Buying a Camera

ions said:
The 7D makes itself a good landscape camera simply for the weather sealing. A MASSIVELY important issue in landscape photography. Mine has been in pouring rain and blizzards. It has better sealing than the 5D does I believe... not positive on that. It's also far more customizable than the 5D or the Rebels, XXD series cameras etc. Plus it has a much more rugged build that can be relied upon than the Rebels/XXD series cameras which is also important when shooting landscape. Yeah, I take care of my gear but it's nice to know my gear can take care of itself.

I agree, weather sealing is important and can be VERY reassuring to have in the field. The 7D certainly is rugged; when I looked at store models they all seemed impressively solid (my 5D creaks a bit near the LCD when I grip it tight). To my knowledge, the 7D and 5D mkII have very similar weather sealing (with the exception of the optional grip for the 5D mkII, which apparently has problems in the rain) and both are vastly more protected than my 5D classic. That being said, and despite having operated frequently in the snow (there was roughly 25 feet of snow each winter where I went to school) I've never been in a situation where I was seriously worried about precipitation trashing my equipment. The situation was either so bad it would trash even a pro body like a 1D or D3 series camera or something flimsy like a Rebel/XXXD would survive. One must also consider that unless one also has lenses with weather seals too they will still be open to compromise...

That being said, the only time I've really been worried for my camera was either slipping in a stream and being completely submersed (the camera is toast no matter what you do) or being sprayed by saltwater. As a cheap "insurance" I keep a plastic bag with my camera so I can protect it if I suddenly am stuck in a rainstorm. I haven't needed it yet, but it is a reassuring thing to keep around.

Perhaps I've just been lucky, but lousy weather has yet to harm my relatively poorly weather sealed equipment. I'm sure those who have had problems will be much more paranoid.

ions said:
I disagree with you about the need for AF in Landscape. The 7D, and the Rebels, XXD do not come with good focus screens for manual. If you're as blind as I am and have difficulty jamming your glasses wearing face into the viewfinder, especially when trying to get real low to the ground, having an autofocus you can trust is priceless. On my recent trip to Yellowstone the AF on my 24-70 went wonky and I had to shoot manual. Because of the above situation I have a couple of shots that are softer than they should be. In the bright sun they looked ok from the back screen, which, on the 7D is quite superior to the 5Ds(just sayin), but when I got them home, a little off. And when you want an AF system you can trust the 7D is really really hard to beat once you're learned it. Although, I do concede it's not crucial that it's fantastic for landscape.

We can agree to disagree on AF then, in the context of landscape. When I do use autofocus, it is the single center point (the only good one) and then I recompose. For portraits focus shift would cause issues, but for landscape at f/8 or f/11 no problems are caused. Unless you are moving the focus points around constantly, the camera is probably just going to pick whatever spot has the most contrast in your scene, which may or may not be what you as the photographer actually want for the focus point. Regardless of how capable a camera's autofocus may be, it still is not clairvoyant and as such can never be fully trusted.

I have glasses too. Yes, it sucks for photography, particularly when they (or the viewfinder) fogs up. The advantage of the 5D in this respect is that the viewfinder is pretty darn big, so even if you cannot get as close with glasses, you can still work effectively. I'd guess the 5D viewfinder is twice the size as the Rebel/XXXD pentamirror viewfinders...now those are impossible to work with.

I think the biggest manual focusing problem with Canon is that the lenses are designed for autofocus first, with manual focus as a low priority. I've yet to find a autofocusing Canon lens that I like for manual focus work as the focus rings are so [list several languages worth of obscenities] imprecise. The lack of a hard infinity stop makes manual focus landscape work way harder than it needs to be.

I really miss having a tilt/pivot screen like my first camera (a Canon point-n-shoot S3 IS), that thing was downright handy for tripod work. The 60D/T3i/600D win points in the tripod-ease-of-use category. I suppose it would further your argument by telling you that my mountain shot was a composition/focus guess.

The Mountain by posthumus_cake (www.pinnaclephotography.net), on Flickr
I WAS NOT looking through the viewfinder for this shot. Nor did I use a tripod, as the hillside was sufficiently steep that the tripod would just tumble downhill. To put things in perspective, the largest/closest flower, (an avalanche lily) was about 8 inches (or 20 cm) from the front of my lens. I had to look at the scene through the viewfinder, prefocus, switch the focus to manual to keep it from moving, and lastly, point my camera at all those nice avalanche lilies without looking through the viewfinder and press the shutter while hoping for the best. I knew the composition that I wanted, but that I wouldn't be able to see it through the viewfinder (with the foreground flowers at least)...so I had to shoot this shot about 50 times until everything was lined up perfectly. This would have been much easier using a 60D/600D/T3i and that wonderful tilting LCD screen and live view.

ions said:
Most are gonna whine about their perceived limitations of crop and then HDR the poo out of everything they shoot in the face of good taste and to the detriment of my retina. I can confidently say that cause I've seen it now, sadly, literally hundreds of times.

LOL, I don't think I've ever heard a more accurate statement about the abuse of HDR. I agree completely. HDR has a place, but most people don't use it as intended; a means to bypass the dynamic range limitations of a scene or of their camera. Most just use it as an excuse to induce a nice pleasant brain hemorrhage in anyone with a sense of taste.

By the way, I like your Banff shot of Moraine Lake...someday I'll have to go there...but for now I'll have to stick with saving up for Glacier National Park.[/list]

Upvote 0
Whenever weather sealing and the 7D are mentioned together I think of this Youtube review where the guy puts the camera in the shower with a 24-70 attached! In the shower!! Makes me laugh every time. I'll take his word for it that the camera is... shower ready. :eek: And yeah, as you said, I've been pretty lucky with poorly sealed equipment too. For the longest time I shot with three older Sigma EX lenses which do not have any sealing and they were fine. There are always freak occurrences but I think for the most part the average user is over-protective of their equipment in terms or weather. A good thing.

That's more or less how I use AF as well except with a slight twist that is specific to 7D focusing. This is of course dependent on what I'm shooting. I can trust the AF on that to do everything I've tried so far. Once I figured it out and got the custom functions where I wanted them - which did not happen overnight. Too many people on forums are blaming the cameras for their reluctance to climb the learning curve.

Another thing to consider is video. Yeah, if you're going to do video get a proper video setup and blah blah bah. First of all there are many people doing amazing stuff with these improper video setups. I personally don't care much for video except for one aspect. It's there if I want to capture a moment of a loved one, a chance encounter with wildlife etc. Will any of my videos be among those doing amazing stuff? No, I'm more interested in taking stills, but I have many times taken a video of a scene just so I can say "hey mom, check this out" and her appreciation of it is well worth having the video. Not a big deal and not landscape photography-centric, but it's there if I need it.

I can't speak to the Rebels/60D but I do know the viewfinder on the 7D is just a touch darker than the 5D II with the same lens attached on each. People who have those cameras (not the 60D) that have checked out mine have noted that the 7D viewfinder is brighter than their cameras. I feel a bit bad flogging the 7D the way I have considering the OP didn't list it as an option... oh well :) I guess I'm trying to say is what the 7D is best at is that it does a lot of things very well.

pinnaclephotography said:
I WAS NOT looking through the viewfinder for this shot. Nor did I use a tripod, as the hillside was sufficiently steep that the tripod would just tumble downhill. To put things in perspective, the largest/closest flower, (an avalanche lily) was about 8 inches (or 20 cm) from the front of my lens. I had to look at the scene through the viewfinder, prefocus, switch the focus to manual to keep it from moving, and lastly, point my camera at all those nice avalanche lilies without looking through the viewfinder and press the shutter while hoping for the best. I knew the composition that I wanted, but that I wouldn't be able to see it through the viewfinder (with the foreground flowers at least)...so I had to shoot this shot about 50 times until everything was lined up perfectly. This would have been much easier using a 60D/600D/T3i and that wonderful tilting LCD screen and live view.

The articulating screens look handy but I worry about the long term durability of them. Time and subsequent designs will tell I guess. Have you looked into back button focusing? Fantastic tool when you need to recompose as you have described.

documentaryman said:
pinnaclephotography said:
Thanks documentaryman. All three are single exposure, while using a circular polarizer and graduated neutral density filters. The first shot is basically straight out of camera, minus a few dust and water spots that I removed. I don't do HDR.

After seeing these images, I am convinced now I need to add a graduated neutral density filter to my camera gear.

Amen to that! The price and limited availability of the Lee system makes me want to cry. Definitely a long term investment. Having a good filter set and using it properly certainly minimizes the amount of post processing work required. A ND grad alone would cut my post processing time in half!

Upvote 0
ions said:
Amen to that! The price and limited availability of the Lee system makes me want to cry. Definitely a long term investment. Having a good filter set and using it properly certainly minimizes the amount of post processing work required. A ND grad alone would cut my post processing time in half!

When Lee is not available, consider Hitech. Sure, they are not as good as Lee...but they are much higher quality than Cokin and are still reasonably affordable. I haven't had any particular color cast problems with them. The Lee filter bracket is definitely the one to go with though...I got it cheap at a gear swap a while back but no Lee filters.

Upvote 0

K3nt

"No good photo goes unnoticed!"
Feb 3, 2011
Finland
www.flickr.com
The 18-135mm lens has a nice span and works great as a 'training' lens. However, it suffers badly from chromatic aberration which needs to be fixed in post-processing, no exceptions. But to start out with it's good.
I am at a stage where I could happily lose that lens and move on to wither the 10-20mm EF-S lens for landscapes, but it is crazy expensive and will restrict me in the future for any upgrades I might want to do.
But, get the lens in a bundle, use it, get to know it and the camera and you'll be a happier photographer. ;D

Upvote 0