Buy RF 85 in Nashville?

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Hi guys!

I’m trying to find a camera store in Nashville that carries the RF85, anyone a bit closer than across the globe that can point me in the righ direction?

I tried Dury’s and BestBuy, but I couldn’t find it in either of them.

Thanks!
Since I spent many years in Tennessee I called around Nashville and nobody has that lens. Surprise! One store actually suggested B&H out of NY. Sorry for that. At least B&H or Adorama would next day air it. Hope this doesn't put you in a bind.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
Since I spent many years in Tennessee I called around Nashville and nobody has that lens. Surprise! One store actually suggested B&H out of NY. Sorry for that. At least B&H or Adorama would next day air it. Hope this doesn't put you in a bind.
Thank you so much for going out your way to help (y)(y) that saved me a lot of time. Much appreciated.

Guess I’ll just spend the extra 600 dollars and get it here, sigh... I already couldn’t afford it at the US price, lol :p

Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Thank you so much for going out your way to help (y)(y) that saved me a lot of time. Much appreciated.

Guess I’ll just spend the extra 600 dollars and get it here, sigh... I already couldn’t afford it at the US price, lol :p
Might be worth a ticket to NY. ;)

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Are you visiting Nashville? Staying at a hotel? You could contact Adorama or B&H and have them ship it to the hotel. Be sure and call the hotel and let them know to expect the shipment and ask to hold for you. Best Buy would ship to a local store, but I checked and they are listing the lens as sold out online.

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
Are you visiting Nashville? Staying at a hotel? You could contact Adorama or B&H and have them ship it to the hotel. Be sure and call the hotel and let them know to expect the shipment and ask to hold for you. Best Buy would ship to a local store, but I checked and they are listing the lens as sold out online.
My brother is going to Nashville, and I had thought about the shipping from BH, but a few things makes that difficult. Perhaps it’s just a sign I shouldn’t get it now, maybe postpone it for another 6 months and maybe there’s a Black Friday sale or SOME discount to it further along.

The RF50 is currently 20% off in some places now, that is a lot of cash on the RF85, $750 here to be exact..

Thanks again guys (y)

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
My brother is going to Nashville, and I had thought about the shipping from BH, but a few things makes that difficult. Perhaps it’s just a sign I shouldn’t get it now, maybe postpone it for another 6 months and maybe there’s a Black Friday sale or SOME discount to it further along.
[..]
I know the feeling :) I've been told that "before the end of the year" I'll have to visit the US office, which serves as a nice damper on my GAS. I really, really, really hope the high MP R will be available before that.

Upvote 0

The RF50 is currently 20% off in some places now, that is a lot of cash on the RF85, $750 here to be exact..

Thanks again guys (y)
Viggo,

For what it is worth, in the past I have had B&H ship a lens to a hotel for me, and the hotel then held it until I arrived (I arranged delivery a few days early, to ensure it was there when I arrived, as I was only there one night). It "cost" me a tip to the hotel concierge to hold for me, as well as a few calls in advance, but well worth the saving over European pricing.

I've also had Adorama ship a big white to a business address of a friend, who then accepted delivery and then held on until I passed through - that one cost me a good dinner - but again, well worth it ;). Might you/your brother know anyone in Nashville who would accept delivery for you?

Good luck, Stoical.

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
Viggo,

For what it is worth, in the past I have had B&H ship a lens to a hotel for me, and the hotel then held it until I arrived (I arranged delivery a few days early, to ensure it was there when I arrived, as I was only there one night). It "cost" me a tip to the hotel concierge to hold for me, as well as a few calls in advance, but well worth the saving over European pricing.

I've also had Adorama ship a big white to a business address of a friend, who then accepted delivery and then held on until I passed through - that one cost me a good dinner - but again, well worth it ;). Might you/your brother know anyone in Nashville who would accept delivery for you?

Good luck, Stoical.
Thanks for chiming in ! Much appreciated.

I think that I’ll just wait now, yes it is a lot cheaper in the US, but if I buy it here I can have it repaired for free for. 5 years and not just one, and I can’t reeeaaally afford it with the US price now either, I just thought I should use the opportunity when my brother was over there. I was in NY two weeks ago, but didn’t have time to visit. BH. He’ll be back :cool:

Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
I'm surprised that a camera store would not order it in for you. Canon usually ships 2nd day to camera stores. Of course, Canon may be out of stock. Our local store doesn't stock pro level cameras and lenses, but I've emailed them and the item was there in 2 days.
The stores in Nashville (Drury's is the biggest) have zero RF lenses even listed on their website. They didn't even offer to order when I called for Viggo. All the mom and pop's are gone. There are still a couple of little shops here in the DFW area, but I have no idea how they are staying in business. There are never any customers when I have visited. I mean zero customers. Online shopping has killed most of them off. The last good camera store (brick and morter) I have seen was in Las Vegas. Shipping to the hotel is a good idea from Adorama or B&H. It seems even Wolf/Ritz have gone completely online. Every single store they used to have in the middle Tennessee area have had their phones disconnected.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
I can understand that, because it’s a vicious circle where they can’t afford to keep all they should in stock, which ends up with customers going in and coming out with nothing because it wasn’t available. Then they sell less and it keeps going around and around.

I visited a store in the same chain I used to work, only in Sweden not Norway, and they had cleared out ALL gear and only had printing and products like mugs, t-shirts, key rings etc.

Only gear they had where four memory cards and two rolls of film behind the counter.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
I can understand that, because it’s a vicious circle where they can’t afford to keep all they should in stock, which ends up with customers going in and coming out with nothing because it wasn’t available. Then they sell less and it keeps going around and around.

I visited a store in the same chain I used to work, only in Sweden not Norway, and they had cleared out ALL gear and only had printing and products like mugs, t-shirts, key rings etc.

Only gear they had where four memory cards and two rolls of film behind the counter.
Add to that: In the United States Adorama and B&H don't charge sales tax and offer free shipping (sometimes next day) on high dollar items. There is no way a traditional brick and mortar store can compete. They all mostly misjudged the impact of the internet back in the 1990's. So, in a way, it's their own fault for not being forward thinking. Famous last words of new technology losers: "We've never done it that way before."

Upvote 0

unfocused

Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Add to that: In the United States Adorama and B&H don't charge sales tax...

Actually, both B&H and Adorama now collect (stores don't charge sales tax, state's do. Stores only collect it on their behalf. You still owe the tax) sales taxes in most states and as states align their laws with the Supreme Court ruling on the issue, more states will be added. B&H does offer a tax rebate if you buy using their credit program.

...but...the general point of your post is well-taken.

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
Add to that: In the United States Adorama and B&H don't charge sales tax and offer free shipping (sometimes next day) on high dollar items. There is no way a traditional brick and mortar store can compete. They all mostly misjudged the impact of the internet back in the 1990's. So, in a way, it's their own fault for not being forward thinking. Famous last words of new technology losers: "We've never done it that way before."
Huh? No sales tax? I’ve heard they don’t add the NY tax when shipping outside, but they’ve started to add the tax in the state that it ships to instead?

Or are you saying that buying the RF 85 and shipping it to Nashville will be exactly 2700 USD?

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
Actually, both B&H and Adorama now collect (stores don't charge sales tax, state's do. Stores only collect it on their behalf. You still owe the tax) sales taxes in most states and as states align their laws with the Supreme Court ruling on the issue, more states will be added. B&H does offer a tax rebate if you buy using their credit program.
And there my bubble bursts :LOL::p

Upvote 0

unfocused

Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
And there my bubble bursts :LOL::p
Sorry.

The irony is that as a non-resident of the state, you really wouldn't owe the tax. But I suspect that would open up a whole can of worms. (Export duties and all that). You could buy grey market since the warranty wouldn't do you any good anyway, but I'm not sure I'd trust a grey market dealer on a purchase of this size.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
One more thought. LensRentals.com is in Cordova, Tenn (Near Memphis). You could contact them about their "keeper program" where you rent a lens and they credit the rental against buying the lens. They do have the 85mm RF lens in stock.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Huh? No sales tax? I’ve heard they don’t add the NY tax when shipping outside, but they’ve started to add the tax in the state that it ships to instead?

Or are you saying that buying the RF 85 and shipping it to Nashville will be exactly 2700 USD?
Yup! Exactly! Order online from Nashville, ship to Nashville... no sales tax. Saves you big bucks.

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
Sorry.

The irony is that as a non-resident of the state, you really wouldn't owe the tax. But I suspect that would open up a whole can of worms. (Export duties and all that). You could buy grey market since the warranty wouldn't do you any good anyway, but I'm not sure I'd trust a grey market dealer on a purchase of this size.
No worries, I like facts :D

Yeah, I was thinking that perhaps the 5 year warranty is worth the price I would pay here.

The store I usually buy from ordered ONE 85 and they still have it in stock, that means I’m not the only one who thinks the price is too high this time.

Upvote 0