MII + 1.4x)

Well done, Bob.
0057.gif

Upvote 0
@BobG - Excellent sequence / series! From the second position (from the right) onward you can really see how the owl is focused on a fixed spot on the ground... Did you have the camera 'fixed' on a tripod, or were you moving / panning with it? (Background appears as one - so you can't have moved / shaken a lot between shots :unsure: - that or your PP-skills are way better than mine ;))
Wiebe.

Wimberley gimbal head on fixed tripod. I was panning between shots keeping the owl as centred as possible

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Hi Alan.
I’m pleased to hear that, what would a photography holiday be without camera gear! ;) Clothes meh!
Have fun, be safe, have fun and I look forwards to your return so I can experience Tanzania vicariously through your images! :oops::)

Cheers, Graham.
Had an incredible guide who took us from dawn to dusk for 14 consecutive days and had three very experienced US birders as company who were far more experienced than me on birds but I was more experienced with the photography. Here are a couple of shots of pied kingfishers in flight. The first is with the 5DSR + 100-400mm II early in the morning and the second in the afternoon with the 1.4xTC attached. There have been some great shots in the thread while I have been away.

3Q7A1419-DxO_pied_kingfisher_inflight_ACR.jpg3Q7A1586-DxO_piedkingfishers_displaying-CR.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Alan.
Lovely shot.
Re mirror slapper, you will be fine all the time you don’t connect them to the computer, once you do they will receive the destruct code “make mirrorslapper fail” and that will be the end of it! :oops: :LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO:

Cheers, Graham.

Well, the stop-gap mistakenly produced 5DSR with the zoom managed to capture the kingfishers in flight. Even the old 5DIV still seems to work and focus, despite being an antique mirror slapper. Here is a yellow-billed kite diving around.

Upvote 0

bjd

Aug 29, 2011
Hi, I just managed to spend a few weeks in or near the "Wattenmeer" National Park (I've heard it called the "Wadden Sea" in English), which
stretched from Holland to Denmark. Well worth a visit, and we will be going back. So I just wanted to post a few of the better shots that I took:
Grey Heron by Diane and Brian Dorling, auf Flickr

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0