Both Canon and Nikon are in deep trouble after financial reports.

Status
Not open for further replies.
In addition to what I mentioned above, I also have concern for the reliability of the godox product line. The lights I eventually bought have fairly sophisticated cooling. Despite pushing more power through massive capacitor banks far more frequently than the elinchrom lights they replaced, they run much cooler (to the touch) and quieter. While I’ve not analyzed their bills of material, my prejudice, informed by a career in electronics development, is that the godox is likely to use cheaper components (consumer grade vs industrial grade, with lower allowable theta JC), and suffer a lower MTTF. Naturally I can not prove it, but the quality of the godox products I’ve handled left me wanting.

I've owned Godox since the original AD360 was released and own almost every single one iteration of their strobe. They hold up to me dropping them (AD600, AD400Pro, V860 II, except AD200). They held up great for weddings, destination wedding, destination engagement etc.

With the money I've saved, I can probably afford to replace them easily if accident happens. I can afford to buy Profoto if I want to but why when it does the job just like Canon "L" lens vs Sigma Art etc.

I guess I've come to realized with photography, the best stuff doesn't always translate in the final images so I look for the best value and invest my money elsewhere. The only reason why I upgrade my camera body is because it make things very easy, open up more creative opportunities and it's tax deductible (IBIS, eyeAF, dual card slot, better dynamic range, high ISO performance).

Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012
I guess I've come to realized with photography, the best stuff doesn't always translate in the final images so I look for the best value and invest my money elsewhere.

Yes, 100% agree.

I’m glad your lights have held up for you. I’ve tried looking through their website but comparing models is difficult? Can you suggest one which does what my D2s do (up to 20 pops per second)? I’d be curious about trying it out.

Upvote 0
I don’t care about leading sales that include all cameras. How are they doing in pink Hello Kitty branded cameras?

I get that you only care about what’s important to you personally, but try to at least grasp the fact that you live in a larger world than the one existing between your ears.

This is a
I don’t care about leading sales that include all cameras. How are they doing in pink Hello Kitty branded cameras?

I get that you only care about what’s important to you personally, but try to at least grasp the fact that you live in a larger world than the one existing between your ears.

This is enthusiast photography website and I would imagine most people are interested in more than the basic Canon rebel series or your Hello Kitty camera. If that's your thing, so be it.

If anyone seriously invest in their new mount, they are going to need to show professional EOS R.

You really need to chill. It's only a camera. Have a nice day!

Upvote 0
I imagine it’s too soon to draw any conclusions. They’re a newcomer, entering at the same time as another newcomer. Both Canon and Nikon show capture growth, but it will take time to stabilize.

With the dwindling sale of photography, it might be hard for both Canon and Nikon to regain their dominance in FF mirror less market like they did back in the DSLR days.

There isn't a lot of pent up demand for Canon & Nikon FF mirrorless and I doubt those expensive RF lens really attract new photographers into the new ecosystem or EOS R. Many photographers including me also look to other manufacturers that can fill those needs. I doubt Canon will have combination of features and competitive pricing to lure people back or attract new photographers.

There are alot more quality and affordable competitions in the FF market, APSC, and lens choices nowaday compared to the yester years that won't cripple their camera (24p, 4K, dual card slot). I'm interested to see what Canon will do in the future, but I'm not optimistic about them like you are. If the looming recession does happen, I suspect many companies will slow down their development cycle and people will hold onto their camera longer or looking for the best deals.

Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012
I'm interested to see what Canon will do in the future, but I'm not optimistic about them like you are.
I don’t think I expressed optimism or pessimism.

I an hopeful that canon, and its competitors, will remain viable. But what each one does in particular I don’t concern myself with. I own camera equipment for multiple brands, and will probably continue to into the future and I don’t emotionally invest in companies.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
This is enthusiast photography website and I would imagine most people are interested in more than the basic Canon rebel series or your Hello Kitty camera. If that's your thing, so be it.
Yes, most people here are interested in higher level gear. This forum doesn’t represent the majority of camera buyers, far from it.

My ‘thing’, as you put it, is correcting ridiculous claims and outright false information. Such as:
...Canon should be top of sale charts. They aren't because...

You then used the intellectually dishonest but regrettably common forum tactic of moving the goalposts after being called on your misinformation. “Well, I didn’t mean the whole market, only the FF MILC market.” Weak.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
You can see if it can be adapted on other camera via adapter. Otherwise stay with Canon.

11-24 F4? There are other alternative such as Sigma 12-24 F4, Sigma 14-24, Tamron 15-30 2.8.

The best landscape photographers I've admire and images I've seen aren't even shot with those lenses. I'm not missing out much when I can do vertical or horizonal panorama for the rare time I need it.
Your point was that everyone makes a zoom trinity and they’re all pretty interchangeable, but that Canon doesn’t make the specialized 105/1.4 that you enjoy. I merely pointed out that Canon also makes specialized lenses that no one else makes, that I enjoy using.

I could have pointed out that the 135/2L is close, or that the 200/2 would give much better subject isolation and better bokeh than your 105/1.4.

Incidentally, I don’t shoot landscapes much with the 11-24 or TS-E 17, I shoot architecture primarily. Also, none of the lenses you mention are 11mm, and none could substitute in any possible way for the movements of a tilt/shift lens.

Upvote 0
Your point was that everyone makes a zoom trinity and they’re all pretty interchangeable, but that Canon doesn’t make the specialized 105/1.4 that you enjoy. I merely pointed out that Canon also makes specialized lenses that no one else makes, that I enjoy using.

I could have pointed out that the 135/2L is close, or that the 200/2 would give much better subject isolation and better bokeh than your 105/1.4.

Incidentally, I don’t shoot landscapes much with the 11-24 or TS-E 17, I shoot architecture primarily. Also, none of the lenses you mention are 11mm, and none could substitute in any possible way for the movements of a tilt/shift lens.

If Canon make a lens that you enjoy and can't live without it and also can't be adapted, by all mean use stick with it. Enjoy it. I am just saying there are alternative options for photographers who aren't too particular about certain lens and that's why people are choosing Sigma, Tamron, Panasonic, Sony, Nikon etc. We have a lot of great options and that's great for consumers.

200 F2 is a great lens but I don't find it practical to carry around and I am fine with slightly less subject isolation. It's a compromise I am willing to make.

I have no problem using alternative options instead buying the best equipment money can buy (11-24 F4, Profoto gears like someone mentioned) and still deliver great images for my clients. I doubt my clients will noticed the differences nor other photographers. The only thing that matter is the final result.

Upvote 0
Aug 9, 2016
I wrote several posts, but so many morons backfired at me. I have over 50+ years of experience in photography. Now, I have solid proof here.

Both Nikon and Canon made ill-fated decisions to focus on the mirrorless system. They were failures with a lot of technical problems in both bodies and lenses. They stopped to sell Nikon and Canon DSLR along with both F and EF lenses. They want to channel their money into the mirrorless system development. They lost a lot of money and laid off so many innocent employees into the street. Thousands of professional photographers were not happy toward both Nikon and Canon included myself which I stopped buy new products for my work.

Both Canon and Nikon are in deep financial trouble and may lead end of the business by the bankrupt. This due to flipped by upper management people included CEO.

The mirrorless camera system was never a reliable hardware design. Error in hardware caused a lot of trouble-prone. The engineers decided to design new models instead of correct hardware design with current cameras and lenses. I do not know if they can resolve the entire situation, I hate to say, it seems to me it was DONE.

your "solid proof" is another opinion? ok then.

what a waist of reading time

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
your "solid proof" is another opinion? ok then.

what a waist of reading time
Meanwhile, Elon Musk is selling Sony cameras to the Martians. It's just the beginning of a plan to take Sony interstellar with their stellar product line.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.