BIRD IN FLIGHT ONLY -- share your BIF photos here

A Brown Pelican flying. I prefer the second shot.

Agree! Technically they are both excellent, however in the second shot the bird stands out much nicer, somehow colours and contrast are perceived better against the darker background. You don't have another shot by chance where the pelican is just completely in front of the rock, do you... ;) ?
W.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Agree! Technically they are both excellent, however in the second shot the bird stands out much nicer, somehow colours and contrast are perceived better against the darker background. You don't have another shot by chance where the pelican is just completely in front of the rock, do you... ;) ?
W.
Well, you know I always rise to the challenge. Let's start with one flying against the sea, taken with my Sony bridge camera, then follow up with some from the 5DSR + 100-400mm II.

DSC09669-DxO_brown_pelican_flying_small.jpg3Q7A3858-DxO_brown_pelican_flying_against_cliff.jpg3Q7A3869-DxO_brown_pelican_landing_small.jpg

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
And, this one is hidden away in another thread where I was showing how good the 5DSR is for BIF and 5 fps works.

View attachment 187041
This one indeed qualifies for "rising to the challenge"...! Capturing this moment - sharp and well positioned - is showing the hand of the master (y) :cool:
W.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
This one indeed qualifies for "rising to the challenge"...! Capturing this moment - sharp and well positioned - is showing the hand of the master (y) :cool:
W.
Thanks Wiebe. I have to admit that was a very satisfying shot. Unfortunately, I was with a largeish group and hadn't long there otherwise I could have spent the whole day watching the pelicans and boobies.

Upvote 0
Just a shot of a female Belted Kingfisher returning back to the perch after an unsuccessful dive. Some days her success rate is much higher but those are usually the ones where noone comes by on the trail or the raptors/crows decide to stay away.
SDR70031-X3.jpg

1/3200 : f/8 : ISO 1000 @840mm

Reactions: 12 users
Upvote 0

Nelu

1-DX Mark III, EOS R5, EOS R
CR Pro
Just a shot of a female Belted Kingfisher returning back to the perch after an unsuccessful dive. Some days her success rate is much higher but those are usually the ones where noone comes by on the trail or the raptors/crows decide to stay away.
SDR70031-X3.jpg

Wow, one of a kind image!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

theodore.randall

5D Mark IV | 90D
Nov 12, 2019
Hi everyone! I’m new to CR, but have been an avid blog post and forum reader this past year. I finally made an account to post and comment. Here’s one of my very first BIF photographs ever taken this past Friday in Chicagoland. It’s of a Red-tailed Hawk and was shot with the Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L and the newly released EOS 90D (Exposure: ISO 250, f/5.6, 1/2500th). Happy Veteran’s Day to all those who have served and protected our freedom... this capture is for you!IMG_2836.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 10 users
Upvote 0

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
SDR70031-X3.jpg

Great shot!

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Hi everyone! I’m new to CR, but have been an avid blog post and forum reader this past year. I finally made an account to post and comment. Here’s one of my very first BIF photographs ever taken this past Friday in Chicagoland. It’s of a Red-tailed Hawk and was shot with the Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L and the newly released EOS 90D (Exposure: ISO 250, f/5.6, 1/2500th). Happy Veteran’s Day to all those who have served and protected our freedom... this capture is for you!View attachment 187470
Welcome Theodore and thank you for jumping into the ring with a very nice illustrative image.

<sarcasm> But you have clearly mislabeled your picture, everybody here knows it is impossible to take BIF images with Canon’s jittery AF, if you want to take a picture of a bird in flight you MUST use a Nikon or Sony </sarcasm>

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

theodore.randall

5D Mark IV | 90D
Nov 12, 2019
Welcome Theodore and thank you for jumping into the ring with a very nice illustrative image.

<sarcasm> But you have clearly mislabeled your picture, everybody here knows it is impossible to take BIF images with Canon’s jittery AF, if you want to take a picture of a bird in flight you MUST use a Nikon or Sony </sarcasm>
It’s a pleasure to meet you, privatebydesign.Thanks for the warm welcome and good laugh this morning! Somewhere someone is freaking out that I didn’t have dual card slots in this moment... :LOL:

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

theodore.randall

5D Mark IV | 90D
Nov 12, 2019
Bufflehead ducks getting ready to touch down.
The birds were quite far away but crop sensor and higher res of this camera came to rescue.
EOS M6 Mark II, with EF100-400 L II, @400.0 mm, 1/1000 sec, ISO 1000 handheld.
View attachment 187481
Absolutely love the reflections and movement in this photo! Awesome job, bhf3737!!

Upvote 0