Bride: Extreme Closeup

This bride had stunning eyes. I had tried to get shots of them all morning but hadn't gotten anything I was super excited about. Then, after the ceremony, while everyone was decompressing I was looking for great light. I often just walk around looking at light/shadow. I noticed a person come out of the church and realized that all I could see behind them was blackness because the church was so dark. Then I though if I had the bride just stand on the threshold of the door - her eyes would have great catch-lights and there would be 'nothing' behind her.

This shot has ZERO PHOTOSHOP. I have adjusted the light/color/balance in Lightroom of course, but I did not want to take away from the raw realness of the photo. It's very striking I think.

After I took several images of the bride I was wondering how I could really celebrate her beautiful eyes. We tried a couple things using her hand on her face to frame her eyes, but then once we used the bouquet I knew we'd found the shot. The crop at the forehead and the flowers at the nose make the image all about the eyes.

Shot on Canon EOS 6D
f/4.5
1/1600 sec
ISO-320
50mm f/1.4

Thanks for looking. I am a chicago wedding photographer.

Attachments

• columbia club indianapolis wedding photography (27) bride eyes.jpg
    columbia club indianapolis wedding photography (27) bride eyes.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 596

DominoDude

Certified photon catcher
Feb 7, 2013
::1
It's a killer shot!
Everything is right in the photo. (And the rest of your photos are equally stunning - you are truly onto a great concept with your work.) *hats off*

One thing had me wonder while I looked at the entire series from that wedding: There's a slight haze, and a turquoise tint that I notice. Is that tint a deliberate matching of a colour tone from the brides maids dresses?

Upvote 0
DominoDude said:
It's a killer shot!
Everything is right in the photo. (And the rest of your photos are equally stunning - you are truly onto a great concept with your work.) *hats off*
One thing had me wonder while I looked at the entire series from that wedding: There's a slight haze, and a turquoise tint that I notice. Is that tint a deliberate matching of a colour tone from the brides maids dresses?
The coloring we do is unique to each wedding. I wish I could say that the tone was inspired by the brides maid dresses but I'm not that clever. The coloring is really about the emotion/day/feeling/temperature ect...

We've done winter engagement sessions : cold : http://www.pabstphoto.com/fashion-inspired-engagement-session/

and 100 degree outdoor, farm : http://www.pabstphoto.com/outdoor-farm-wedding-diy/

I've always tried to get my photography to capture feeling/emotion of the day, and coloring is just one more tool to help tell that story. It's not for everyone - and I get that. I also try not to 'push coloring too far'.

Upvote 0

DominoDude

Certified photon catcher
Feb 7, 2013
::1
jepabst said:
DominoDude said:
It's a killer shot!
The coloring we do is unique to each wedding. I wish I could say that the tone was inspired by the brides maid dresses but I'm not that clever. The coloring is really about the emotion/day/feeling/temperature ect...

We've done winter engagement sessions : cold : http://www.pabstphoto.com/fashion-inspired-engagement-session/

and 100 degree outdoor, farm : http://www.pabstphoto.com/outdoor-farm-wedding-diy/

I've always tried to get my photography to capture feeling/emotion of the day, and coloring is just one more tool to help tell that story. It's not for everyone - and I get that. I also try not to 'push coloring too far'.

Good good. I asked out of curiosity.
I like it (admittedly not after just looking at 1 photo, but in the long run it's a winning concept for me), and it makes them stand out from others shooting.

Upvote 0
I think it's a great shot with great creativity on your part for composition.

The only comments I would make (and none are necessary because the image is OK as-is) would be to try processing it with several variations:
1- Slightly brighter with background dark as-is.
2- Enhanced eyes. That is, get in on those eyes and make them razor sharp and bright blue (or green, whatever they are.)

Upvote 0