Bokehlicious – The Sigma 135mm F1.8 DG HSM | Art Series Lens Review by MPEX

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
The folks at Midwest Photo Exchange have published a <a href="https://mpex-experience.com/2017/04/05/bokehlicious-the-sigma-135mm-f1-8-dg-hsm-art-series-lens/">review of the yet-to-be-released Sigma 135mm f/1.8 DG Art series lens</a> and they came away extremely impressed</p>
<p>Here are some of the highlights from the review written by Tim Neumann.</p>
<p><strong>Autofocus</strong></p>
<blockquote><p>I found the autofocus system to not only be accurate, but surprisingly fast, with pretty quick focus acquisition, even in less than ideal contrast situations. The surprise really settled in when I realized that it is pretty consistently beating the focusing speed of my 85mm f/1.2, that’s my normal street shooting lens. A lot of times, street shooting requires, quick stealthy shooting, so that you can catch that decisive moment exhibited by your subjects. As a back button focuser, I really appreciated the ability to quickly acquire focus, lock it in, and move the camera into the desired position for the shot.</p></blockquote>
<p><strong>Image Quality</strong></p>
<blockquote><p>Sigma’s 135mm f/1.8 Art Series lens features two SLD (Super Low Dispersion) glass elements and two FLD (Fluorite Low Dispersion) glass elements. The purpose of these glass elements is to help minimize chromatic aberrations, especially in out of focus areas, within portraits, that capture bokeh, or in slender objects and fine tree branches. The net effect is to provide a lens that results in high resolution, sharply focused images, throughout the entire aperture range of the lens.</p></blockquote>
<p><strong>Summary</strong></p>
<blockquote><p>Well you have probably figured out by now I like this lens and really, image wise, what’s not to like? The results I am seeing, represent their original scenes well, hold details in shadows nicely, provide lifelike colors with pleasing warm tones and the bokeh, well not much more can be said about that. For portrait style images and narrower field of view images, this lens is a strong tool to have in the kit. So strong in fact, my order has been placed. <a href="https://mpex-experience.com/2017/04/05/bokehlicious-the-sigma-135mm-f1-8-dg-hsm-art-series-lens/">Read the complete review at MPEX.</a></p></blockquote>
<p><strong><a href="https://mpex.com/sigma-135mm-f1-8-dg-hsm-art-lens-canon.html?acc=3"> Preorder the Sigma 135mm f/1.8 DG Art Series Lens at MPEX</a></strong></p>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>

infared

Kodak Brownie!
Jul 19, 2011
Jesse said:
"The surprise really settled in when I realized that it is pretty consistently beating the focusing speed of my 85mm f/1.2"

How is that a surprise ::)

LOL!!!!! I have to agree....
I have the 85mm f/1.2L II....I love LOVE that lens for its smooth...SMOOTH bokeh...it is other-worldly. I can live with the CA...because there is magic in that lens....except the focus is so sloooooooooow....
I will keep my 85mm..but from what I can see the Sigma is focusing fast.
Check it out here.. it looks pretty fast: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9D7EXSlojXA
I would agree that the MPEXreview is filled with silly comments...but that does not mean that this is not a great lens.
I am considering getting this new Sigma lens, even though the bokeh is "somewhat" more harsh than my 85mm (little more busy, or contrasty..or something...still nice tho.),..it does have a lot of pluses going for it..and it will be a definite if I need fast focus in that general focal range.... I think its a winner. :p

Upvote 0

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
tianxiaozhang said:
Jesse said:
"The surprise really settled in when I realized that it is pretty consistently beating the focusing speed of my 85mm f/1.2"

Is there a lens slower than the 85L?

Yes, the first 85L and the 50 f/1.0L :)

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
1) Anyone who is impressed with something that beats the 85L for focusing speed has pretty low standards. (That's not a quick focusing lens at all.)

2) Zero comment on AF consistency, which is Sigma's #1 problem with a bullet.

3) Pre-market access to a lens + statements like "So strong in fact, my order has been placed" = the reviewer has failed. You had one job, dude: tell me how it performs. The minute you become a schill for a manufacturer, I lose respect for you. If this review ends up in a Sigma publication / advert / website, I will consider this review a commissioned affair and I'll promptly disregard future work from them.

4) The beard 100% crop doesn't show the sharp focal plane he was referring to -- at all. Either the lens is soft (really doubt it), the AF whiffed (possible) or he shot wide open and the beard wasn't in the working DOF (my guess).

5) Who in the hell shoots street with howitzer-sized lenses like this?!

I welcome this lens coming to market and I welcome this guy's perspective (I really do), but I'll wait for the usual suspects (Carnathan, Dustin Abbott, Roger Cicala, LT, PZ, etc.) to do their thing.

- A

Upvote 0

Pixel

CR Pro
Sep 6, 2011
The Sig 135 AF isn't all that fast. I saw it yesterday. Sharpness was excellent tho.

ahsanford said:
1) Anyone who is impressed with something that beats the 85L for focusing speed has pretty low standards. (That's not a quick focusing lens at all.)

2) Zero comment on AF consistency, which is Sigma's #1 problem with a bullet.

3) Pre-market access to a lens + statements like "So strong in fact, my order has been placed" = the reviewer has failed. You had one job, dude: tell me how it performs. The minute you become a schill for a manufacturer, I lose respect for you. If this review ends up in a Sigma publication / advert / website, I will consider this review a commissioned affair and I'll promptly disregard future work from them.

4) The beard 100% crop doesn't show the sharp focal plane he was referring to -- at all. Either the lens is soft (really doubt it), the AF whiffed (possible) or he shot wide open and the beard wasn't in the working DOF (my guess).

5) Who in the hell shoots street with howitzer-sized lenses like this?!

I welcome this lens coming to market and I welcome this guy's perspective (I really do), but I'll wait for the usual suspects (Carnathan, Dustin Abbott, Roger Cicala, LT, PZ, etc.) to do their thing.

- A

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
some very relevant photos can be found here:

_blog.sigmaphoto.com/sigma-135mm-f1-8-dg-art-first-look/

and here:

_blog.sigmaphoto.com/2017/sigma-135mm-f1-8-dg-hsm-art-first-impressions/

P.S. I am personally not quite convinced with the bokeh being absolutely "creamy" with this lens - to my taste, but I am keen to evaluate my options at this stage.

Upvote 0

infared

Kodak Brownie!
Jul 19, 2011
Pixel said:
The Sig 135 AF isn't all that fast. I saw it yesterday. Sharpness was excellent though.

Gordon Lang at Camera Labs says that the Sigma 135mm ART focuses faster that the Sigma 85mm ART and the Nikon 105 mm f/1.4E .... so I am guessing...it is not the fastest focusing lens in a lens quiver, but not a tortoise, either. That is a LOT of glass to move.
Gordon also say the AF is 96.7% accurate via FoCal.

Upvote 0

FramerMCB

Canon 40D & 7D
CR Pro
Sep 9, 2014
infared said:
Jesse said:

LOL!!!!! I have to agree....
I have the 85mm f/1.2L II....I love LOVE that lens for its smooth...SMOOTH bokeh...it is other-worldly. I can live with the CA...because there is magic in that lens....except the focus is so sloooooooooow....
I will keep my 85mm..but from what I can see the Sigma is focusing fast.
Check it out here.. it looks pretty fast: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9D7EXSlojXA
I would agree that the MPEXreview is filled with silly comments...but that does not mean that this is not a great lens.
I am considering getting this new Sigma lens, even though the bokeh is "somewhat" more harsh than my 85mm (little more busy, or contrasty..or something...still nice tho.),..it does have a lot of pluses going for it..and it will be a definite if I need fast focus in that general focal range.... I think its a winner. :p

Check out the image gallery for this new Sigma at DPReview...
https://www.dpreview.com/sample-galleries/0773928388/sigma-135mm-f1-8-art-sample-gallery

Pretty impressive results. If I had $1400USD laying around, I'd be all over this. Of course, one can buy the previous version of the Zeiss 135mm f2.0 for a great price right now from B&H because of the introduction of the new Zeiss 135mm 2.0 Milvus. You have to like MANUAL FOCUS though. Every review that I've ever read of that lens though, claims it is an amazing lens to use, focus throw/fine tuning is awesome, and the optics are second-to-none.

Upvote 0

FramerMCB

Canon 40D & 7D
CR Pro
Sep 9, 2014
SecureGSM said:
some very relevant photos can be found here:

_blog.sigmaphoto.com/sigma-135mm-f1-8-dg-art-first-look/

and here:

_blog.sigmaphoto.com/2017/sigma-135mm-f1-8-dg-hsm-art-first-impressions/

P.S. I am personally not quite convinced with the bokeh being absolutely "creamy" with this lens - to my taste, but I am keen to evaluate my options at this stage.

As I've posted already, DPReview also has an image gallery for the Sigma 135mm f1.8.
https://www.dpreview.com/sample-galleries/0773928388/sigma-135mm-f1-8-art-sample-gallery

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
ExodistPhotography said:
Who is MPEX? Their photos look amateur just like their blog..

In fairness, it looks like what every first-use / early hands-on gallery looks like at DPR, Phoblographer, SLRL, etc. -- a photographer was given an hour or two to shoot with a lens and then return it to the company. Those shots are always a little underwhelming.

There's a reason why waiting for proper reviews is better. Like... a jillion reasons.

- A

Upvote 0
Sep 29, 2012
for me..
I want a LensTip review ..then Roger Cicola tear-down...

then USE IT for a while...
(and that is JUST for that particular copy)

//////

looks good......
I am on the list..

and if Canon has a better unit soon...especially with I.S.
I am... in... for that...

my 135 f2L had a little of the look of the 200 f2.....
but not as clean...
but...nice stuff
and NOW.......
we have so much quality to choose from these days

Sigma / Tamron... pushes it all..... IMO

/////
I wont hold my breath for I.S. on a 135 f ~2.0
I suppose when I am on my death bed... my JetPack will ...ship from Amazon....
I ordered Candy-Apple Red...

grandson will ride it.........

Upvote 0