Black Foam Core Projects

One of my favorite tabletop photography projects involves the use of black foam core board. Subjects such as flowers and my seashell collection look especially nice against the black background. These types of projects celebrate the interplay of light & shadow and make for enjoyable "rainy day" photo sessions.

seashells%20%282%29-M.jpg

fireworksbritton2016-M.jpg

3. additional use of mirror, of course!
brittonbfcsshell2016-M.jpg

brittonflowers2017-M.jpg

newbrittonshells2016-M.jpg

Mar 25, 2011
Good Work. its certainly attractive and impressive.

I have several pieces of black foam core, but found it more difficult to use than black velvet.

My use however, was as a background that was easy to remove from a photo of a product. I have several different colors I can use, I try to pick one that is not in the product, but black or white seem to usually work best.

Upvote 0
Mt Spokane Photography said:
Good Work. its certainly attractive and impressive.

I have several pieces of black foam core, but found it more difficult to use than black velvet.

My use however, was as a background that was easy to remove from a photo of a product. I have several different colors I can use, I try to pick one that is not in the product, but black or white seem to usually work best.
Thanks very much. The black velvet sounds like a great background to work with. I've also used various colored backgrounds, many of which I've purchased at art supply stores. The seashells in particular really seem to "pop" against the black background!

Tony

Upvote 0
chauncey said:
I like the black background as well...how does it look hanging in your living room?
Thanks for looking and commenting. I tend to favor smaller prints in groups of three rather than one large print. 8x10 or 11x14, for example. Most of the walls in my home feature white walls so I think the contrast looks rather nice. I've had many of these seashell images printed on small polished / glossy ceramic tiles and then placed on a stand and displayed in a curio cabinet. They also look fantastic.

Tony

Upvote 0