Blackmagic Design announces new Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 6K with EF mount

Feb 12, 2014
Love it. Looking forward to seeing how it is. The only gripe I'd have is it would have been cool to see it have the new RF mount instead of the EF. RF lenses are the future and if you wanted to use EF you could take advantage of the Canon adapter with built-in ND.

Using the R mount would require a license from Canon, and Canon is highly unlikely to give a competitor a license to use their IP.

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
Using the R mount would require a license from Canon, and Canon is highly unlikely to give a competitor a license to use their IP.

I'm guessing this EF mount BM 6K camera has been in development for awhile before release...and possibly before the RF mount was announced?

I"m guessing it was best for them to get this out the door now, if nothing else....and I'm sure a RF mount is in the design works for a new release in a couple years maybe.....

It would make sense to wait till RF mount has become more popular and in wide spread usage before releasing one....

Just my $0.02....

C

Upvote 0
Yeah, I understand that could be the case or maybe licensing it from them would have made the camera go outside of BM's budget... just definitely would have been nice.

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
Yeah, I understand that could be the case or maybe licensing it from them would have made the camera go outside of BM's budget... just definitely would have been nice.

I think as soon as RF mount is in more widespread usage, the next cameras will come out with that mount.

RF is still pretty new and not nearly the widespread adoption of the EF mount at present.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Feb 12, 2014
I think as soon as RF mount is in more widespread usage, the next cameras will come out with that mount.

RF is still pretty new and not nearly the widespread adoption of the EF mount at present.

No they will not. Because it is new, Canon will have IP protection on the communication protocols used in mount for many years to come. People can use the EF mount now because it is an old mount dating back to 1987 and any patents protecting it have long since expired.

It is possible that Canon might allow some third party lens manufacturers to produce lenses for the RF cameras in order to create an ecosystem quickly for the cameras, but IMO it is highly unlikely that they will do the reverse. That is the great thing about a new mount system - you get to decide who uses it, how and when. It belongs to you and no one else.

The only RF mounts you are likely to see are dumb mounts (the bayonet but no electronic signals) or something produced in backroom factories without consent in places with weak IP protection, such as China.

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
No they will not. Because it is new, Canon will have IP protection on the communication protocols used in mount for many years to come. People can use the EF mount now because it is an old mount dating back to 1987 and any patents protecting it have long since expired.

It is possible that Canon might allow some third party lens manufacturers to produce lenses for the RF cameras in order to create an ecosystem quickly for the cameras, but IMO it is highly unlikely that they will do the reverse. That is the great thing about a new mount system - you get to decide who uses it, how and when. It belongs to you and no one else.

The only RF mounts you are likely to see are dumb mounts (the bayonet but no electronic signals) or something produced in backroom factories without consent in places with weak IP protection, such as China.

I'm not sure why Canon would not license the new RF mount to other camera body manufacturers.......it would help Canon sell MORE lenses, and help spread RF mount as a standard, much like EF is sort of a standard today.

Seems to make business sense to allow others to use the mount, so that Canon can sell more lenses than just what their camera users need.

Upvote 0