BIRD IN FLIGHT ONLY -- share your BIF photos here

bjd

Aug 29, 2011
@AlanF - nice shot; you must be some photographer to be able to produce such a result with your antiquated equipment :p:ROFLMAO:
@bjd - very nice set of pictures; I must agree, the "Waddenzee" (in Dutch ;)) is a great area for birding - especially in the migrating seasons!
W.
Nat_WA, we have been to Lauersoog too, but that was a few weeks earlier. We sat on the Banks of the inland Lake and watched
a flock of birds go past, it took them over an hour to pass us by. Turns out they were all Cormorants. I've never seen that many
at once.
If you have any other tips they would be gratefully accepted.

Thanks everyone for the kind feedback.
Cheers

Upvote 0
Nat_WA, we have been to Lauersoog too, but that was a few weeks earlier. We sat on the Banks of the inland Lake and watched
a flock of birds go past, it took them over an hour to pass us by. Turns out they were all Cormorants. I've never seen that many
at once.
If you have any other tips they would be gratefully accepted.

Thanks everyone for the kind feedback.
Cheers
If you have the opportunity to visit one of the 'Watten Insel' in spring or (better yet) early autumn (late september to mid october, sometimes even to late october) you will have a high probability of seeing lots of different flocks of migratory birds. In the Netherlands, the islands Texel and Ameland offer the best birding locations as they combine the 'safe' dune areas for the birds to rest with relatively large agricultural surface and the shallow waters of the 'Wadden' to feed.
Personally, Terschelling is my favorite island - but I've noticed that it is less favored by the flocks of birds (possibly because it has far less agricultural land)...

I'd guess that some of the German and Danish 'Watten Insel' are also very good places to be / watch birds :) (although I have no personal experience there)
W.

Upvote 0