Breaking down the latest Canon gear to appear for certification

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
This past week we saw an updated list of new and unreleased Canon gear that has appeared for certifications with various agencies around the globe. As always, the gear in question uses code names and not the regular naming conventions Canon uses. We spoke with some people over the weekend and think we know what most of the new gear is going to be.

Canon DSLRs
The DSLRs are the hardest to figure out at the moment, as there is going to be some changes in how the lineup looks in 2019. While we hope to see a Canon EOS 7D Mark III, we haven’t heard anything that we’d consider reliable. If we go by the certification list below, there is a 32mp DSLR coming that we think is the Canon EOS 80D replacement and not the Canon EOS 7D Mark III. We think that a 32mp sensor would be too much for the speedy APS-C line of cameras. We could be wrong, but the EOS 7D was 18mp and the EOS 7D Mark II...

Continue reading...

jolyonralph

Game Boy Camera
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com
It would be odd for the 5D class mirrorless to have a 6d Mark II size sensor and the 6D class to have a 5D Mark IV sensor :)

It makes sense if the "EOS Rx" is a more video-oriented camera, but I think it more likely based on resolution and time difference that this will be the 6D class camera and priced less than the EOS R

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
It would be odd for the 5D class mirrorless to have a 6d Mark II size sensor and the 6D class to have a 5D Mark IV sensor :)

It makes sense if the "EOS Rx" is a more video-oriented camera, but I think it more likely based on resolution and time difference that this will be the 6D class camera and priced less than the EOS R

The resolution doesn't matter in the Canon lineup when it comes to tiers, the Rebels, 80D and 1DX for example.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland

It makes sense if higher fps is the goal. But hopefully it won't be the same sensor as in the 6D2 or the internet is going to collapse into a black hole of rage :D

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
EC 811 // Canon EOS M6 Mark II
  • 24mp (approx)
Canon is probably going to milk that 24Mpix crop sensor architecture for a while. But I'd expect somewhat improved fps in return, beyond the slight improvement seen in the M50.
K437 // Canon EOS 90D (80D replacement)
  • 32mp
I thought this might be plausible as well, but that would be an unprecedented resolution for an APS-C sensor. I don't think there are crop sensors exceeding 24MP currently generally available. Personally I'd prefer improved fps over improved resolution in a 80D successor.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Architect1776

Defining the poetics of space through Architecture
Aug 18, 2017
Williamsport, PA

I personally would like to see a less expensive FF R series camera. Provide a range a good quality FF R cameras and take the definition from enthusiast to regular consumer level in price. Sort of like Canon had the TX, FTb, EF and F-1. 5 levels of FF R cameras would be great. Lowest does not have FF 4K but has it as consumers would reject it otherwise. The FTb could be the current R then a 5D R with 50mp at 12 fps and FF 4K then a 5dsr at 8 fps an 70 mp sensor and downgraded 4K video, then the pro sport 1dx MII replacement at 36 mp and 24 fps and real serious 4K at FF and all the possible bells and whistles similar to the F-1 system that pretty much lacked for nothing. They gave you all the options available with that body.
Then an APSC line with the R like the 7D series being the 1dx apsc equivalent, finally the R equivalent to the XXD SL and Rebel as canon wishes to do one of each or so.

Upvote 0
What about the upgrade to the 1DX Mkii then?
Don’t need to get to the 1DX level this quickly, but getting to a tracking servo AF speed of 6 to 8 FPS begins to get the sports/ action crowd interested. I think this is where the Rx is headed. Add a second memory slot to this and they probably have me hooked.

Upvote 0

It definitely is. I don't expect 26 mpx FF mirrorless camera to be entry FF line - 6D. Just look at the Canon 1DXII and Sony A9.

I can definitely see Canon give enough features for FF mirrorless to make compelling (FPS, dual card slot), but provide more features to FF DSLR (5DV?) at different time and price points.

Upvote 0
No info on replacements for the 6D2 and 5D4? Disappointing... the 6D2 was obsolete when it came out.
Perhaps the 6D2 was disappointing when it came out, but many consumers are not well informed on nitty gritty details and make their decision mostly on price. So I don’t see a replacement soon.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
I only mention it to question if there's any possibility that these specs might change. They're just the specs for test bodies, right? Not finalized specs?
They can change, but then, the camera has to be retested and relisted for certification. Sensor changes are rare at that point in the development, because it changes a lot more than just the sensor.

Upvote 0