Blood Moon Eclipse Show Photos Here

Mar 25, 2011
NorbR said:
tomscott said:
How were you focusing?

What I did was basically frame the shot in the centre but to the left so when I got the tripod sorted etc I would wait for the moon to move into the centre of the frame. I set the focus at infinity to set my framing, then use live view to make fine adjustments at 10x view with the image stabilisation on to steady the viewfinder, then turned it off 10 second shutter release to ensure the camera was still then it took the shot.

Same thing, essentially, Live View at 10x for the fine adjustments. I've done it several times for the non-eclipsed moon and it works like a charm. I just didn't realize how much harder it would be on the eclipsed moon (which in hindsight should have been obvious, I know). I couldn't make those fine adjustments so easily, the whole thing was too noisy in Live View (by the way, is it just an impression, or is the 5D3 bad at this? I feel like my 6D gave a clearer view ...)

Live view was extremely noisy for me, but considering that I could barely make out the moon, it worked well enough for 5X, but no detail at 10X.

I had my tripod on a wooden deck with a 8 second shutter delay.
Even so. I think there was some vibration, the movement of the moon was much more significant.

Upvote 0

tomscott

Photographer & Graphic Designer
It was harder than usual but not impossible just have to find a higher contrast area. I was do zooming in on the very bottom area where there was still a tiny crest of light. Hard but not impossible. I could also see the impact site which I was also using to focus maybe it was a bit brighter here in the UK

Upvote 0

kaswindell

Trying to be as good as my gear
Apr 13, 2013
Temple, NH
Visit site
Mt Spokane Photography said:
neuroanatomist said:
As seen from the Boston area through a 1200mm lens, at the time of maximum eclipse.

"Blood Moon"

EOS 1D X, EF 600mm f/4L IS II + EF 2x III Extender, 0.5 s, f/8, ISO 6400

Nice. Your exposure was a lot different than mine, I had to use 2 sec at ISO 6400. I think we had some high clouds moving in, but I could not see any in the photo. Not many stars were showing, and the moon was dimmer than expected.

Of course, we were much earlier here(7:47 PM), so it had just managed to get reasonably dark.

His turned out much nicer, but he used the same exposure that I did, (1600/1s/5.6 vs. 6400/0.5s/8) and I am just North of Boston, so it was probably the atmospheric conditions where you were.

Upvote 0

kaswindell

Trying to be as good as my gear
Apr 13, 2013
Temple, NH
Visit site
9VIII said:
tomscott said:
Valvebounce said:
Hi Folks.
Yet more very interesting and excellent shots. I just heard on local radio that it has been 30yrs since a blood moon was visible from my area, I hope I didn't pass up the opportunity to see one for another 30yrs, if I had realised the timings my customers may have got a very tired person turn up!

Cheers, Graham.

Next opportunity to get the two phenomena's together will be 2033 so another 18 years.

Hopefully by then we all have pocket sized 800mm DOMkII lenses.

I just let my center point autofocus do all the work. Oddly enough contrast detect in live view did not like the circumstances. I guess I never thought to fine tune with manual focus in live view because the phase detect sensor didn't stop working... If you focused on the edge of the moon, focusing on the middle didn't work once it got dark.

Same here - set the center point on high accuracy, switched to mf after focusing, but rechecked every now and then and always got confirmation.

Upvote 0
My feeble try, cropped a little bit @ Winnipeg, Canada

6D + 70-300 F4 - 5.6 IS USM
F5.6, 1.3s, ISO 1600

21153630163_605d43d7c1_k.jpg

Upvote 0
My attempt attached. I got lazy, and just used Canon gear, not my astro gear which would have required a lot more setup than I can be bothered with at that time of night!

7D2, Sigma 120-300 f/2.8 EX OS HSM + Sigma 1.4x teleconverter for 420mm f/4, 1s, ISO800. Static mount. Image cropped. Processed only in DxO 10.

With hindsight I could have tried turning up the ISO some more. I had left it on 800 from earlier shots where I was trying to keep the dynamic range of a partially eclipsed moon.

Got more shots I haven't played with yet for some stacking potential. This pic was quickly processed at the time so I had something to stick on social media before bed time :)

Attachments

• 7C6A5055_1024.jpg
    7C6A5055_1024.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 242
Upvote 0
Mt Spokane Photography said:
Tim Durkan regularly captures great photos of the moon and of eclipses.

This is one of his great ones.

https://www.facebook.com/KOMONews?fref=nf

Tim's a fun guy, shoots Nikon though. Have done coffee a few times, and can state he's not living the high life on 7 million image views for this one alone.

https://twitter.com/ScottSKOMO/status/648543884889321472

CQAXEKZVEAAfvcp.jpg:large

Upvote 0