Great shot, Joe.
a025.gif

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Beautiful winter's day with the low sun behind me. My shots of cormorants aren't usually exciting, but this is one of the better ones as the black plumage was lit up by the sun and because of the angle of flight.

The Teal is one of the smallest of ducks but really rather pretty. This one also was lit up by the sun. Three sunny days in a row. Back to normal clouds tomorrow.

DSC_2411-DxO_cormorant_flying_CR.jpgDSC_2551-DxO_teal_flying_CR.jpg

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
Beautiful winter's day with the low sun behind me. My shots of cormorants aren't usually exciting, but this is one of the better ones as the black plumage was lit up by the sun and because of the angle of flight.

The Teal is one of the smallest of ducks but really rather pretty. This one also was lit up by the sun. Three sunny days in a row. Back to normal clouds tomorrow.

Nice shots, Alan.
I often prefer the cormorant shots with wings down as it shows off the variation in plumage colour with the earth-colut reds and greens, but for me getting any shot of cormorant in flight is a pleasure.

Upvote 0

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Few from today - still trying to figure out what my camera can do with BIF (and my old lens). Needs practice! I put most of my energy on the red-billed Tropic bird (again visiting the island and there are even some rumors that there are two birds around - last year it was just one!). There was also report that the third species of the Tropic birds (the White-tailed Tropic bird) is flying over the same location but I didn't see it... First photo is of the Red-tailed Tropic bird - funky exposure...

DSC_0985_DxO.jpgDSC_1089_DxO.jpgDSC_0928_DxO.jpg

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Few from today - still trying to figure out what my camera can do with BIF (and my old lens). Needs practice! I put most of my energy on the red-billed Tropic bird (again visiting the island and there are even some rumors that there are two birds around - last year it was just one!). There was also report that the third species of the Tropic birds (the White-tailed Tropic bird) is flying over the same location but I didn't see it... First photo is of the Red-tailed Tropic bird - funky exposure...

View attachment 188337View attachment 188339View attachment 188340
Great! I am so envious I am going to fly over and visit you! All I could get this week was a boring gull flying straight at me but the camera managed to focus in an instant. This shot is the full frame downsized to fit here.

DSC_2676-DxO_gull_in_flight_CMC CR.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

ISv

CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Great! I am so envious I am going to fly over and visit you! All I could get this week was a boring gull flying straight at me but the camera managed to focus in an instant. This shot is the full frame downsized to fit here.

View attachment 188343
Ha, ha: "All I could get this week was a boring gull " - if you are really coming to Hawaii, make sure to take some photos of "boring gulls" where you are. You will miss (at least 99% for sure) to see any gull here:)! The photos I posted are my first Sea Gull on the islands for 18 years (I exclude the few photos of small "gull" taken from 100-130 yards away - last year)!
BTW, I'm going to send you a personal message concerning your visit here, just give me some time (tomorrow probably) since I'm really tired from 2 days hanging on the cliffs to take photos of Tropic birds - there is no shade on that location and it's Hawaii...).

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

ISv

CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
And few from today (Sunday already, I wish it was Saturday again;)). First photo is to illustrate the challenges with the light: when the bird is on sky background you need to make ~+1 -1.7EV correction (I mean for reasonable photos and it doesn't include the situations when the lens is to close the sun point). When it drops to a background from the ocean or the cliffs you MUST make at least ~-1EV correction. And there are transitional areas - where the ocean water is reflecting very strongly the sunlight (the "path" of the sunlight). Every birder knows how fast you have to make your corrections in case of BIF - I'm still learning and honestly I'm not sure one day I will have it (or if it's really possible:unsure:).

DSC_1750_DxO.jpgDSC_1956_DxO.jpgDSC_2272_DxO.jpgDSC_1776_DxO.jpg

Upvote 0