BlackRapid FAIL - grrrrrr

Jul 21, 2010
Bennymiata said:
I really like my Black Rapid, that I bought for $30 at a trade show.
I rarely unhook the carabiner and I've never had a problem with them, although it's a hassle when using a tripod as I have to remove the strap.

Not sure if you use a quick release plate/clamp system? If not, consider the Arca Swiss type – it's as close to 'universal' as you'll find, most the better quality heads use it. I have plates on camera (a convertible L-bracket, actually) and on all lens collars, and a small clamp (Kirk 1") attached to the BR lug. Very secure, and makes it really easy to switch the strap attachment from camera to lens or remove it for tripod/monopod mounting.

Upvote 0
J.R. said:
Sorry for your loss. I keep hearing these horror stories of cameras detaching from BR straps and getting wrecked and wonder many times as to why I keep using them. That said, this has happened to me as well (in a sort of way). Fortunately, I had taken Martin Bailey's advice and the gear was unharmed.

http://www.martinbaileyphotography.com/2011/05/29/podcast-288-camera-straps-and-safety-measures/

Hope the damage on the 70-200 wasn't too severe and you get your lens back soon. They take too much time repairing lenses here in India.

Thanks for the link and info - definitely going to do this !

Upvote 0
I just started using a BR Sport, but when researching it I came across this option for tripod shooters using Arca-Swiss plates:
http://enthusiastphotographer.com/2011/12/20/black-rapid-arca-solution/

I already had one of those little $40 1" Kirk clamps from an old Monopod head and it works like a charm. When I'm using a small lens I clamp to my L-plate, but when I switch to the 100-400 or 180 macro it goes on the tripod foot. Very tight and quick to remove. RRS makes a great little clamp too, but that's more like $60 IIRC.

I added a cheap Opteka safety clip for peace of mind, but it's been very solid so far.

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
Unfortunate - sorry for your loss!

I have to say, in several years of using BR straps (I have a couple of them), I've never had the carabiner locking ring come loose. I did have one camera drop incident, but that was due to an inadvertent press of the lens release with the strap attached to the lens (and that was due to an unbalanced rig with a 2x TC when connected via a FastenR-T1/RC2 plate - switching to Arca plates and a Kirk 1" clamp on the BR strap allows me to balance appropriately).

I had the same thing happen to me once, the camera rolled a few meters over the ground before falling on its back. Thought about securing the body with some extra protection, but thus far I've been too lazy. ps. The 7D in question continued to work, before I replaced it by a 5D3 that had it's shutter fail on me without ever dropping it. :D
I love my black rapid straps, I could not work with the regular neck straps.
Around the neck I walk around like a zombie after a single day, and on the shoulder the cameras always used to slip down.
With the dual strap I have no pain, but a lot of gain, but my wife always reminds me: "those muscles don't count as workout, since you got them from your cameras."

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
jackb said:
The BosStrap is a BR alternative that attaches to the camera strap lugs so it doesn't interfere with mounting the camera on a tripod.

http://bosstrap.com/

Can't see dangling a 1D X + 70-200/2.8 from the strap lug on the body, much less the 600/4L IS II...

I've used a BosStrap for years but I use the BR Connector or a steel split ring to attach it to the camera. Since I don't have a 1DX or a 600/4L, I won't assume what's best for that but my 5D3 + 70-200/2.8L works fine on what I use. And if I become more concerned in certain instances, I basically do the OP/Tech connector thing (like what is pictured elsewhere) as redundant insurance. That works great.

My only major scare was when the 70-200 came unlocked from the body on it's own because the 1.4 TC lock button on the side was inadvertently pushed/disengaged as it hung by my hip. Fortunately I noticed it was loose before it fell off the camera, hit the concrete and rolled into the pool I was standing next to. (Also narrowly missing the approaching steamroller, acid vats and hot lava pits! LOL!)

Now when I use that TC, I always put a piece of gaffer tape across the lock button, lens base, TC and camera when I use that combination to prevent accidental turning or movement if the lock gets pushed.

Upvote 0
wyldeguy said:
I just bought an RS-7 and the caribeener has a locking clip. Not sure if the fastenR has any special locking mechanism besides the rubber bushing (friction lock).

I've never had any problem with the FastenR but then I don't ever remove them either. They go on and stay on. When I put one on, I moisten the rubber and when I tighten it about a 1/4 turn it pretty much locks on forever. I routinely check to confirm they are tight. Are some folks so cheap that they only have one FastenR and they move it from camera to camera? Well, if that's the case, I guess they can expect some failures as the thing wears out and loosens up easily.

In all the years of using these things, I've never had one loosen up on me. How does that happen? I mean, it hangs to the side, it swings up, hangs back to the side, swings up, over and over. Where does all the twisting happen that causes these things to get so loose? I just don't get it I guess.

Upvote 0
Went for a three hour walk with my 5d3, new 70-200 f2.8 IS mk2 attached to a new BR7 curve and my Border Terrier, Watson in tow. Love the BR method of carrying this combo, one hand on the lens for peace of mind most of the time, do not feel the weight compared to the neckstrap ( I have the lens pointed forward, but it often wants to sit to the rear after taking shots, then I adjust it, what would most recommend lens or body in front?) my only concern is on getting back to the car I noticed the lockstar had become open! so this is another weak link! I will be paranoid about using this strap until I implement the safety methods mentioned by others in this post.

Upvote 0
I have the RS 5 for a year now, I like the strap a lot, and no incidents so far, however on my last trip, I had my 600D and the 100-400 attached from the tripod ring, I kept my hands on the lens all the time, as I heard before of incidents that may happen, and kept checking if the screw was getting loose or not, and the carabiner locking ring, which to my surprise was unlocked on multiple occasions, not sure why, was it caused by the heaving motions, or the setup bumbing into me.

So since I now know of the existence of the lockstar I know that I need it, along with the tether kit, also since I only got the RS 5 and not the RS 7 because of local availability, I ordered a RS 7 with full kit, which I hope will the fix the two problems I have with the RS 5, the bulky size at the shoulder, and the tight fit, I am 184cm 140kg, so currently the camera hangs a bit high, plus I need the fastenr for my RC2 tripod head

Upvote 0
Colleagues: I have been a loud partisan of BR straps for a long time. I have though had two scary separations of lens from body (one caused damage; one was a near-miss), neither of which was due to BR strap problems. I am convinced the separations are due to unintended release of the lens lock from the camera; and I would urge Canon to make a secondary lock that prevents such unintended releases. However, I have rigged a bit of shock cord while carrying my 70-200 attached either to the 5D3 or 1Dx. It takes a bit of time to make such a cord (2 bowlines on a short cord); and it impedes rapid lens changes; but gravity is an implacable and unforgiving enemy of photo gear.

Attachments

• safety line.jpg
    safety line.jpg
    432.9 KB · Views: 274
Upvote 0
That's great johnrudoff.

As I said further up the thread, the same thing has happened to me but it was because of the release lever on the TC I was using. So I put a piece of gaffer tape across the Lens+TC+Body to prevent it from rotating if the lever is pressed. This is a bit easier than the bowline idea but you could also implement what another poster linked to which was to use a OP/TECH release between the two items. That would make things go faster and still give you the connection you desire.

Thanks for sharing and good luck with your future photography!

Upvote 0
RustyTheGeek said:
In all the years of using these things, I've never had one loosen up on me. How does that happen? I mean, it hangs to the side, it swings up, hangs back to the side, swings up, over and over. Where does all the twisting happen that causes these things to get so loose? I just don't get it I guess.

In my case I was removing it when I needed to put the tripod mount on. I've since gone to a manfrotto mount with the custom fastenR and that stays on forever but I was always leery that I was going to loosen the bolt by continuing to swap between the mounts.

Upvote 0
Colleagues: I have been a loud partisan of BR straps for a long time. I have though had two scary separations of lens from body (one caused damage; one was a near-miss), neither of which was due to BR strap problems. I am convinced the separations are due to unintended release of the lens lock from the camera; and I would urge Canon to make a secondary lock that prevents such unintended releases. However, I have rigged a bit of shock cord while carrying my 70-200 attached either to the 5D3 or 1Dx. It takes a bit of time to make such a cord (2 bowlines on a short cord); and it impedes rapid lens changes; but gravity is an implacable and unforgiving enemy of photo gear.

I think the link below offers an ergonomic modification over tying a cord between the L bracket and the carabiner. You use a $ 6 Optech connector to do the job. Makes removal a snap (pun not intended). Also, I would say the connection to the carabiner should be in the fixed rectangular portion rather than the teardrop shaped portion which will open up if the carabiner lock comes open. I also use a piece of gaffer's tape (as in the video) in lieu of lockstaR to keep the carabiner lock from coming open.
I have been using it since I saw the post and it has been working out very well.

http://enthusiastphotographer.com/2011/12/20/black-rapid-arca-solution/

Here's a video describing the process.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O10I4D5VaFE

Attachments

• br_fix.jpg
    br_fix.jpg
    788 KB · Views: 322
Upvote 0
well.. I hoped it would never happen, but it did twice in a row, on the last trip I had my 70-200 f/2.8 IS II with the 2x TC II attached to my 5D3, I had the black-rapid screw connected to the tripod leg and the tether to the camera, twice for no reason the 70-200 detached from the 2x TC, I immediately felt the change in weight, but in both cases I would have been too slow to catch it.

Upvote 0

MARKOE PHOTOE

Photography is a love affair with life.
Yes, it just happened to me today; dropped my 5DS-R with new 100-400 attached on a concrete floor. It fell about four feet and bounced a few times before resting on the top of the prizm. Luckily no apparent damage. Hood took the brunt of the force and the RRS L plate got scuffed.
It's time to either look into the Lockstar or something else.

Upvote 0