Buy RF 85 in Nashville?

Dec 13, 2010
One more thought. LensRentals.com is in Cordova, Tenn (Near Memphis). You could contact them about their "keeper program" where you rent a lens and they credit the rental against buying the lens. They do have the 85mm RF lens in stock.
I actually looked around at the LensRental site and thought it was rental only, but if it’s possible to buy, that’s quite interesting , thanks!

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
One more thought. LensRentals.com is in Cordova, Tenn (Near Memphis). You could contact them about their "keeper program" where you rent a lens and they credit the rental against buying the lens. They do have the 85mm RF lens in stock.
Yeah, but that's about 194 miles drive each way. Adorama or B&H would get it there quicker, I think.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
No worries, I like facts :D

Yeah, I was thinking that perhaps the 5 year warranty is worth the price I would pay here.

The store I usually buy from ordered ONE 85 and they still have it in stock, that means I’m not the only one who thinks the price is too high this time.
Yeah, but he'd be bringing it back from vacation. They have no idea where he bought it. I'm all for sticking it to the man. You get taxed on income, then sales, then import duties, then VAT. Screw all that. Nobody has the moral authority to confiscate that much from anybody. Legal authority? Sure. But it is still morally repugnant. BTW: Lensrentals also has a satellite store in Brentwood (Nashville). It's about 11 miles south on I-65 of the Nashville city center. However, if you buy from a Tennessee business, you will pay sales tax. https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2013/09/lensrentals-is-coming-to-nashville/

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Thanks!

Yeah, I’m also supposed to declare it and pay the 25% tax we have here, that ain’t gonna happen either :p Be could get pulled over in customs, and then I would have to pay 25% on the retail price here and it would be a VERY expensive lens, but hopefully that all goes okay.
I recently sold a very rare Super-Takumar prototype lens to a man in the Netherlands. Big $$$$. Anyway, I insured for $50 and included a postcard from Texas asking him to please put this "gift" to good use as I don't need it anymore and thought he might like it. No problems with duties, tax, or VAT.

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
I recently sold a very rare Super-Takumar prototype lens to a man in the Netherlands. Big $$$$. Anyway, I insured for $50 and included a postcard from Texas asking him to please put this "gift" to good use as I don't need it anymore and thought he might like it. No problems with duties, tax, or VAT.
That works for low cost items here, I always buy off of eBay that way. But companies won’t write it as gift and they are way to eager to catch that type of purchases here :LOL:

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
Hi guys!

I’m trying to find a camera store in Nashville that carries the RF85, anyone a bit closer than across the globe that can point me in the righ direction?

I tried Dury’s and BestBuy, but I couldn’t find it in either of them.

Thanks!

Why not buy online like B&H or Adorama?

You can get it free shipping and no sales tax.....

HTH,

C

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
Actually, both B&H and Adorama now collect (stores don't charge sales tax, state's do. Stores only collect it on their behalf. You still owe the tax) sales taxes in most states and as states align their laws with the Supreme Court ruling on the issue, more states will be added. B&H does offer a tax rebate if you buy using their credit program.

...but...the general point of your post is well-taken.

Really? I've yet to have them add/collect sales tax on any of my purchases from them recently....

C

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Really? I've yet to have them add/collect sales tax on any of my purchases from them recently....

C

There are a number of states that have not yet changed their statutes to take advantage of the Supreme Court ruling. Give it time.

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
According to their website, this lens is not a part of their "keeper program"... at least yet.

Upvote 0
Huh? No sales tax? I’ve heard they don’t add the NY tax when shipping outside, but they’ve started to add the tax in the state that it ships to instead?

Or are you saying that buying the RF 85 and shipping it to Nashville will be exactly 2700 USD?
B&H now collects sales tax for 23 of the 50 states but I don't beleive Tennesee is one of those 23 so there shouldn't be any tax. I live in Pennsylvania and they never collect any tax from me. So yes $2700 if you can get them to ship it to you somewhere.

edit: Sorry, didn't see the last post. Guess you worked it out. Good luck.

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
B&H now collects sales tax for 23 of the 50 states but I don't beleive Tennesee is one of those 23 so there shouldn't be any tax. I live in Pennsylvania and they never collect any tax from me. So yes $2700 if you can get them to ship it to you somewhere.

edit: Sorry, didn't see the last post. Guess you worked it out. Good luck.
Thanks for chiming in any way, and you were absolutely right, BH didn’t collect sales tax and it was one day saver shipping for free so I saved $1000:D

Upvote 0
Thanks for chiming in any way, and you were absolutely right, BH didn’t collect sales tax and it was one day saver shipping for free so I saved $1000:D
Glad it worked out. B&H is great. The EOS R gear is starting to look like it will be the dream kit for wedding, portrait and event shooters.

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
Glad it worked out. B&H is great. The EOS R gear is starting to look like it will be the dream kit for wedding, portrait and event shooters.
My brother in-law to be is getting married in late August so I will actually be able to try it for a wedding really soon. They’ve paid a photographer so my task is be a guest and get drunk and shoot some speeches and party shots.

Upvote 0
My brother in-law to be is getting married in late August so I will actually be able to try it for a wedding really soon. They’ve paid a photographer so my task is be a guest and get drunk and shoot some speeches and party shots.
Sounds like the perfect wedding gig to me. Enjoy!

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands

I hadn't considered that before, but it would make a nice use-case for IBIS: try to tilt the sensor to keep it level after passing the tipsy mark :)

• Haha
Upvote 0