Birdsasart migrates to Nikon

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
And ....

he was focusing BIF just nice even with 600mm + 2XIII see:

http://www.birdsasart-blog.com/2016/05/28/individual-birds-in-flight-at-1200mm-not-possible-or-is-it-with-the-1dx-mark-ii/

That time he was trying to make 10$ by selling the Lens Drive When AF Impossible Guide !!!
(As if setting it to False is not mentioned to about tens of sites about AF settings suggestions ;D )

By the way Neuro thanks for the definition. English is not my native language and I used to know the more common meaning - mainly because of the movies - of "mercenary" as a noun.

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
AlanF said:
Who volunteers to spend $10 to find out the secret and publish it here?

It's certainly not the $10; but I would hate to enrich such mercenary, as neuro puts it, duplicity.

tron said:
And ....

http://www.birdsasart-blog.com/2016/05/28/individual-birds-in-flight-at-1200mm-not-possible-or-is-it-with-the-1dx-mark-ii/

That time he was trying to make 10$ by selling the Lens Drive When AF Impossible Guide !!!
(As if setting it to False is not mentioned to about tens of sites about AF settings suggestions ;D )

By the way Neuro thanks for the definition. English is not my native language and I used to know the more common meaning - mainly because of the movies - of "mercenary" as a noun.

lol, that's funny.

I wonder why he puts his AFMA setting on each of those photos. It's not like the +4 AFMA is of value to anyone else... or even himself, if he swaps that lens between his 1DX and 5D4.

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
Talys said:
AlanF said:
Who volunteers to spend $10 to find out the secret and publish it here?

It's certainly not the $10; but I would hate to enrich such mercenary, as neuro puts it, duplicity.

tron said:
And ....

lol, that's funny.

I wonder why he puts his AFMA setting on each of those photos. It's not like the +4 AFMA is of value to anyone else... or even himself, if he swaps that lens between his 1DX and 5D4.
To advertise his: LensAlign MK II incl/FocusTune (only $124.90 ;D ;D ;D )

There is a link to it in that article.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Surely you read that his D5 bit the dust and he has sent it back to B&H, and the Nikon 600 doesn't focus as good as Canon using outer points. Also:

"The Canon 400mm DO II is an incredible tool. I miss mine. Either bare or with the 1.4X TC it makes a great flight lens. With the 2X TC it gives you 800mm of hand held full frame reach.... At this time, Nikon has nothing that compares with the 400 DO II. "

Withdrawal symptoms! I simply could not give up my 400 DO II so Canon have me hooked!

Upvote 0

ethanz

1DX II
CR Pro
Apr 12, 2016
ethanzentz.com
AlanF said:
Surely you read that his D5 bit the dust and he has sent it back to B&H, and the Nikon 600 doesn't focus as good as Canon using outer points. Also:

"The Canon 400mm DO II is an incredible tool. I miss mine. Either bare or with the 1.4X TC it makes a great flight lens. With the 2X TC it gives you 800mm of hand held full frame reach.... At this time, Nikon has nothing that compares with the 400 DO II. "

Withdrawal symptoms! I simply could not give up my 400 DO II so Canon have me hooked!

Wow, I didn't read that. Maybe he shouldn't have fire sold his Canon stuff lol.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
I wonder how many people actually follow these internet critics (making $/click) down these equipment rabbit trails?

My stuff works well for me. It will never matter to me who else uses what. My problem has never ever been the gear. The biggest problems I face is composition / lighting / laziness when shooting. I think talent comes into play more with composition and lighting than gear. Just my opinion. Not going to argue about differing opinions.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Tron's like got me looking back at this thread. What a laugh.

Does anyone have today's perspective on the topic. I left Birds as Art back then and have no desire to return.

And Alan, now without his 400 DO II - that's kind of sad but I personally understand aging very well and how heavy gear gets to be a pain. :)

Jack

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Jack, extract from the OP
Jack Douglas has alerted us to Art Morris switching to Nikon....
The new Nikon D850 and D500 are awesome...
I am not migrating to Nikon if the best lens available is a Tamron 150-600mm or its near-equivalent! My 400mm f/4 DO II has blazingly fast and accurate focus on the 5DIV, as well as being tack sharp corner to corner, and has given me consistently good birds in flight photos. If Nikkor could bring out a similar lens, then maybe I would consider it. By that time, however, Canon should have leapfrogged Nikon. In any case, for shots in good light, the Canon lenses on the 5DSR are difficult to beat for IQ.
A lot has happened since then. Nikon did come out with a similar lens that is as good and 0.8 kg lighter. Sony came out with the 200-600mm, and Art Morris has gone over to Sony. The facts are that none of the C, N and S are produce perfect all round systems for us birders and all three have weaknesses as well as pluses. I need lighter gear and the 1DXIII and 400mm DO II are too heavy for me now. Sony makes the only mirrorless with AF good enough for serious BIF and now the best, but too heavy for me, zoom. Canon makes for me the best lighter zoom, the 100-400mm II, and pretty good prosumer DSLRs. Nikon makes the best prosumer FF and APS-C DSLRs for AF with excellent IQ and fps but only one Nikkor lens I want. I now shoot across makers because of this, and the jury has yet to see the evidence if the R5 and new lenses will fulfil our needs.

This is not a whinge, quite the reverse. I am really happy with the choice of gear and am able to take much better photos now than I could have dreamed about a few years ago.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Jack, extract from the OP

A lot has happened since then. Nikon did come out with a similar lens that is as good and 0.8 kg lighter. Sony came out with the 200-600mm, and Art Morris has gone over to Sony. The facts are that none of the C, N and S are produce perfect all round systems for us birders and all three have weaknesses as well as pluses. I need lighter gear and the 1DXIII and 400mm DO II are too heavy for me now. Sony makes the only mirrorless with AF good enough for serious BIF and now the best, but too heavy for me, zoom. Canon makes for me the best lighter zoom, the 100-400mm II, and pretty good prosumer DSLRs. Nikon makes the best prosumer FF and APS-C DSLRs for AF with excellent IQ and fps but only one Nikkor lens I want. I now shoot across makers because of this, and the jury has yet to see the evidence if the R5 and new lenses will fulfil our needs.

This is not a whinge, quite the reverse. I am really happy with the choice of gear and am able to take much better photos now than I could have dreamed about a few years ago.
Alan, the saying is, if it seems too good to be true ... so yes I too am cautious about the R5 hype but I'm different than you in that the weight isn't my problem yet, it's endurance because of lung issues and relative to gear I've only managed to get up to 20 MPs so I'm guessing the R5 will give me a significant cropping boost if nothing else. I can't justify too much more expense than that. And like you I'm not complaining for the same reason; I'm thrilled to have what I have and have really benefited from 400 X2 with better AF than one would expect out of X2.

Jack

Upvote 0