Bug caused the focus limiter switch on my RF 50mm 1.2 to act like the AF/MF switch

Nov 12, 2016
Three days ago I noticed a little bit of a bug with my RF 50mm 1.2 lens. When using it on an EOS R with firmware 1.4, it got into a weird mode where the focus limiter switch acted like the AF/MF switch. Intermittently, with the AF/MF switch set to AF the whole time, the lens would go into manual focus mode when the focus limiter switch was moved to the limited focus range, and it would go into auto focus mode when the limiter switch was set to "full."

Weird bug. It only acted like this for a minute, and hasn't happened since. Just putting it out there in case anyone else has run into it.

And before anyone asks, yes, I didn't mix up the two switches. When I initially noticed the camera had gone into manual focus mode, I looked at the side of the lens and was really surprised to see the switch still in the AF mode. But, I usually keep the limiter switch set to full, and I think at some point I had accidentally flipped it to the limited mode, so I flipped it back to full, and that's when I noticed that the lens went back into autofocus mode.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
In my experience with the R, there is a great deal of handshaking going on between lens and body. Much more than the 5DIV. There are glitches, plain and simple. I wouldn't rule out issues with contacts, but I'm seeing enough fleeting problems to know that a whole lot of CPU activity is happening, which explains why simply shutting down and restarting clears things up. Like a reboot.

So many have happened over the past two months, but none lasting, that I just see it as part of owning this first FF mirrorless effort by Canon. Freeze-ups. AF just taking time to warm up or rest. Brief but irritating exposure issues within the EVF. One purple line in a studio shot that might have had something to do with my PC Buff trigger in the hotshoe (or not).

But let me put this in context. I use this camera heavily now, more than I have any other camera since my first digital dSLR, the 20D, when everything seemed new and fresh with photography. Plus I'm restarting a portrait business that had been on hold while I was daddy-daycare for almost five years. So I'm all excited about photography again, and this camera came along just at the right time.

When CanonFanboy started gushing about his, I rolled my eyes. Then I got an R so I could use the rf 50mm f/1.2L. Now I understand. For portraits, nothing I've tried comes close. It's amazing.

In short, I'm putting a lot of flight-time on it each week, so a few flickerings of the cabin lights, some odd buzzes and rattles now and then...No problem! So far, nothing that would cause a plane crash.

Just one photographer's perspective.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
In my experience with the R, there is a great deal of handshaking going on between lens and body. Much more than the 5DIV. There are glitches, plain and simple. I wouldn't rule out issues with contacts, but I'm seeing enough fleeting problems to know that a whole lot of CPU activity is happening, which explains why simply shutting down and restarting clears things up. Like a reboot.

So many have happened over the past two months, but none lasting, that I just see it as part of owning this first FF mirrorless effort by Canon. Freeze-ups. AF just taking time to warm up or rest. Brief but irritating exposure issues within the EVF. One purple line in a studio shot that might have had something to do with my PC Buff trigger in the hotshoe (or not).

But let me put this in context. I use this camera heavily now, more than I have any other camera since my first digital dSLR, the 20D, when everything seemed new and fresh with photography. Plus I'm restarting a portrait business that had been on hold while I was daddy-daycare for almost five years. So I'm all excited about photography again, and this camera came along just at the right time.

When CanonFanboy started gushing about his, I rolled my eyes. Then I got an R so I could use the rf 50mm f/1.2L. Now I understand. For portraits, nothing I've tried comes close. It's amazing.

In short, I'm putting a lot of flight-time on it each week, so a few flickerings of the cabin lights, some odd buzzes and rattles now and then...No problem! So far, nothing that would cause a plane crash.

Just one photographer's perspective.
I'd be suspicious that something is wrong, if you continue getting errors. I've never had even one error with my R in over a year. Intermittent things are difficult to pin down, so complain to Canon while its still in warranty, it might be the lens if it only happened with the one lens.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
...From everything I've seen here, the R is usuable for a lot of things (including things it has been denounced as absolutely useless for), but portraits are where it (and its lens selection) absolutely shine.

I'd probably have already made the jump, at least to an RP, if I did a lot of portraits. As it is I'm waiting to see what the next generation of R series cameras brings.

Upvote 0