Buying Camera gear in Aus? Who do you use?

N

niccyboy

Hey all...

Just thought i'd open up a thread on where we buy gear?

Options I have seen and thoughts on the are:

In Aus:

DWI - "sydney" - All imported from HK, over $1000 you can get hit with tax, online credit card payments require you to fax ID and address proof

DD Photo - never purchased from them but heard good things.

Teds - rude staff in Melb cbd

JB Hifi - nice staff and will price match, but their range and lowest prices arent always competitive enough.

Other

Bh Photo
Adorama
Digi Rev

What are your experiences?

Oct 16, 2010
Hi. I'm in Brisbane and we don't have the greatest range of stores. Therefore most of my equipment and film is purchased from B & H and Adorama. Its a little petty, but I once bought a used camera from Adorama which had an undisclosed broken control wheel. Therefore, if the price of an item is the same (which it almost always is), I go with B & H. But , on the whole, both are excellent.

I also like the Adoramapix photo books and think they are a lot better (both quality and price) when compared with local options.

The problem with buying from overseas is the cost of shipping, which has increased a lot in recent years. Therefore, for occassional small purchases, I go to Photocontinental. It is also where I normally pick up my B & W processing chemicals and I also use them for my E6 processing. Very friendly service and they have a lot of stock on hand. But their prices aren't the best. (Although their B & W film prices aren't too bad). This is my favourite shop and I wish I could buy more there. But usually their prices are just too high compared with the competition. Velvia at $22.50/roll? C'mon!

I recently tried BlancoNegro in Sydney for some paper and chemicals. They supply Foma products. Wow! Talk about top service! I definitely intend to go back.

My last camera was purchased from DigitalCameraWarehouse (an EPL-1). From what I could see, they had the best prices for what I was after in the world (after factoring in postage). And they've got a local shop. When I went to pick up the camera, I was also keen to pick up a few accessories - memory cards, extra battery, maybe a second lens. But the staff were so disinterested in helping customers that I just took the camera and left. Oddly enough, what turned me off was how they dealt with an older couple before me that were asking some really basic questions and taking their time in making a decision. (I can't remember exactly but I think it was about which P & S to go with). Just got this vibe that the level of question was well below the salesgirls high level of technical competence that it wasn't worth her time to be patient and show respect and understanding for the customer. Then I was next and only wanted to buy a $300 camera too. Sorry, but we can't all be buying a 1Ds. (Oddly enough, if I had purchased it online and had it shipped out, I wouldn't have experienced this and would probably be telling everyone how awesome they are.)

I've also purchased a few things from camerasdirect.com.au. Everything was great with them. But a couple of years ago, they were price leaders. Now they're not so much. Apart from some memory cards, its been a while since I've purchased anything from them.

Other than that, if I'm buying film on eBay I like "Pbarcelon" and "Cheap_Shots_Au". Both have good prices and ship quickly with good shipping rates.

My last purchase was from "Gadget Infinity" for a flash trigger. All good there, too.

I don't know if I've been lucky, but I've never really had a major problem with any of the suppliers I use. Even poor service (such as digitalcamerawarehouse) doesn't really phase me as they had the product I wanted, at the best price and they had it in stock in a shop a few suburbs away. What more could I ask for?

Upvote 0
Oct 16, 2010
The other way of thinking about the DCW experience (or as mentioned, JB Hifi) is that you can't expect staff at a high volume, low margin business to be able to dedicate a lot of time to you. When you are dealing with a company like "Teds", which does have higher margins built in, you expect a much higher level of service.

Its been interesting following the complaints from retailers and their attempts to make online shopping harder by trying to introduce customs delays and GST on all purchases. They just don't get it. Retailing is about offering good service at a convenient location. Do this right and people will happily pay a premium for your products. Get it wrong and there are numerous other suppliers out there. I worry about the remaining camera stores in Australia. If you know what you want, buying online is the way to go.

Upvote 0
In Perth I tend to buy from PRA Imaging in Northbridge. http://www.praimaging.com.au/

I live in a country area and have always found them helpful and postage quick.

For sub-$1000 items DigitalREV tends to get my money. Sometimes DigitalREV's anti-fraud requirements are over the top though. If you're randomly flagged and have to go through the extra requirements it's a royal pain in the arse.

Upvote 0

dr croubie

Too many photos, too little time.
Jun 1, 2011
In adelaide i'm glad I bought all my camera stuff in Europe from fotokonijnenberg.nl
7D + 15-85 + 70-300nonL + 72mm filter + 58mm filter + 8GB Sandisk extreme, all for the same price (at the time) as Teds had a 7D + 15-85.
Bought a 70-300L just before i left europe for good, once i got the tax back it was $1400 or so (cf teds website $2100).
(I also worked out the other day, compare teds to fotokonijnenberg, if you buy two kits of 5D2 + 24-105, you'll nearly pay back your airfare from here to amsterdam $7k vs $8k)

I suppose if i had to buy stuff here in Adelaide, my favourite guys are Twin City Camera House on Grenfell St, it's where i got my Lowepro 350AW for $180 (even though it was $200, when i came back a few months later the guy remembered he'd told me the lower price so gave me it for that).
The Camera House in the central market also has a few really knowledgeable staff, they've got lots of second hand and Medium Format Film stuff, but then for 2nd hand film-era you can't beat ebay for prices.

I've also got a mate who goes to Hong Kong regularly, i'm trying not to buy anything new anytime soon, but i'm sure he could hook me up with good prices (ie, when i fall for a 5D3 or 200-400 and win the lottery).

Does anyone else know good online places around here?

Upvote 0
Adelaide Based here.

I have bought some stuff from E-Global too but i find that with most things from them, once you add the freight on top you don't really get that much of a bargain. Mind you on saying that it also depends on what you are buying at the time.

But my 2 favourite stores are

1. Photographic Wholesalers On Hutt Street.
Brian an the staff in there know their stuff and are fairly cheap too.
2. Diamonds Camera and Video on Rundle Street.
At first they seemed a little intimidating to deal with but after chatting to the guys there they warmed up a lot and are very helpful.

Worst Stores

For Price and Customer service are TEDS (pick a location they are all the same) Rude staff, talk to you as if you are a piece of crap and super overpriced.

and

CameraHouse at City Cross, Now i don't know if its just the fact that they are bitter or just plane angry that most of their customers go there and then get a price then go over to JB or Harvey Norman and either price match or they are cheaper to begin with. Either way they seem to be rude and not very knowledgable about DSLRs, BUT ask them anything about a point and shoot and they can go on all day. So i guess its more to do with target markets.

On the Fence

JB Hifi. (All Stores)
The pricing fluctuates wildly, especially before they have a sale of some form. The only real reason that i ever use these guys is if i have to price match someone and they have the items at the time. But their customer service is either they want to be your mate or they have read the brochure on the item you are looking at and now they are an expert.... until you ask them Why is feature A better? Then they have that blank look on their faces (i sometime just do that to make them sweat a little, its mean but fun ;D )

Upvote 0
M

MazV-L

In NSW, Coffs Harbour Camera House. Most of the staff are photographers themselves so are knowledgable and helpful. Also they are an Australian authorised Canon Dealer, it can come in very handy having your gear covered by an Australian Canon Warranty (as I've found out by experience).

I've also considered for convenience-sake purchasing through the on-line Digi-direct store (also authorised Aussie Canon dealer) has anyone had experience of how they are as far as customer-service goes?

Upvote 0
Funny that you mention warranties. I also notice that Kogan are now selling Canon and Nikon. Prices look excellent with a 60D at $876. An 1100D is $406. But The Australian did an article about them today which criticised them heavily for importing stock from Hong Kong and not having Canon Australia warranties.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/australian-it/bargain-goods-at-a-cut-prive-but-watch-the-warranty/story-e6frgakx-1226141076989

Upvote 0
I live near Hobart and get just about all my stuff from Cameras Direct. I always seem to get my stuff reliably the next day when I order it early enough and never had any sort of problems. Fortunately I've never had reason to use their warranty service, but the conditions read OK like included freight both ways, anyone got experience with them in that regard?

I'd also be interested to hear what Canon Australia are like with warranties if you're not eligible for CPS. Just wondering if there's a lot of advantage to non-grey items as long as the reseller does a reasonable job of honouring the warranty.

Upvote 0
I've bought a 580EXII and a 500D body from DWI, and have had no problems. Good prices - although they've just gone up $50+ with our falling dollar.

I've also bought a 70-200 2.8 IS II from B and H in the US (on Bryan from the Digital Picture's recommendation) and it's been great. The price (last November - with a rebate offered at the time) has yet to be beaten, and the packaging was excellent.

I've been to DCW in Sydney, and the staff have been helpful and polite (sad to hear about Brisbane in an earlier post), and bought a 50mm 1.8 among other things.

Hope this helps.

Upvote 0
Jan 21, 2011
On the odd occasion you can get a good deal out of Michael's in Melbourne. In general, they are expensive, but their service is usually very good. On the odd occasion they will surprise you with a discount - otherwise I go elsewhere.

I saw one mention of bad attitude from Teds in Melbourne - I have had both lousy attitude (I went up the road and bought from Michael's) and great service from Teds. It depends who is serving you.

Upvote 0
N

noxious_nasties

I went to foto riesel in sydney the other day and let's just say the woman their was completely useless.
I walked in, had a look around and then got asked if I wanted any help. I asked her what her prices on the 7D
were and she goes I could look it up on the net... Seriously why bother even asking if I wanted help;
Some of the male staff I talked to another time were different and much more helpful, but this lady just
made me want to lose it. Don't think I'll be going there for awhile.

If I was to buy a 5diii (when it comes out) and some pro gear where would you go? I'm considering adorama
but I don't know the deal with import duties, taxes etc. I could possibly have some relitives get it in america and
then reship it here as a "gift" which may eliminate some fees. Anyone know if canon does international warranty?

Cheers

Upvote 0