Birdsasart migrates to Nikon

Jul 21, 2010
Mikehit said:
It is quite clear he is blaming himself but finds that Nikon makes it easier. I think ascribing 'cheap shots' to a quite clearly stated reason is really pushing it.
By your reckoning 'I prefer Range Rover for its ability to travel over rough ground and carry the dogs' is a cheap shot aimed at Jeeps.

It's a pelican taking off from a rock. To properly apply your analogy, what he said was 'Many other drivers, more skilled than I, have managed to drive their Jeeps from their house to the grocery store, but I've never been able to do that after driving Jeeps for 20 years. However, 10 minutes after getting behind the wheel of a Range Rover, I was happily at the store buying bread and milk.'

Upvote 0
Dec 17, 2013
One huge reason to switch would be a promise of first-in-line technical support from Nikon for repairs, loaners, pre-release access to lenses and bodies, and so on. He may be named to the Nikon equivalent of EoL in the future. If Canon dropped him as EoL for whatever reason, he would lose the extra-special service he had become used to, and that support could be highly useful when giving workshops.

I agree that the claim that the pelican was a hard shot unobtainable with recent Canon gear is ludicrous. That's a shot I could get with my 60D and EF 400 f/5.6 L no-IS. Planning! And BIF takes continual practice.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
[quote author=Art Morris on Jan 24, 2018]
I tried and failed for decades to create images like this with my Canon gear.

Brown-Pelican-Pacific-race-jumping-off-rock-_DSC3245-La-Jolla-CA.jpg-nggid047418-ngg0dyn-800x0x100-00f0w010c010r110f110r010t010.jpg

This image was created on January 22 at La Jolla, CA with the hand held Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 200-500mm f/5.6E ED VR lens (at 440mm) and the blazingly fast professional digital camera body, the Nikon D5 DSLR camera body with dual XQD slots).
[/quote]

[quote author=Art Morris on Jan 19, 2018]
More on my 1DX II:
There is, however, no denying the killer accurate AF.

Brown-Pelican-Pacifc-race-breeding-plumage-in-flight-_J1I0780-La-Jolla-CA.jpg-nggid047394-ngg0dyn-800x0x100-00f0w010c010r110f110r010t010.jpg

This image was created on Day one of the first San Diego IPT — the morning of Monday, January 15 at La Jolla, CA. I used the hand held Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM lens (at 200mm) and the blazingly fast Canon EOS-1D X Mark II. ISO 800.
[/quote]

So, in 5 days he went from taking sharp pictures of pelicans in flight with the killer accurate AF of a Canon camera, to taking sharp pictures of pelicans in flight with a Nikon camera...after failing for decades to take that sort of picture with Canon cameras.

Sure thing, Artie. That makes perfect sense. ::)

No, ::) is not nearly adequate.

rolleyesbig1.gif

Upvote 0
I suppose it's human nature, but I don't know why people need to be so extreme in their opinions (regarding the guy who switched). I don't trust anyone who raves about products without finding any faults, not just because I feel they are more likely to be (more) biased, but also because they tend to be more likely in my experience to flip their opinion. It reminds me of those people who are very visibly *in love* (in British parlance, 'lovey-dovey'), posting lots of nauseating stuff about how in love they are, how their partner is perfect, etc, and especially how their exes were terrible. You just know that when they break up, they will suddenly have nothing good to say about the person who they previously idolised - both can't be true, and indeed it's most likely neither position is really fair. In this case, the Nikon setup is perfect, whereas before he (apparently?) sung Canon's praises. I'd much rather trust someone who was more equivocal.*

I can quite believe Nikon is better for some things. What I don't quite get is why someone as high profile as this guy can't run two systems - if he believes Nikon is best for BIF but Canon better for other things, why does he need to 'jump ship' wholesale? If I had a few thousand spare pounds or dollars, I'd probably run two or more systems.

*If I'm misrepresenting him, my apologies; I don't know him or his work, rather I'm going by what people here have quoted him as saying.

Valvebounce said:
Hi Folks.
Personally I have trouble taking advice from people who don’t know the difference between advice and advise! ::)

Not quite as bad as confusing a vise for a vice! ;)

(Although I have just discovered that the British English is vice for both, which I am surprised by and undermines my joke :( ).

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Mikehit said:
privatebydesign said:
You asked "Can you tell me where he 'trashed' Canon? Where has he said he was 'wrong'? Please be specific?"

I showed you.

Anybody that can say a Canon camera couldn't take that image with decades of experience is lying. In that one statement he trashed Canon, but he did it in a way it can be claimed he is being humble or non derogatory, put in the context of his experience it is nothing but a cheap shot.

So the part where he said "Do understand that many others, more skilled than I, have made images with their Canon gear." (that quote is above the picture you cut into this thread) didn't register?
It is quite clear he is blaming himself but finds that Nikon makes it easier. I think ascribing 'cheap shots' to a quite clearly stated reason is really pushing it.
By your reckoning 'I prefer Range Rover for its ability to travel over rough ground and carry the dogs' is a cheap shot aimed at Jeeps.

The guy is a pro photographer who makes money teaching in his own workshops! To say he couldn't achieve that shot with a Canon camera in decades of trying, despite evidence to the contrary, is (at best) a cheap shot, no its worse than that, it is dishonest. He is lying.

I don't care if he prefers Nikon or Sony to Canon for whatever reason he might, but to lie about the differences in capabilities given his influence and position in the bird photography genre is an outright betrayal of everything honest and fair.

Upvote 0
Mikehit said:
Refurb7 said:
And he presents the pelican shot as being near impossible for Canon.

No he doesn't.
You can get perfectly sharp portraits at a party with a Canon but some people bought Sony because the eye AF makes it easier. Doesn't mean Canon is a bad camera.

YES he does. Of course he does. You just have to read his blog post.

Let me quote Birdsasart for you:

"The Dramatic Take-off Image
I tried and failed for decades to create images like this with my Canon gear. Do understand that many others, more skilled than I, have made images like this with their Canon gear. With my new Nikon gear I now feel that I at least have a good chance. That gives me more confidence to at least try in difficult or even near-impossible situations."

So he tried and failed FOR DECADES to make images like this pelican shot with Canon. In other words, it was near impossible ... FOR DECADES!!! But now he has "a good chance" with Nikon.

Agan, that pelican taking off from a rock was so darned elusive that Canon couldn't photograph it despite decades of attempts. You buy that nonsense?

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
Refurb7 said:
Mikehit said:
Refurb7 said:

No he doesn't.
You can get perfectly sharp portraits at a party with a Canon but some people bought Sony because the eye AF makes it easier. Doesn't mean Canon is a bad camera.

I tried and failed for decades to create images like this with my Canon gear. Do understand that many others, more skilled than I, have made images like this with their Canon gear. With my new Nikon gear I now feel that I at least have a good chance. That gives me more confidence to at least try in difficult or even near-impossible situations."

So he tried and failed FOR DECADES to make images like this pelican shot with Canon. In other words, it was near impossible ... FOR DECADES!!! But now he has "a good chance" with Nikon.

Agan, that pelican taking off from a rock was so darned elusive that Canon couldn't photograph it despite decades of attempts. You buy that nonsense?
I believe him. There is nothing so rare as a large bird taking off. Canon is doomed because it can not be used to take a picture of a barely moving target.....

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Mikehit said:
Jack Douglas said:
Never the less, I have reason to believe there is some truth to it, and maybe Arash first switched and influenced him.

I just found a bit on Fredmiranda saying Arash seems to be selling his Canon gear as well! That is a surprise given his comments about Nikon tcs - and he uses tcs a lot!

Here it is: http://arihazeghiphotography.com/blog/switch-to-the-dark-side/

I suspect there is a wee bit more in all of this than just the technical aspects of the two systems - just a guess.

Jack

Upvote 0
Jack Douglas said:
Mikehit said:
Jack Douglas said:
Never the less, I have reason to believe there is some truth to it, and maybe Arash first switched and influenced him.

I just found a bit on Fredmiranda saying Arash seems to be selling his Canon gear as well! That is a surprise given his comments about Nikon tcs - and he uses tcs a lot!

Here it is: http://arihazeghiphotography.com/blog/switch-to-the-dark-side/

I suspect there is a wee bit more in all of this than just the technical aspects of the two systems - just a guess.

Jack

With all of the settings to configure the autofocus on a Canon 1DX2, he can only find one that is "unstable" and "nervous"? That's really strange.

Upvote 0
Refurb7 said:
Mikehit said:
Refurb7 said:

No he doesn't.

+1
It sounds like taking a marketing position to me, however caveated he may try to make it. It is one thing to say "I've found the Nikon system gives me a higher keeper rate", and if that is his experience then great, share your opinion and experience.

It feels to me that the way he puts it is to subliminally suggest that 'while really experienced pro's may be able to get this shot with Canon, I couldn't, but if you switch to Nikon then you too will be able to get these shots without needing to be a pro.', which feels more like an inducement.

Upvote 0
Ari Hazeghi and Arthur Morris changing brand should be a big issue at Canon.
Two well-known wildlife photographers who acknowledge the AF superiority Nikon has gained in the last years.
Some already suppose other reasons than technical issues, but I have no reason to think that way.

So let's hope Canon finally realizes that their product lines do not only compete among themselves, but also with other brands. Sadly, even if they did and would like to do something about it, it will take a long time I guess.

Upvote 0
geonix said:
Two well-known wildlife photographers who acknowledge the AF superiority Nikon has gained in the last years.
Some already suppose other reasons than technical issues, but I have no reason to think that way.

So let's hope Canon finally realizes that their product lines do not only compete among themselves, but also with other brands. Sadly, even if they did and would like to do something about it, it will take a long time I guess.

Canon dumped Mr. Morris some time ago, so his changing brands is clearly no "big issue" at all. I don't know about the other guy. The D5 has been out for two years already. If it were significantly better, there would have been a lot more switchers by now.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
geonix said:

The only reason you have no reason is that you haven't been following blogs and picking up the fine points. I started to notice something back when Artie was so annoyed he didn't get a new 1DX2 because of the oil spots and then stated he would just sell it anyway. You or I would never get a new 1DX2 due to spots, maybe a free cleaning.

I have no problem with the Nikon being better, with him switching or any of it and maybe it will in fact catch Canon's attention. I hope so too.

Still, it's just idle gossip that adds a little life to CR and my comments are added in that context because it's Artie's business not mine.

Jack

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Canon Rumors said:
Whenever I've shot birds, and birds in flight, which isn't all that often. I've never had an issue with my keeper rate with the EOS-1D X or EOS-1D X Mark II. I've always thought composition was my biggest issue.

One need only peruse the "Anything shot with a 1DX" thread to view the amazing photos by skilled shooters. No one I know of has concluded the 1DX2 AF is worse than the 1DX, so there you go.

All modern cameras are amazing, with some being better than others in some aspects. So far Artie just claims the AF is the key for him.

Jack

Upvote 0
I don't regularly read Arts blog, but I have watched most of his videos at B&H and found them entertaining and somewhat educational at the time.

I'm willing to give him the benefit of a doubt and take his comments as to why he switched at face value. None of us will really know the full story behind his switch unless they know him personally.

I think it's great that we live in an age when we have many excellent photo equipment options and brands to choose from. My choice is Canon, but I don't have a problem with others making different choices.

neuroanatomist said:
So, in 5 days he went from taking sharp pictures of pelicans in flight with the killer accurate AF of a Canon camera, to taking sharp pictures of pelicans in flight with a Nikon camera...after failing for decades to take that sort of picture with Canon cameras.

Art is certainly guilty of some hyperbole here. The shot of the pelican taking off would be easy to shoot with almost any camera and sufficiently long lens.

neuroanatomist said:
Mikehit said:
People are ascribing motives like 'revenge' and 'payback' because he blogged it. The fact is he makes a lot of income through his bog (including advertising his trips) and on blogs people keep their followers updated on changes in their lives. Big deal.

Exactly – he makes money off his blog. Why is the newest camera, regardless of manufacturer, touted by the likes of Northrup and Rockwell? Because click-though purchases mean income. If that revenue stream has been drying up of late for Morris, pushing his fans/followers to switch from Canon to Nikon could be rather lucrative. Not 'revenge' or 'payback'...

I hadn't thought of that angle, but there certainly could be financial motivation. Hopefully, his switch is driven by an honest need for a system that performs better at what he needs it for and not revenue from click-through purchases...

Upvote 0
Having shot birds in flight for several years with Canon and Nikon gear, to be honest it is a toss up on which I like better for BIF shots. I never had any problems with my Canon gear and thought the autofocus was amazingly great.

Presently I'm shooting a Nikon D850. Last weekend I shot raptors using the Nikon 200-500mm lens and enjoyed many successes. About the same as with the Canon.

Bottom line: shoot what you like, what seems easiest to you, and enjoy the experience. Shooting BIF's is tons of fun!!!!

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
Jeffrey said:
Having shot birds in flight for several years with Canon and Nikon gear, to be honest it is a toss up on which I like better for BIF shots. I never had any problems with my Canon gear and thought the autofocus was amazingly great.

Presently I'm shooting a Nikon D850. Last weekend I shot raptors using the Nikon 200-500mm lens and enjoyed many successes. About the same as with the Canon.

Bottom line: shoot what you like, what seems easiest to you, and enjoy the experience. Shooting BIF's is tons of fun!!!!

Right, exactly. When I first became interested in photographing waterfowl, I owned Minolta Maxxum (film) camera, and developed my own film on Ilford black and white paper in a converted walk-in closet. Then I took pictures of birds with a Nikon, and after that with a Canon.

In my opinion, having sufficient focal length, field skills, light, patience, and learning how the birds behave is 99% of getting a good shot. Of course, there are some absolutely spectacular bird shots, all of which are far beyond my skill level. But none of the awesomeness is attributable to super-duper-awesome sensors.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
99% skill? You missed out luck. Many of my best BIFs have been by sheer luck combined with having in my hand a set up with excellent AF. Here is a good example. I was standing in car park near Halifax NS when a raptor zoomed towards me I swung up my trusty 7DII + 100-400mm II took a series of shots, all perfectly in focus thanks to the Canon camera and lens, and got an osprey with a flounder. As Louis Pasteur would have said if he had been here: "Luck favours the well-prepared photographer". The 100-400mm II on a Canon is an awesome combination for opportunist BIF shots.

Attachments

• Osprey+Flatfish_915A4344_7DII_100-400.jpg
    Osprey+Flatfish_915A4344_7DII_100-400.jpg
    559.8 KB · Views: 228
Upvote 0