C200 just got killed off by Panasonic.

leGreve

Full time photographer and film maker omnifilm.dk
Nov 6, 2010
Denmark
vimeo.com
Presenting the Panasonic AU-EVA1-

http://www.newsshooter.com/2017/06/03/panasonic-au-eva1/

This is in my opinion as close as I can get to a wishful camera for a decent price.

- 4K (60fps)
- UHD (60fps)
- HD/2K (240fps)
- 720 (240fps)
- 10bit 4:2:2 all the way up to 4K
- 5.7K raw out to recorder in a future update
- stripped down will be useable on gimbals and drones
- Colorscience that matches the GH5
- SHOOTS TO SD CARDS!
- Sensor EIS
- Native EF mount
- Native dual ISO
- Swingable IR filter
- Var ND filter
- 1.2kg base weight :O (lighter than your 70-200 2.8L II)

Price: 8.000 dollars, that's 500 more than the C200.

Seriously... this is almost a no questions asked buy. I can't imagine the C200 delivering anything that could crush this.

Apr 29, 2012
neuroanatomist said:
Agree, competition is a good thing. I suspect plenty of C200s will still be sold.

C200 has internal RAW, DPAF +touchscreen, Canon colourscience, better ND options

This has a better non-RAW code (10 bit), in body IS, and should have better high frame rate (240 vs 180)

People will be choosing between them (and the fs7ii) based on which of those things are most important to them. In all likelihood they'll both be amazing cameras in the right hands.

Upvote 0
Mar 18, 2015
Agree with the general sentiment (except the dramatic title).

It's great to have more choice with a native EF mount. This confirms that EF is the only serious video lens mount choice, short of PL.

The C200 will be more suited to my needs because it has better focus, colour science, and on-board RAW, but this Panasonic provides high-speed options that Canon EF shooters did not have before (without using some kind of lens-mount adapter).

I do find it odd that $8,000 doesn't buy you a better storage medium than SD. That really forces you into using an external recorder, which is OK 90% of the time, but not on a gimbal. It also makes some shots more difficult to rig (car interiors, for instance).

Upvote 0

Keith_Reeder

I really don't mind offending trolls.
Feb 8, 2014
Blyth, NE England
leGreve said:
I can't imagine the C200 delivering anything that could crush this.

Except for this, maybe? (a comment by a NewsShooter site mod, only an hour ago):
No idea about rolling shutter. There isn't even a working version of the camera yet.

Spec sheet never beats actual, proven, working camera...

Upvote 0
Apr 29, 2012
Sharlin said:
syder said:
This has a better non-RAW code (10 bit), in body IS, and should have better high frame rate (240 vs 180)

In-body digital IS. The sensor does not move.

It's still an improvement on having no IS. And with the oversampling from a 5.7K sensor you almost certainly dont lose anything in terms of resolution.

Doesn't make it a better camera than a C200, but if you shoot a lot of handheld footage with fast primes it'd certainly be a factor in your decision.

For me personally, and for documentary/event work generally, DPAF is probably more useful than anything the EVA-1 does. I really would have liked a 10-bit internal codec though, and budget wont stretch to the C300mkii. As it is, I'll likely wait to see what the C200 xf-avc update offers.

Upvote 0