Blackest material. Paint or, fabric?

Status
Not open for further replies.

samueljay

5D Mk III
Oct 21, 2011
If you're looking for the blackest material ever, it's called Black Fidelio Velvet. it's the stuff they use on pro home theatre screens and it just absorbs any light shone onto it (so you can overspill a projected image and you won't even see it on the black border. See below for a comparison to other 'black' materials in direct sunlight. It might be pricey though!

IMG_1056.jpg

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
JonJT said:
Mt Spokane Photography said:
I like black velvet, it does not reflect light as much as some fabrics.

Do you use just any black velvet you can find?

I buy mine from a Fabric store named Hancock Fabrics. I think they are all over the US. Its very deep black, and very expensive. However, you can signup to have them mail coupons weekly or bi weekly, they often have a 50% off one item coupon. I mostly use white velvet, but have black, white, green, purple, blue, and some other non velvet colors. I use clamps to clamp fabric to some 3/8 stiff construction foam boards which I can store easily. I have two of each, one for a vertical back and one for the work top. I can use two different colors as well.

This one is not velvet, but a example of two different fabrics. I think it was taken with my Nikon CP-990 and a high wattage Tota light about 2001, so the resolution is not up to todays bodies. That was a wonderful camera, and was expensive.

dh-knuckle-gondola-L.jpg

Upvote 0
samueljay said:
If you're looking for the blackest material ever, it's called Black Fidelio Velvet. it's the stuff they use on pro home theatre screens and it just absorbs any light shone onto it (so you can overspill a projected image and you won't even see it on the black border. See below for a comparison to other 'black' materials in direct sunlight. It might be pricey though!

IMG_1056.jpg

wow where can you get that from!?

Upvote 0
I hate to bump up an old topic, but does anyone know where you can buy a backdrop made with "Black Fidelio Velvet"? I'm looking for something at least 10x12 or preferably 10x24. I can't sew well enough to try assembling my own from strips, although I might have a mother-in-law that could help me out if there isn't another option.

Thanks!

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.