Buy M50 now or wait?

Jul 28, 2015
I doubt the new camera, whenever it appears, will be in a completely different price bracket so I very much doubt it will affect the price of the M50.

Why do you want to buy a M50 and are those reasons urgent enough to wait until after Canon's announcement? The new camera will likely be minimum 2,000 USD (probably more than that) - if you are not willing to spend that then you may as well buy the M50?

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I doubt the new camera, whenever it appears, will be in a completely different price bracket so I very much doubt it will affect the price of the M50.

Why do you want to buy a M50 and are those reasons urgent enough to wait until after Canon's announcement? The new camera will likely be minimum 2,000 USD (probably more than that) - if you are not willing to spend that then you may as well buy the M50?

Thanks for your fast replay Mikehit.
I'm thinking bout M50 for youtube videos maaaybe some vlogs, b-rolls, timelapses.
And for stills some street photography, travel and portraits.
You think I should consider different camera in that price range?

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
It's an entry level camera but with a good amount of features that are very useful. It is probably the best of Canon's mirrorless lineup at a relatively low price, so it might not depreciate as heavily as the earlier, less refined ones.

It really depends if the lens lineup is good enough for you. If you don't already have Canon lenses then it is debatable if the Canon EF adapter is worth getting, but a 50/1.8 STM could be useful for portraits. The 11-22mm is excellent for vlogging and the 22mm f2 STM is probably the other one that is worth getting the most, because of the fast aperture, although it does not have image stabilisation for video.

Or if you want to spend the least amount, then the kit lens is adequate.

Upvote 0
It's an entry level camera but with a good amount of features that are very useful. It is probably the best of Canon's mirrorless lineup at a relatively low price, so it might not depreciate as heavily as the earlier, less refined ones.

Thanks for that, gets me closer to buying it :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Prices typically drop in the October-December months, so if you don't actually need a camera, watch the prices, set what you would pay, and buy if it reaches that number.

Its grossly overpriced right now, it should be ~$500. A SL-2 will outperform it and has a $549 MSRP, but goes on sale for $500.

The FF bodies we are expecting will be more like $4,000.

Upvote 0