Black & White

The 3 L's (Lori, Linda and Laura) out a Funston Fort in San Francisco. One of my favorite pastimes, Stranger shooting. I always ask, never candid. I like connecting with people. At this point I have taken over 8k stranger portraits in about 20 years. These 3 had more dogs than I could count and were disappointed that not all of them were dressed in their elf outfits. Unfortunately I was heading to a model shoot so didn't have the time to stick around. Gave them my business card, they came by the studio the next day and they scheduled "family" portraits next week after Christmas.

Happy Holidays !!!

Rolleiflex 2.8f
Ilford Delta 100
HC-110 (Dil. D) 5:15 minutes at 22°c

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
The 3 L's (Lori, Linda and Laura) out a Funston Fort in San Francisco. One of my favorite pastimes, Stranger shooting. I always ask, never candid. I like connecting with people. At this point I have taken over 8k stranger portraits in about 20 years. These 3 had more dogs than I could count and were disappointed that not all of them were dressed in their elf outfits. Unfortunately I was heading to a model shoot so didn't have the time to stick around. Gave them my business card, they came by the studio the next day and they scheduled "family" portraits next week after Christmas.

Happy Holidays !!!

Rolleiflex 2.8f
Ilford Delta 100

Nice picture. They look a bit eccentric. I like dogs but I think that'd be a way over the top for me.

Upvote 0

Happy Holidays !!!

Rolleiflex 2.8f
Ilford Delta 100

I like this shot, David. It's great to be able to connect with people and ask to shoot. That would be tough for me.

Upvote 0
I like this shot, David. It's great to be able to connect with people and ask to shoot. That would be tough for me.

Thanks BD... Hard? Do you mean approaching people? That was the point of the whole exercise about 20 years ago when I took a photography class. Getting out of your comfort zone and connecting with your subjects. I'm not going to lie though, I can still remember the fear of my first stranger portrait. To be honest... that "fear" is still there sometimes but its the main reason I still do it. I love that feeling of unease and then relief when done... and I have a great image. I have meet many great people over the years with this endeavor.

Happy Holidays !!!
David...

Here is one that not a stranger portrait... this is Christine.

Mamiya RZ67 Pro II w/ 210mm APO
Ilford Delta 100

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
Thanks BD... Hard? Do you mean approaching people? That was the point of the whole exercise about 20 years ago when I took a photography class. Getting out of your comfort zone and connecting with your subjects. I'm not going to lie though, I can still remember the fear of my first stranger portrait. To be honest... that "fear" is still there sometimes but its the main reason I still do it. I love that feeling of unease and then relief when done... and I have a great image. I have meet many great people over the years with this endeavor.

Happy Holidays !!!
David...

Here is one that not a stranger portrait... this is Christine.

Mamiya RZ67 Pro II w/ 210mm APO
Ilford Delta 100

Beautiful shot! as are the beach shots of your sons. I really enjoy the film shots but it was nice to see the 5d4 beach shots. As always I look forward to your posts. Today's make me realize I need to get over the coast, I've been so busy with work this year that I missed my regular coastal excursions. I lack the skill and the equipment for portraiture, so I wouldn't even consider asking! Have a great 2019!
Randall

Upvote 0