Bride, Overcast, Cold, Natural Light

Another bride to share from 2014 - it was about 35 degrees, we were all freezing in Indianapolis. The bride liked these bronze doors, we jumped out of the trolley and snapped some shots. It was completely overcast with no visible directional light. Normally I would add light in a situation like this, but it was so cold it was hard to operate (and did I mention it was extremely windy as well.)

more Wedding Photography by Pabst Photo

Shot all natural light - no reflector.

Canon 6D
1/500sec
ISO-100
50mm f/1.4 @f/1.4

Attachments

• pabst photo wedding bride.jpg
    pabst photo wedding bride.jpg
    244.3 KB · Views: 411
  • josh pabst photo 2.jpg
    josh pabst photo 2.jpg
    528.8 KB · Views: 421
Mar 1, 2012
jepabst said:
.... The bride liked these bronze doors....

Canon 6D
1/500sec
ISO-100
50mm f/1.4 @f/1.4
If she liked the doors enough to halt the trolley, why did you blur them?
With the settings you've posted there was plenty of shutter speed headroom to stop down significantly while still staying with ISO 100 handheld, plus, with a 6D you could have bumped the ISO a bit, stopped down even further.

Isn't the object of paid work to please the client rather than showing off what our gear can do or what we can do with our gear?

I do like the shots quite a bit. Bride is gorgeous and well lit. I just think you missed the client's desires here.

Upvote 0
These shots are at the war memorial; we didn't stop explicitly for the doors, but rest assured, there are some shots at f/8.0 that get the doors and detail, but I don't think they are as successful. I know the bride liked the shots I shared here - she made them her profile pics at one time or another on Facebook. The warm/rust/bronze tones were great against the light skin and white dress - as opposed to the limestone walls surrounding them. Happy client.

Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
I really like the second shot; the 50 has given a bokeh that almost looks like a slow shutter + zoom effect. Emphasises the bride.

Just a word of caution. Posting images like that shot on the 50 / 1.4 wide open at f1.4 will make you unpopular with the must-have 50/1.2 or Sigma 1.4 brigade ;)

Upvote 0
Sporgon said:
Just a word of caution. Posting images like that shot on the 50 / 1.4 wide open at f1.4 will make you unpopular with the must-have 50/1.2 or Sigma 1.4 brigade ;)
Haha, you're probably right.
I've been shooting for a long time and I can say with a high degree of certainty that I will never own the 50mm 1.2

So many places I'd rather put that money.

Upvote 0